Don Feld, Home Buyer in Penn Valley, CA

Landlord/House size requirements for renting to Section 8 people

Asked by Don Feld, Penn Valley, CA Sun Mar 9, 2008

I would like to buy a low cost house in the Del Paso Heights area to rent to Section 8 people. What are the house requirements (size, number of bedrooms, age, etc) to rent to Section 8 people. I would like a positive cash flow also.

Answers

6
Ed Favinger’s answer
Don...

Listen I run a property management business http://www.haven-properties.com and have some experience in Section 8 requirements.

You want to screen your applicants as much as you would any other prospective tenant. The County will make most of the payment and you should get a copy of their grant level cert..

Once they are in the tenant pays their small portion and the County pays the rest. The County will inspect your home prior to approving the Section 8 voucher for that tenant. They will also do an "annual inspection" about a month or so before the end of their lease.

I personally don't like Section 8 although for the lower end rental market, they are a great source for income for folks that would not otherwise be able to pay their rent.

The big reason I don't like them is that they (the county) will not do much to help you if you have a problem with the tenant and they will "nit-pick" some items that could be "deferred"... so any defects will be required to be repaired prior to the tenant moving in.. and trust me... the County moves real slow...

I hope this helps...

In the meantime.. Make it a Great Day....
the section 8 requirements are typically geared towards habitability. expect to be inspected regularly and make repairs in a correct and timely manner.

choosing tenants is especially important in the world of section 8...the tenants are sometimes the bottom of the barrel as regards the applicant pool (i said SOMETIMES).

there are also lease terms that you may not be willing to agree to...be sure to ask the plan administrator or applicant for a full copy of all lease documents they will want.

they have rent amount limits as well that are local i think. i would recommend getting some LOCAL input from the landlords in your area who have a few experiences with the sec 8's. try the housing forum at craigslist.

and positive cash flow? i grinned at that...every landlord dreams of that...few really get it in the first few years of ownership.
Don,
I have a house in Del Paso Heights for sale for $155,000. It is a 3bed 2 bath house, 1325 sq. ft.. A large back yard, a seprate garden area and 2 storeage sheds. If you are interested give me a call. 916-927-0775 Ask for Jerry
Sounds great. If it's still available on June 1, please email me at: kim_lane_cal@yahoo.com. I'm preapproved, but won't return to CA til then.
Flag Tue Jan 7, 2014
Hi Don,

You should check out the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency's website at http://www.shra.org. You should be able to find any information you are seeking there.

Erin
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
Erin Stumpf, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Don - I've never heard of any size requirements for Section 8 housing.....One item to consider related to Section 8: should there be delays in getting your government subsidy, possibly due to a delayed budget, are you comfortable in asking your tenant to pay their full rent?

Regarding your projected cash flow, just make sure whatever rental amount you're projecting, reduce this by 25% to account for items like maintenance costs/vacancy periods/property management fees, advertizing, fees, etc

Jeff
The Government does not tell you what size home you can rent! Do a search! There is no difference in what you can ordinarily rent and a Section 8!