Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Gabriel Palo…, Real Estate Pro in Pompano Beach, FL

Knocking the competition often backfires . How do you compete with your peers and still keep their respect?

Asked by Gabriel Palotas, Pompano Beach, FL Thu Nov 3, 2011

Steal somebody's thunder
to do something that takes attention away from what someone else has done to get their business.

Answers

20
Gabriel,

Thanks for the question. There are still agents in the field who thrive on stealing somebody's thunder and try to make other agents look incompetent when they are not. Rather than earn respect by giving respect, some choose the bully approach. I have closed many successful deals with other agents by taking the "high road" approach while treating those agents like allies rather than competition. It is amazing the power we have individually to make a difference in our communications and dealings with other agents. Regardless if you are buyer's agent or seller's agent without the support of each other in the field few of us would be successful. Knowing I have done the right things by the agents and clients on a daily basis is an overwhelming reward for me.
"Respect all fear none," said New York Giants Coach Tom Coughlin recently, repeating an oft-cited sports adage. "Speak no ill of any, respect all who deserve respect," says Coach Peter Leeds of CG Real Estate. What does one gain in running down competitors -- or anyone else for that matter.
Web Reference: http://www.cgrealestate.net
There is age old Expression :
"You can't change a Leopards Spots"
I tell my Team "We don't need to, We have stripes" there is no reason to bad mouth the competition, they will do that on their own.

Sure when you do something right and others see it they will copy, so what! This is a sales business, being the best is more about being the best to You, not showboating for someone else.

Honesty and Integrity Shows, you don't have to sell it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
It a poor excuse of a dog that won't wag it's own tail.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Stay positive. Talk about your company, especially if it has a great reputation, your own accomplishemnts, education, marketing, etc.
leave mudslinging to the politicians. It does no good and just irritates everybody.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
You compete by selling yourself.

If you have a track record of lots of sales, or quick sales, sell that.

If your parent company is dominant in the area, sell that.

If you've lived in the area a long time, sell that.

If you're of a particular nationality or ethnicity (within the bounds of the Code of Ethics), sell that . . . presumably to others of a similar nationality or ethnicity.

If you're a part of a team, sell the benefits of a team.

If you're just an individual competing against a team, sell the benefits of personalized service.

If you're older, sell the benefits of experience.

If you're younger, sell the benefits of freshness and enthusiasm.

If in your previous life you were an accountant, a teacher, a military officer, a company executive, or whatever, sell that experience.

If you're with a full service (and full commission) brokerage, sell the benefits of full service.

If you're with a discount brokerage, sell the benefits of a discounted commission.

If you've got additional credentials, sell the benefits of those.

If you walk into a listing appointment and see that the sellers are fans of a particular team (and you happen to be, as well) sell that common interest.

If your brokerage is part of a franchise, sell the advantages of listing with a franchise member.

If your brokerage is locally owned, sell the advantages of listing with a locally-owned company.

It all comes down to selling the benefits you have to offer. No need to knock the competition. Any agent today can look through the list above and find 3, 4, 5, or more strong selling points. It's not rocket science. But it is effective and it is good business.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
It's hard staying on top of your game with tons of competition out there. I believe in the honest and straightforward approach. I know alot of agents that can't even deliever, when they say they are going to do something. I also find that answering emails and returning phones calls is a huge plus. I hate when I call another agents, then answering machine says they are not going to return phone calls until after 5pm?! What?! I think email is the best method of communicating with anyone. But what about people that need to get in touch with you by phone and why should they have to wait all day to talk to you?. Communication is key.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Most of my clients come to me by way of a referral for treating someone the right way. My peers and I work together to help each other when we can and try to focus on how each of us can build our business. There are, of course, ideas I am trying that I keep to myself. When you live the Golden Rule and treat others as you would want to be treated, people take note and see how you are a true professional. This earns you respect. You do not need to brag how busy you are, your peers know by your actions. If you are looking for a home in Scottsdale, there are many wonderful professionals out there. If you need any help, please give me a call and I would be happy to answer questions you may have. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you may do.

Howard Rudin
REALTOR
602-390-8088
John Hall & Associates
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
In business and in life, I believe in focusing on what I am and what I can do for clients and have done. There are a lot of great ideas out there. I keep my eyes on the competition not so that I can knock them down but add their good ideas to what I am doing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Invent a better mousetrap or clone the competitions.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Show up on time for appointments, answer the phone, return emails/voicemails promptly, DO what you SAY. In short, behave consistently like a PRO. This is the best way to knock your competitor out of the box. This sounds simple, but it's actually quite difficult for most folks in the sales profession to do. I've been doing this for 22 years as a Mortgage Banker; it works and I do this every single day.

Trevor Curran NMLS #40140
Web Reference: http://tcurranmortgage.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Dear Gabriel:

FIRST knocking the competition is a belief in scarcity.

You must change your mindset that if someone did a deal, they in fact DID NOT STEAL THE DEAL FROM YOU.

Second, competition is a low state.

Bad things happen to people in low states, so I AVOID low states situation and people in them at all costs.

So how do you compete with your peers and still keep their respect?

You CREATE a Win/Win situation or walk away from the deal.

As soon as I know the other agent is in a low state, allowing their EGO to run the deal, I advise my clients and let them decide if they really want to take what should be a pleasant experience and ALLOW the other agent to turn it into a nightmare .

I can't decide for my client if we should go find another home, that's for them to decide. but it is my duty to WARN them that this agent will most likely turn their buying a home into a lot of drama that NOBODY NEEDS.

Luckily in 11 years I can count on one hand the number of agents I hope I never see again.

Hope this helps!

Terry S. Smith

Scottsdale Luxury Homes

45 Year Arizona Resident

DPR Realty LLC

8341 E. Gelding Drive

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Direct (602) 763-1858

Office (480) 994-0800

E-Fax (888) 315-2680

ScottsdaleForeclosures@Gmail.com

Http://www.ScottsdaleLenderForeclosure.com

Have a Great Day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Accentuate the positives that you bring. Shift the conversation to find out what is important to your potential client and how your experience best fits their needs. Keep the competition in YOUR mind, not the mind of the client.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
I don't think you ever need to knock anyone. You show up with results you can prove you'll never need to knock anyone, good luck!
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams AZ Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Keep your unflattering comments to yourself.
Especially if he is wearing a tux with a bulge under the armpit.
Mind your own business and drive a Rolls Royce.
Everyone else is a good Agent, but here is what I and my company can do better for YOU!
If you are any good at what you do you should not have to worry about any competitors because you will be earning business. Not stealing it.

Focus on being better than you were yesterday. Rinse, repeat.
Of course "knocking the competition" backfires! Generally, I find that people lose respect for those in any business who resort to mudslinging as it often only highlights the mudslinger's own insecurities. It should be no surprise that one may compete with peers and gain respect by simply being true to one's word, working hard, following through - and being effective. By doing your job and taking care of your clients instead of focussing on what anyone else is doing - you create your own "thunder" and spread good will everywhere you go.
Web Reference: http://www.caseykeith.com
Just keep your information on th subject of the time not the subject of the issue. Looking for fault only points out your fault!