Nilpil.nilpi…, Home Buyer in

Kitchen in the basement

Asked by Nilpil.nilpil%40gmail.com, Sun Dec 2, 2012

Im planning to put an offer on the house in north Edison. This house has unfinished basement. The owner prior to current owner had finished basement with kitchen and full bath without permit. As part of last sale county asked to ripped down the entire finished basement because it didnt have permit. I wanted to know if it's allowed to have second kitchen in the basement in middlesex(Edison) county

Answers

8
In most towns you are required to have building permits for all basements that are finished. Usually they will not object to you having a kitchen set up as long as there is not a stove or cooking area. They usually are okay with cabinets and a sink or even a bar area. To be sure call the construction dept at Edison Twp before doing any improvements.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Nilpil,

Also, it's the township of Edison, NOt the county who has jurisdiction over approving or denying the application.

You can call the township engineering department at (732) 248-7248 but better is to do directly there and ask the questions as well as get any necessary paperwork to will need to file an application.
Here's the link to information on when you need a permit:

http://www.edisonnj.org/index.asp?Type=B_LIST&SEC={2F874…
@ andrew

Just to clarify, in addition to applying for the building permits at the building department, the owner usually has to get an approval from the zoning board too (to make sure this is NOT being converted to a separate living space. )

I never said the owner does not have to go to/contact the building department. That's where you get the plans approved and the permits issued.
Talk to the township before you proceed if this is important to your decision.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.FeenickHomes.com
Well if Mary says you can have one with proper permits and she is on the planning board. I would go with that. Normally I would recommend you speak to the local building department.
that word would be approved....not aporved...I hate typos
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Nilpil

You CANNOT put in a second kitchen without permits in Edison...you will have to have your contractor (or yourself if you are doing it yourself) submit plans and have the plans aporved, then have it inspected for:

framing (if you are changing/adding walls)

plumbing (installation of gas lines/sinks pipes, etc), and

electrical (if you are changing ANY electrical work, adding lights/ outlets etc)

It's not to make money, but to make sure everything is done up to current codes to prevent flooding from improperly installed pipine/drainage, and god forbid, a fire from faulty electric or gas line installation.

It's also to make sure you are not converting a legal single family home into an ILLEGAL 2 family home.

I know this because I am on the Edison zoning board as well as being a Realtor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Please check with the town building/planning development where the property is located. Based on your statement, the previous owner had his finished basement ripped down because permit has not been pulled and Certificate of Occupancy, obviously, has not been issued.

You don't want to be in the same dilemma.

Therefore, talk to the proper town authorities to make the addition/alterations legal.

Best of Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012