Home Buying in Kirkland>Question Details

Mmyy, Home Buyer in Kirkland, WA

Kingsgate is not an ideal area for housing, right? Reasons?

Asked by Mmyy, Kirkland, WA Fri Feb 1, 2013

Answers

12
The best thing that you can do for yourself is to drive through the neighborhood. There are many neighborhoods that get a bad rap from time to time that are great neighborhoods. Sometimes it depends on the street that you drive down. Many neighborhoods it greatly depends on the street that you live on. How well are the neighbors taking care of their properties? I like Kingsgate I there are some good properties in the area. The location is very good.
While not exactly "Kingsgate", the area East of the shopping center has a lot of good neighborhoods. I am thinking of the hillside that is perched above Woodinville on the Kirkland/Woodinville line. Some have nice views and quick access to the wineries, trail, and concerts. In general, I think that Kingsgate is undervalued still and we should see some good appreciation in the area. It is accessible to freeways which quickly take you to some of our biggest employment centers, which will always make it a desirable place to live.
I was wondering the same thing as I grew up about 1/2 hour away and while Kirkland, Redmond, and Bellevue were familiar and seemed nice, I always got the impression that Kingsgate/Totem Lake were a little 'trashy'. I do NOT mean to offend anyone, and I do not want to ignorantly follow this impression without looking into it. I appreciate the comments already made as it's helping me get a better impression.

That said, I'd like to ask a follow-up:
Are there 'polished' neighborhoods (i.e. not rundown, well-manicured, nice looking shopping centers, not a lot of vacant shops, etc)?

Thank you in advance for your answers and for your patience with my existing impressions (I'm here to find the truth).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
I think Kingsgate is a hidden gem within Kirkland, as others have mentioned you have Kirkland address, Lake Washington Schools, close proximity to EVERYTHING!! One other factor to Kingsgate that is often forgotten is a number of the neighborhoods have terrific amenities including community pools and clubhouses for an affordable monthly HOA -- who wouldn't love that? You will also find some spacious homes on sometimes larger lots and many with terrific updates. Don't write it off so quickly you may be surprised. Are there other neighborhood that may be considered more sought after...sure but they come with a price tag and often a hefty one.

http://www.searchseattle.net/blog/kingsgate-homes-for-sale-a…
It's not? I guess Bill Gates doesn't live there, but then again - can you afford Medina?

There are some nice houses, a nice mix of apartments, some condos, good commercial, great access to services and medical care . . . what's wrong with it, again?
Hi Mmyy,

Kingsgate is in the Lake Washington school district, sports a Kirkland address, is a somewhat affordable price range, is close to Evergreen Hospital and surrounding medical facilities.

So that you can get some free information, go to http://www.buyandsellseattlerealestate.com , search the 98034 zip code, which is the zip code for the Kingsgate area and you can see properties for sale. Click on the Market Insider tab and you will be able to see demographics, school reports, market statistics, and crime statistics. This may be all you need to make your own decision about the desirability of the Kingsgate area.

You can also drive through the area and get our own feel for it.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions after you view the reports.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Kingsgate has a wide variety of demographics depending on the specific area. Like many of the others who responded, I have lived in the Kirkland area for many years and have always felt that Kingsgate is a comfortable area. As mentioned, the homes are priced slightly less than many areas of Kirkland but it does have pockets of new construction and remodels. The west side of 405 will also have a wide variety in pricing and demographics. You will pay more for the west side but many people enjoy the area and convenience to downtown Kirkland. Either are good areas. It will come down to your comfort level and budget.
If you need more information feel free to contact me at any time.
Best of luck!
I live near Kingsgate currently and grew up in the area. Have lived here for the better part of 30 years and have had no problems. Raising my kids here now.
"poor people "??

there are poor people everywhere
I heard it's not very safe there, since there are some poor people living there..... I don't really know, all of this is coming from what i heard.

Is it better to stay western side of I405?
I'm in the Highlands, with a view, overlooking downtown Kirkland. There are 3 foreclosures in my immediate neighborhood. I guess we're poor people here, too. Seriously, Kingsgate is lovely family area close to everything. Parks, shopping and all income levels. As in ANY area, look at the homes, walk around the neighborhood and see if it feels like a fit.
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
seems like there has been tons of housing in that area for decades .....................
Mmyy,
Why? I lived in Kingsgate many years ago and enjoyed it. Good shopping nearby, I love the Pizza Bank. The commute may be an issue depending on where you want to go, but it's really not much worse than many other places.
The schools are good, so I guess I don't understand your question.
Home prices in Kingsgate are lower than many parts of Kirkland, so it could be a great place. I guess it will depend on what you are looking for.