Home Buying in Sun City>Question Details

Brian, Other/Just Looking in Sun City, AZ

Just when i'm ready to put my house on the market in Michigan and come to sun city to look for a house i find out about west valley fever. I

Asked by Brian, Sun City, AZ Wed Mar 23, 2011

guess I'll stay in michigan.

Answers

9
I have been here 3 years and this is the first I have heard of this affliction. As Matt Puzz said, millions live here quite successful.

Consult your doctor to see if this is a concern for you personally.

The Mayo Clinic site http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/valley-fever/DS00695 said: Mild cases of valley fever usually go away on their own. In more severe cases of valley fever, doctors prescribe anti-fungal medications that can treat the underlying infection.
My husband moved from Michigan to Phoenix 40 years ago. He has never had valley fever nor has any of his friends or coworkers. Every area has potential health risks, especially traveling on icy roads. Come check it out for yourself!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Moved here 27 years ago. Have horses, spent most time outside, and no one in my family has contracted Valley Fever. (BTW - it is not West Valley Fever - just Valley Fever. "West" is associated with Nile, as in West Nile, which is not the problem here.) Valley Fever is not restricted to our "valley" or even to Arizona.

Before we moved, our Vet warned us about the pets and Valley fever as they can get it, especially if they play the dirt or spend most of their time outside. Anyone can get an anti-body test to see if they have been exposed, but most who do get it just have mild cold symptoms.

Anyone can also contract aspergillious from the dirt/dust too - which is a different fungal infection that comes from the soil - and it is all around you in Michigan. Would only think one would need to worry if you have a compromised immune system or lung disorder. It is kind of like saying you want to come to AZ because of the mild winters and sunshine, then worry about the possibility of skin cancer. Sun Block and hats work well for that threat, just like anti-fungals are available to handle Valley Fever if you needed them.

No matter where you decide to live, there will be something that can be used against it, whether it be the cold and freezing roadways or snakes or alligators, or too much rain, or too little rain, or bugs & humidity in Florida, pollution in CA, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. . . . A little Valley Fever isn't so bad. Sorry you won't be joining us.
Hi Brian, it's 75 degrees and gorgeous today! I've been here since 1979 and have never gotten VF. If you're working in a field everyday and breathing in dust, I think your chances of getting it may be higher, but if not, see Jay Thompson's stat's. We'll miss you :)
I think all the previous people have mentioned how Valley Fever gets to us in teh desert. Your chances of getting it are fairly slim, but you should probably check with your present Dr. to see what he/she thinks. I personally found the lifestyle worth the risk. I have been here for over 10 years now. Let me know if you want to look for a home in Sun City.

Barbara@BarbaraNichols.com
Dear Brian, It sounds like you aren't ready to leave Michigan if a little thing like the possibility of catching Valley Fever is scaring you off. I'd me more afraid of Lyme Disease in your area than about Valley Fever in the desert. How about a compromise, come on up to the White Mountains. You can have your four seasons and still be close enough to Phoenix to run down there when you want to.
I think that the others have just about covered answering the question. We would love to have you join us here in sunny AZ but if you choose to stay in Michigan please be careful of the ice and snow. I hear it can be deadly:) LOL Take care!
Coccidioidomycosis is the name for Valley Fever.. it is not just Phoenix but any desert region. It would be like me saying I am not moving to Michigan because of lyme tick disease.

You should find out more. I am from Arizona and lived here all of my life..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002299/
Hope you reconsider.
If you are referring to Valley Fever that has been in Arizona for a long time. I am not a doctor but it is caused by something that is in the dirt and anyone that has lived here for a long time has probably had it. Valley Fever can be as harmless as a sniffles or can be fatal. I am sure that one of the bouts I had as a cold was probably Valley Fever in disguise. I would consult with your doctor if this is a concern for you and become educated on the illness before making the investment in some real estate. There are millions of people that live here and I am sure that many of them did not think twice about moving to the Valley because of Valley Fever. Good Luck to you and talk to your doctor.

Matt Puzz
Licensed Loan Originator
Amerifirst Financial, Inc.
1910 S. Stapley Drive #209
Mesa, AZ 85204
Direct: 602-410-9333
Office: 480-682-6617
Fax: 480-344-3687
NMLS# 213777 AZ LO-0915068
Apply Online: http://www.mattpuzz.com
Web Reference: http://www.mattpuzz.com