Home Buying in Champaign>Question Details

Snfork, Home Buyer in Champaign County, IL

Just found out that the closing for my new house will be at the seller's attorney's office. It's a cash transaction, can I trust

Asked by Snfork, Champaign County, IL Thu Aug 19, 2010

the title?

Help the community by answering this question:


It is a common practice for cash transactions to be done at the attorney's office. The documents should be explained to you and if you have questions don't be afraid to ask. Your Realtor should be able to help you as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 21, 2010
You're fine. As long as you have an attorney. Some attorneys are agents for various title companies and it just makes it convenient to close at their offices. It's done quite often.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Hi Snfork. Yes, this is common practice when the seller chooses title. You didn't list how much the transaction is for, but it's always a good idea to be represented by an attorney for your closing. Better yet, always run your contracts by an attorney before you sign, too. When you use an attorney from beginning to end on a purchase or sale, you're making sure everything is legal and done right. It's the best $500-1000 that you could possibly spend.

If you had an attorney representing you in this purchase, he'd review the title to make sure it's kosher.


Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
I always suggest my buyers and sellers have a licensed Illinois attorney present in the transaction and closing, regardless of how many times you bought and sold. You do this not in case things go normally, but just in case things go awry. Note: Realtors cannot practice law. In all probability your title work will be just fine.

Jerry Grodesky Broker
United Country Farm and Lake Houses
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
The physical location where the closing happens really doesn't matter. What matters is whether you've got the right team in place advising you to make the best decision(s).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 21, 2010

If you do not already have one, hire a real estate attorney just to assist you to review the documents (like title, contract stipulations etc) prior to closing, and to review the documents you actually sign at the closing table. It's worth the extra money now rather than having problems after the fact.
Title companies do closings all the time, but if you are concerned, having someone to represent you is invaluable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Even as a cash transaction, you as teh buyer have a right to have your attorney, title company or closing company represent you in the closing. First of all when you wrote your offer it should of stated where the closing would take place, and at worst you should have wrote in "at the buyers attorneys office" if you did not already have an attorney, that statement gives you time to get one.

The attorney will look out for your bets interests, they will complete the title search to make sure the property is free of liens when your purcahse, they will review the sellers deed transfering the property to you to make sure it is acceptable and complete the closing, including preparing the settlement statement known as the HUD and conduct teh actual signing. You should not rely on teh sellers attorney that is looking out for the seller who is not looking our for your best interests.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010

I do not see any problem here. Just read the documents you are signing first or have someone you trust assist you. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Hi, it is very normal procedure for the Realtor for the Seller to select the title company and have the closing in the attorney's office (or sometimes at the title company's offices), I have done many closings at the Seller's attorney's office.... But yes you should have someone with you - it is always a very good idea to hire a real estate attorney who is at your side and makes sure that all the paperwork is correctly issued and looks them over for you and also explains them to you at the closing, it is a relatively small amount to pay to protect your interest
in a large investment....

Good Luck to you!
Edith YourRealtor4Life
Your Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Marjorie is absolutley right, you need someone on your side!
Web Reference: http://www.jimmccowan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Who is representing you? That is your biggest concern. Where the transaction closes is not important, but not having your own Realtor and attorney to protect you is.

Regards, Marjorie
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer