Sally English, Real Estate Pro in 30345

Just added Quick Response (QR) codes to our English Team signs/flyers. Looking for feedback on how many consumers have a QR app on their smart phone.

Asked by Sally English, 30345 Thu Nov 17, 2011

Answers

8
Sally,

This will take some tracking, but one of my friends (we met via Trulia, by the way) is a principal at Atlanta's Vert Mobile, a growing mobile ad agency with a who's who list of clients...

I decided to google for Vert's opinion on this and I found an article about QR code "Do's and Don'ts" that one of Vert's employees wrote last month. It's in the web reference.

What I take from it is that QR codes need to be on our flyers, cards and other B to C marketing:

"Do: Put QR Codes on handouts and flyers. People will typically scan them right away and sign up for whatever sweepstakes, coupon or deal the QR takes them to."

And that QR codes may or may not need to be on our signs:

"Do Not: Put QR codes out of reach…like on top of a building. Or make it so small that even if you could reach it, it wouldn’t scan."

Like Alan says in his answer below, more and more folks have the capability to read a QR code.

I'll state that more and more people are trained to be curious about QR codes...

So, our usage of these in the RE agency business will become more frequent, and our careful or not so careful deployment of QR codes will affect our reputations - what are we delivering as a value add for the consumer's QR curiosity?

If we simply use QR codes to make information convenient, then that's cool, but how about specials, incentives and other rewards? These ideas may help us breakthrough to a consumer in a unique way, and should really make a difference in our property marketing...

I'll conclude with this copy/paste from wikipedia:

"In the USA, QR code usage is expanding.[citation needed] During the month of June 2011, according to one study, 14 million mobile users scanned a QR code or a barcode. Some 58% of those users scanned a QR or bar code from their home, while 39% scanned from retail stores; 53% of the 14 million users were men between the ages of 18 and 34.

While the adoption of QR codes in some markets has been slow to begin (particularly in markets such as the United States, where competing standards such as Data Matrix exist), the technology is gaining some traction in the smartphone market. Many Android, Nokia, Blackberry handsets, and the Nintendo 3DS, come with QR code readers installed. QR reader software is available for most mobile platforms. Moreover, there are a number of online QR code generators which enable users to create QR codes for their own needs."

So, Sally - Based on this thinking that I'm doing, I'll go out on a limb and say that if 100 people drive by one of your flyer boxes, 3-5 will grab a flyer and 1-2 will click on the QR code...only 4-5 folks out of 1000 would get out of their car or off of the street and walk on to your listed property and then scan a QR code from one of your posted signs, in lieu of a flyer grab...probably not a huge response number...just guessing...
Month end analytics from our websites show the QR codes are working. Also, more Android users than iphone which was a surprise. The trial period is over and we are commtting to full implementation on all marketing materials.
Web Reference: http://englishteam.com
Hey home buyers! Still waiting on some feed back about QR Codes. Are you using them when you shop for houses?
Web Reference: http://englishteam.com
Sally, our company just rolled out QR signs last month. They are stand alone signs that go beside the yard sign and they are awesome. The QR, when scanned, uses GPS to locate the location the person is standing and then finds the listing based on that info and sends them start to the web page for that listing. We are finding a lot of people using them. I think they're worth it. I'm interested in seeing the response you get from consumers too. Thanks!

Melissa Stephens
The Stephens & Stephens Group
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
404-843-2500 Office
678-776-1895 Cell
800-383-0430 Fax
http://www.StephensandStephens.net - Website

Comment on our blog: http://www.TheScoopinRealEstate.com
UPDATE FROM SALLY:

I have a droid phone and the app was easy to find and down load. And the scanner is particularly easy to use. Apparently it is the same with iphones.

We are getting traffic on the QR codes so I know people are scanning them in. Particularly the codes that go directly to the property listing info on my website.

All my listings have color flyers available in INFO boxes on the signpost, my direct phone number is listed on the signs......but still some people prefer the QR code for information. I am guessing they bookmark the property listing info on the browser so they can check back later etc. But, I still do not know how home buyers are using these QR codes. And I am very curious.

Another thought is that maybe it is easier to scan he code without having to get out of the car to pull a flyer ou of the box and /or call me up on the phone to ask the price. I KNOW it is a ton easier to scan in a web address using a QR code versus actually typing the address into a browser.

If you look around, you will notice many larger corporations are starting to use QR codes. Must be working for them also.

I realize some agents do not want to deal with one more piece of technology but I find this pretty cool. But still, I would like to know what home buyers think about it.
Web Reference: http://englishteam.com
I have to agree with Lee, I see no reason to put a QR code on a sign since not many will get out to scan it. I have my cell phone on my signs and people use the number to call me. Everyone has a cell phone with unlimited calling these days and that is the way to go with a sign or rider. QR codes might be ok on flyers and ads.
They have free QR code apps available for download on all smartphones, so they're easily attainable for anyone.
I think every smart phone sold today comes equipped with a scanner, or QR reader. I know it's a standard app on the new iphone.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201