Home Buying in 08816>Question Details

G.B., Home Owner in East Brunswick, NJ

Just a followup to my question yesterday - can a residential house be converted in a Dental Practice in East Brusnwick.

Asked by G.B., East Brunswick, NJ Tue Oct 2, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Mary Petti-ABR,SFR, Relocation’s answer

Usually you are not able to do this if the home is zoned residential without going in front of the zoning board for a "use" variance.

I will tell you from experience that most ZB's will not allow any "commercial/medical use" in a residential zone. Plus you have to pay for the application, hire an attorney, architects, planners, engineers, and get a traffic impact study to present your case to the ZB. ( as John Sacktig said... all with information regarding traffic, parking, drainage, etc).

Best to get a property already zoned for medical use (you can find out where the zones are by visiting the zoning office and getting zoning maps).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
GB - that is a different question then you asked!

You asked what a zoning was about a commercial property. It is very hard to take a residentail property and make a business office out of it. there are many things involved, traffic, parking, drainage, neighbors.. all kinds of things.

I know you are a fan of doing things on your own... but in this case you may jsut as well be out of your league. Give a call..

*Note: Asking questions on Trulia for localized items such as this.. you get answeres like below... "bots" like the NY person fhat has people answering things for her in her name just to get a lot of hits.. and someone from Connecticut coud not possibly have an idea.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
I agree with you john. at this stage we looked at a propety off rt.18 that is a vacant residential house but the listing also says that it can be used as a commercial as it is in HC2 zone. my wife is interested in starting her dental practice and ideally wants to own a dental office rather than lease. So we are exploring and before going ahead are doing our homework, that is why I asked that question. Thanks gb
Flag Tue Oct 2, 2012
Thats pretty much what I said, usually it cannot be done because of any number of reasons ie: parking, impervious coverage (from adding parking on a larger lot), sqare footage of the interior etc.

In this case the zoning officer knew right from the start that you would not meet the parking requirements since the lot is too small, thus helping you avoid going in front of the ZB for a variance and the associated costs.

Just curious is the home located in an area zoned for medical use or in a mixed use area or is it zoned residential?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
well, the zoning officer did not say it cannot be done, just that it would be difficult and from our point of view additional investment to change the floor plan and existing driveway etc to accomodate additional parking.....so as far as technicality, it could be done, but realistically not worth the money.
This property is in a HC2 zone (highway commercial 2) there is a realtor office across the street from this property and residential homes on the other three sides.
Flag Tue Oct 2, 2012
well, just spoke to the zoning board office, it can be done, just that the specific property that we are looking at (40 x 100 lot) will not meet the parking requirements to convert the property in a dental office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
for a professional office it is usually easier than other businesses to get a variance. best to speak to your building department 1st. then get somone to help you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
It really depends if Zoning will permit that change. Check with the Zoning department - you may be lucky in that sometimes a property is mixed us and can be used as both residential and commercial. If it is not, then you'd have to find out the requirements to apply for a Zoning change. Depending on the parameters, you can be approved. This usually takes some time though...

Nick Gandhi
Equity Capital Real Estate
(203) 280 3838
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
Thanks Nick, I did called the zoning office and left a message waiting to hear from them.
The property I came across is a residential in a HC2 i.e. highway commercial zone 2. I suppose it can be converted in a professional dental officce.
Flag Tue Oct 2, 2012
Check zoning issues firsthand....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer