Coldwell Banker Residential
If you've chosen to NOT have Realtor as your Buyer's agent then you may have to hire an attorney!
It depends on whether the current owner bought the property at the courthouse foreclosure auction or if they bought it "after" the lender took it back after foreclosure. If the current owner bought it at the courthouse and not from the lender then it will likely be the seller's responsibility to pay for any outstanding liens.
If the current owner bought the condo from the lender and got title insurance to assure "clear title" then the overdue property taxes should have been paid.
Ask your Realtor to call the title company to get a very clear understanding of why the closing is being delayed. The property taxes can normally be paid at closing so that shouldn't hold up the closing. The past due Condo fees and any attorney fees may actually be the problem. Some less than scrupulous Condo attorneys will attempt to collect legal fees (that they may not be legally entitled to) because they know they can hold up a sale. The condo association is also entitled to get 6 months of back condo assessments so that may be another cost the seller wasn't aware he had to pay.
If you are a first time homebuyer, you should go ahead and look at other properties until you can get confirmation that this will close well ahead of the April 30th deadline.
I wouldn't give up.... Is the seller on your contract showing up in public records as the owner?
It could be that the seller is trying to negotiate the payoff on xome of the liens. Also if there is an IRS lien, there is a certain waiting period before it will automatically go away without paying it.
I would ask your Realtor to call the title company doing the closing and ask for a direct answer as to exactly what the liens are and the amount and when they expect them to be cleared.
Your contract should have had a clause that gave the seller a specific period of time to clear title issues.
P.S. SELLER'S AGENT DIDN'T TELL MY REALTOR WHAT EXACTLLY IS THE TITLE ISSUE? JUST TOLD HER I HAVE THIS OPTION.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?