Home Buying in West New York>Question Details

condoowner, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

Jacob's Ferry is nice, but rest of west new York is not.

Asked by condoowner, Hoboken, NJ Mon Sep 2, 2013

I am interested in buying a property at Jacob's ferry. However, rest of west new York is composed of much lower income housing. I am a bit concerned with the area for safety and appreciation potential.
Is my concern justified?

Answers

5
Your concern is NOT justified, where are u moving in from the land of makebelieve? West New York is safe & safer than other places for sure...watch out for any of the developments on River Road, especially the ones which went up there many years ago when the whole boom started...no one will tell you, but there is a major mold & large rat issue down there. The rats have been down there since the beginning of time, I don't think they will ever be able to do anything about that, but the mold issue which has plagued many condo owners is hush hush amongst those who live there & are looking to get out...NO ONE would buy down there is they knew how some developers especially Hovnanian have had to put condo owners up in other apartments without mold for over a year in some cases while their units were being de-contaminated...this is nothing a home inspector would have found as the mold grew with the new building & those who rushed to move-in discovered it not too long after being there. Everytime we have a bitter cold winter, trust me, good quality windows do nothing for your heating bill which is usually very high cause there is nothing blocking the cold off the Hudson River. Do your research, like I have said over & over....there are pros & cons to everything in life, do your pros & cons list tally it up & see what it is you can live with.
Give me a break! Stop putting damaging info., out there for others to read! There are plenty of pretty amazing places to live all along boulevard east and you don't need to live with the dog size rats they have down by the river. Also, the congestion of traffic is not the same, it's alot lighter on the blvd., plus the view of Manhattan is a billion dollar view, not the same view when you're down on river road like Jacob's ferry....you must own a piece of real estate down there which you are desperately trying to get rid of for sure. There is plenty of Hovnanian built property down there with tons of issues like mold & I believe Jacob's Landing/Ferry area is one of them. I say do your research and take weekends to visit a place, take your time, go to the shopping areas, the restaurants, cafes, look around & if you something that interests you in your budget, any realtor would be more than happy to show it to you.
Mattie, I own at Port Imperial. I have two units in two different complexes. I also transact the majority of the homes in the complex. I have a legal obligation to disclose any information that I know. As a unit owner, I have never experienced any issues with mold or rats. There are rat traps along the river in every community, from Edgewater to Jersey City. We have lived there for 4 years and have never seen one in the building. We have also never experienced any sort of mold/water issues and neither have any of my recent sellers. Again, I am obligated to disclose and so far I've encountered nothing that you mention.
Flag Fri Dec 27, 2013
Remember there are pros & cons to everything in life...watch out for the CONS!
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013
West New York is a great place to live!! Values has been going up up up!!

Please call me if you have any questions.

Jose Martinez
201-406-6983
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013

Jose Martinez
201-406-6983
LOL! Western New York may be nice, West New York is a town in New Jersey.