Home Buying in Lake Nona>Question Details

jtwodul, Home Buyer in Winter Springs, FL

It was very upsetting to me when I read all the bad reviews on Lake Nona middle school. Is it really that bad? What's the best alternative?

Asked by jtwodul, Winter Springs, FL Tue Feb 26, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3089863958-Waters-Edge-at-Lak…

Answers

10
Mark LeMenager’s answer
Did you actually look at the dates of the negative comments? There are no comments posted by parents for the current school year, only for the first year the school was open in it's own building.
My best advice when reviewing schools is to check the State public school website and look at the test scores, student teacher ratios, and the school grades. See if it is following a trend of improvement and or is consistently doing well. New school districts that are growing rapidly are expected to have some growing pains too. Parent reviews can be helpful but, not every parent takes the time to write a review, so it's hard to tell if most are pleased with the school or not. That being said put more weight on the facts provided. Here's the link for the Orange County FL Public school grades and assessment:

https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/accountability/improvement/…

You can also access my free market report by zip code:http://www.envisioncentralfloridarealty.com/mimarket/zip/32827/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
The picture that is often painted is done so by individuals that have had some sort of negative experience.....rarely do people that have had a positive experience take the time to tell others about it.

My advice it to read and take in all that has been written but to be your own judge. Visit the school, speak with staff, students, and parents about their experiences.....You'll likely find that things aren't as bad a some would like you to believe.

Don't rush to judgment....come to your own opinion!

Kind of the same thing you posted in Feb, isn't it?
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013
I have have to say sometimes when we visit these site and see the comments good and negative we wonder about the negative more. My two sons attended LNMS, actually have my younger still there. He is in 7th grade. With any schools as in in any neighborhood there is good and bad. The former principal , was faced with challenges and mighty opposition from the beginning. The new principal still faces challenges, but it is a good school, especially if you are involve with your child education process. My 7th grades started taking high school math, not many school offer some of the benefits LN schools do. Visit the school yourself and speak with the parents, admin so forth, then decide. That is what I did and was a great decision I made.
There were a lot of issues with LNMS, many of them stemming from the principal, Dr. Cupid-McCoy. She was not a good fit for this community from the start. However, after 2 years she is no longer there. The community was not happy with how she was running things and did not stop "pestering" the higher ups in the county until something was done.

I moved to Lake Nona 9 years ago from Seminole Cty because of the schools. I do not regret my decision for a minute. We are a very tight knit community!
Check the Orange County Website for the rating on the schools, look at the history of the grading..is it improving ? What are the class ratios? the level of education of the teachers? These are all important questions. It is definitely a good idea to tour the school as well. Even if you decide to go the private school way, the school ratings are very important to the value of your Real Estate.
If reviews say it is bad then put your child in a private school. Check out greatschools dot net for more info about schools
My son went to the middle school for the first year it was open and then again last year. As with any new school and the age of the kids, there were some bumps and bruises along the way, with long lines for lunches, some pushing and shoving and bullying, plus not enough money for certain programs, and kids schedules getting switched around, but I was completely satisfied with my son's education and feel that the principal, Dr Cupid-Mccoy, who was faced not only with the challlenge of the new school opening and all that it encompassed, but also a lot of negativity, did a great job in meeting those challenges head on, and combatting the problems one at a time until they were resolved.
I would recommend the school to anyone and have not heard of any problems this year, but my son is now at the high school. Hope this helps!!
Don't simply rely on other's opinions; rather consider a visit to the school, ask for a tour of the facility, speak to the superintendent, principal, teachers, etc., and ask all your questions; then determine if your comfort level can be reached....
Unfortunately, all too often it's the bad things that find their way into the public eye. When things are going well, people tend not to express an opinion or praise those responsible. On the other hand when something is amiss, there is no shortage of public expression. Why this happens, I don't know but it is definitely the case.

So placing any amount of credibility in what you hear or read from others(yes even the media) should be done with great care. In my opinion, the best impression of any school district is one that is arrived at via your own personal impression after visiting, interviewing school staff, listening to children, reviewing school/state data, etc.

It's very easy to criticize and also too easy for some to fall into the trap of someone elses bad experience. One article, complaint, or negative experience should not be allowed to create the fiber of a school's value.