Home Buying in Milpitas>Question Details

tomb, Home Buyer in Milpitas, CA

It seems there will be no API scores for California schools in next 2 yrs , if it s true how does it effects bay area housing market ?

Asked by tomb, Milpitas, CA Wed Mar 19, 2014

What will happen if API's are permanently removed after 2 yrs ?

Answers

3
Tomb:
API testing has not been in California for that many years. I believe it started about 15 years ago. Before API scores, folks made purchase decisions based on house type, neighborhood feeling, home price, etc. I've seen some school scores increase dramatically over the 15 years. Perhaps it has been a combination of teacher effort, parent involvement, and student focus that caused this. As a parent, I believe we are the group that can have the biggest impact on our children's lives, and their long term happiness, education, and contribution to our society.

As for housing prices, time will tell if it makes any difference.

Sally Blaze
License #01856137
Alain Pinel Realtors
sblaze@apr.com
The API has never been a true indicator of a school's effectiveness since some schools and/or teachers teach to the test. Additionally, too much emphasis has been placed on the desirability of a school by how high the API score is - invalidating a lot of very good schools that did not manage to score as high as others for whatever reason. I'm glad that the API is on it's way out and my hope is that the replacement metric will not be regarded in the same manner as the API. If that is true, then we could see partial refocusing of interest of certain schools and neglect of others. Since current home values track exactly with API scores, that could mean a broadening of home values across the board instead of regionalizing them to the degree they currently are.

Let's hope that happens ... but I have my doubts.
Carl, Fabulous reply!
Flag Wed Mar 19, 2014
There are different and probably better accountability systems that will be relied on so there will be no effect. Just send me an email if you have any further questions.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com
408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com