Home Buying in 78628>Question Details

Betsy Davids…, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

It's been six weeks since our contract date and just now our bank is telling us they can't meet the Nov 1st closing date.

Asked by Betsy Davidson, Austin, TX Sat Oct 27, 2012

We've provided everything they've requested- some multiple times. I need to know the process at this point. Our paperwork from the bank states that everything is null and void Nov 2nd. Our contract states we have to pay 50 dollars a day till closing is met. What do we do now???

Help the community by answering this question:


Barbara Coker’s answer
Without knowing your specific issues, it's impossible to diagnose the reasons for the delay. You should contact your loan officer (if they even give you one) to find out how far you are from closing. Moving to another lender might cause more delays, especially if you are only a few more days from closing.

The only comment I can say for sure is that most Realtors would prefer you to work with a local lender rather than a bank. Banks are just too slow these days. Great for checking accounts, but poor on mortgage service.
Barbara Coker
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
I have great experience with my local lenders! They make my life so easy!!
Flag Sun Jun 1, 2014
It is very frustating when this happens, but your best option right now is have all your paperwork ready and contact a reliable mortgage broker that have access to private lenders and many different programs. If he/she know what they are doing, they should be able to close in two weeks.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
Betsy, it sounds like you are working with a big bank... Chase maybe? Chase's 1% cash back just isn't worth the headaches...

Have they given you any information on WHY they can't meet your closing date? Have they communicated with you at all other than requesting docs?

The danger of working with a big bank... they have too many files to care about a single one. I just had a closing that was delayed well over a week until we gave them the boot and went with a new lender in the Dallas area. If you have all of the paperwork ready and want to transfer it to another lender, they can generally close in about 2 weeks. Yes, this will cost you about $700 in the per diem, but it may be very worth it. They are based here in Dallas, but I'm sure they would be able to take care of everything for you. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. http://finddallashomesforsale.com/dallas-home-loans-mortgage…

Best of luck,

Brian Rayl
B&B Realty Group - Keller Williams Elite
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012

Sometimes the loan process can be so frustrating. What has your lender said to you about why there is a delay? If you are not getting anywhere with them directly then your next course of action is talking to your Realtor. Everyone wants the contract to get to closing so it's just a matter of getting everyone on the same page. Your Realtor should have a conversation with your lender to find out what the hold up is - it could be a dozen different reasons. Most Realtors work with a variety of lenders so it might be an option to change lenders at this point depending on why there is a delay. The Realtor also needs to have a conversation with the seller's agent, if they haven't already, to let them know about the delay before your closing date. No one likes a surprise and chances are, if you are buying a resale home, the sellers are moving out this weekend and maybe even waiting for the funds on the sale of this home to buy their next home. If the delay is because of the lender, your Realtor may be able to negotiate with them to cover the late fees you incur.

Sorry this has been a frustrating experience for you. I advise buyers to work with a lender that is local, someone whose office we can drive to and see face to face if there is a problem. I hope it works out for you and congratulations on your new home.

Leigh Hilliard
Realtor, ABR, GRI
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 27, 2012
Are you purchasing a new construction home or a re-sale home from a different owner? Who is your lender?

Kristin Hepp
Coldwell Banker United, REALTORS
Cell: 512-300-3332
Email: Khepp@cbunited.com
Web Reference: http://www.kristinhepp.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 27, 2012
Hi Betsy,

Do you have an agent? I have been working on a closing now since late March. It is tricky and frustrating.
Are you buying or selling? Has the appraisal been completed?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 27, 2012
Yes, we are working with an agent. We are buying and the appraisal was completed weeks ago.My belief is we are dealing with a less than competent loan individual, who does not communicate. Daily emails have never been answered- very frustrating.
Flag Sat Oct 27, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer