Home Buying in Bakersfield>Question Details

darleneb1942, Other/Just Looking in Fountain Hills, AZ

It appears to me that there is a high crime rate in Bakersfield. Any one know where I can get more information on this?

Asked by darleneb1942, Fountain Hills, AZ Mon Mar 18, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3110969787-4111-Pinewood-Lake…

Answers

2
I have lived in Bakersfield for approximately 65 years. I don't believe the crime rate is any worse here than in other larger cities. However, you do need to be aware of what is going on in your community. Many communities have community watch programs and keep an eye out for each other. Of course, there are some areas with more crime than others in Bakersfield. You want to be sure you are aware of these areas. Pinewood Lake is a gated community. I believe there was a murder in there maybe 20+ years ago (may have been a crime of passion but I cannot quite remember) but have not heard of any major problems in this community. However, you should do your due diligence and work with your agent to find out as much as you can about where you propose to live. I believe we have an excellent police department and sheriff's office. Sometimes I have to chuckle when we get some criminal element from the L.A. area who come to Bakersfield believing we are an easy target and they get caught by our outstanding law enforcement officers. I believe we have a reputation for being "tough on crime". Feel free to call me if you have any further questions. Dee Oliver REALTOR - RE/MAX MAGIC 661-747-7763
Dee is correct. In fact, our Sherriff Dept.is famous for being tough on crime. We have a certain area that has issues, but overall, I don't think Bakersfield has a crime problem. I believe you inquired about an ad the other day that was over two years old, and are reading info about crime problems here. I suggest you secure a local Realtor to give you the correct info, to help you find what you are looking for. Best of luck.