Sophia Rodri…, Home Buyer in 95361

Isn't seller supposed to hire someone to fix everything?

Asked by Sophia Rodriquez, 95361 Tue Dec 6, 2011

We just requested some items be repaired by the seller prior to closing. We need switch plates installed, fix a leaky faucet, and a couple of other small items. The listing agent sent back a repair credit of $400 and a list of what it would cost the seller to fix them (around $200). I don't want the seller to fix them, I want him to hire a contractor and have it done. I also don't want a repair credit because I don't want to do the work myself or have to deal with any of it. Doesn't the seller have to hire contractors to do the work?

Answers

3
Sophia,
The Seller is not required to anything.
If you put something in writing in the initial Offer, if would be part of the deal.
But if you came back after inspections and gave them a list, they can thumb their noses at you and let you walk. If they were willing to lose the deal over $200 worth of repairs.
Are you?
If I was your Agent, I would suggest that you get used to being a homeowner and take responsibilty for your own repairs.
It sounds like the Seller is being more than accomodating.

good luck and may God bless
How are they responsible for the Owners repairs? That was a rude comment, it's NOT their house yet and it's not their responsibility yet!
Flag Fri Jun 26, 2015
Hi Sophia,

The seller doesn't have to repair anything unless they've agreed to do so in writing. In today's market, a lot of sellers don't do repairs or give repair credits. If sellers do agree to do requested repairs, they can do the repairs themselves unless it states in the signed paperwork that they will pay someone to do them - they should provide receipts for items purchased if they do the repairs themselves. Sellers can also give repair credits in lieu of having the repairs done (or doing them themselves) - unless it's stated in the signed paperwork they will complete the repairs.

If it's only $200-$400 worth of repairs, do you want to take the chance of losing the house due to this? (If either you or the seller cancel contract over this, that is).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Your agent can better advise, much will depend on your agreement.....