Home Buying in Whitefish>Question Details

711, Home Buyer in Whitefish, MT

Is whitefish considered less exclusive than bigsky/moonlight? Sort of a cheaper option in montana for ski-in/out properties of am I off-base?

Asked by 711, Whitefish, MT Sun Sep 9, 2012

Answers

2
mhiggins’ answer
We have a home in Elk Ridge just outside Whitefish and can see the face of Big Mountain. Steve Doolings answer is very much correct. but the people of Whitefish are not looking for "exclusive". they are down to earth where net worth 10MM plus drive beat up trucks cuz it makes sense and nobody cares. Mike the Whitefish Flyer
Perhaps, but some may argue with that. I'm really not sure personally. I am a Realtor/Broker here in the Flathead Valley, but I used to be a logger/ski run logger for Boyne Corp., the company that owns the Big Sky resort in the early 1980's/. (I still get a ski pass every year at Big Sky!). Moonlight went into bankruptcy and receivership so i am uncertain as to their ownership right now. Whitefish Mountain Resort has the benefit of a very dynamic and cool little town of Whitefish, but Big Sky doesn't really have a "community" in the old-fashioned sense. It's just a resort, in reality. To be sure, Big Sky and Moonlight were over speculated in the run-up to the crash, and the evidence of that that is still clear if one is to take a drive up Cowboy Heaven in Moonlight and see all the rusty For Sale signs today. That never really happened in Whitefish to the extent the bottom dropped out in Big Sky. Even the Yellowstone Club next to Big Sky went into bankruptcy protection! Whitefish less exclusive? Less vertical per run, for sure, but I think "less exclusive" is probably not the correct summary judgement. For more information email me at steve@twre.com or call me at 406-253-9117. Website is http://www.nwmontanaproperties.com. thanks - Steve Dooling
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Thanks. But BigSky and moonlishgt basin are still more expensive than whitefish in the ski-in/out sector, or am I wrong? At least based on the listings I have seen.
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012