NoName, Home Buyer in 27519

Is vaulted ceiling in living room desirable?

Asked by NoName, 27519 Wed Jun 8, 2011

How does having a vaulted ceiling in the living room affect the house value?

Answers

17
Tracy Santrock’s answer
Vaulted ceilings are my favorite because they make a room feel much larger than it actually is per se. There is a feeling that with the downturn in the economy some are going back to basics with a traditional ceiling to reduce the heating/electric. I'm not one of those advocates.
Vaulted ceilings will definitely add to the look of a room and allow the space to feel much larger. But keep in mind that it is more space to heat and cool.
It is certainly personal preference. I love an open floor plan. However I have been told that with the recession some buyers are going back to a more traditional floor plan because they don't want to heat and cool the extra space.
I do not feel that it adds to the value of a home. However, depending on the individual buyer's taste it may increase or decrease the "desirablitly factor." Some buyers desire lots of light and high ceilings and other buyers ae concerned about the possible effect on the electric bill to heat and cool the area.
Hi there, I work with a LOT of buyers and will tell you, its purely personal taste. However, most of my buyers like the spaciousness of a vaulted ceiling because of the sense of 'light' and space.
Flip a coin. The buyers personality will answer this question. Some have strong feelings both ways.
Vaulted ceilings add no particular dollar vlaue to a property. Some people love them for the sense of openness they add to a room while others are concerned that they will take more energy to heat and cool. The simple truth is they fall into the the subjective categegory. In twenty plus years as a full time broker I've never once suggested to a Seller raising the price on their property because of a volume ceiling, and I've never had an appraiser tell me that they gave a credit for a volume ceiling. If you like the house and the ceiling then by all means buy it, if the Seller is telling you the price is slightly higher ecause of a volume ceiling I'd smile and say "Really" and give it no further thought and would make my offer at whatever price you and your buyer broker thought was reasonable.

Good Luck.
Right now, about 50% of our home buyers prefer a vaulted ceiling in the Great Room or Family Room. Some love the high, open ceilings, others feel that space is better used as a Bonus Room, Game Room, Media Room, or even an additional bedroom. It is very much buyer preference!
Web Reference: http://www.StantonHomes.com
I love vaulted ceilings, as do most of my clients, as it adds to the feeling of spaciousness and light. One of the issues I've seen is when there are ceiling lights that are so high that it is difficult for a home owner to change the light bulbs. If you are buying a house with vaulted ceilings, consider putting in sconces that are reachable by 6 ft ladders, and/or skylights/solar tubes--something to make it really light.
Web Reference: http://CrazyVivHomes.com
Hi Rg - I would say most of the time it is desirable. A vaulted ceiling can make a room feel larger and bring in more light which is extremely desirable. I've had clients who would only look at homes with at least one vaulted ceiling. I don't recall ever having clients who wouldn't consider a home with a vaulted ceiling. I'm sure it happens but, just not as common. I have had folks build a home and choose to put a room above a family room over the vaulted ceiling for additional space. However, it can increase the sq. ft. as well as the price.

If you like the home, don't let that be what stops you from buying it. Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.carlafreund.com
Depends on the Buyer. Where I live (Cary, NC) we have Bonus Rooms and they are often built over the Family Room where there would be a vaulted or 2 story ceiling. Personally, I'd rather not have them - in my old home it made the heating and cooling irregular.
Web Reference: http://www.judyedwards.biz
Hello
I would say in most cases they add to the appeal.
Michael
Thank you for your question! We get that one a lot. High celings and even a two story ceiling in the living room area was a common option with builders in the 1990's. Although they provide a more open & bright feeling, they also allow noise to travel and echo throughout, and are less efficient to heat and cool. Plus, cleaning the high windows is a challenge!
Where I sell homes, The Villages Fl., vaulted ceilings help to sell the home. I would say 90% of the buyers prefer the vaulted Ceilings.

When buying a home always think of resale value.

RE/MAX Premier Realty
13940 US Highway 441
Lady Lake, FL 32159
Phone: 352 406-1425
Phone: 353 406-0183
Fax: 352 347-4889
Email: nancysheehan@embarqmail.com
Website: nancysheehan.com
Absolutely! Especially when it is located at 111 Paladin Dr in Cary's MacArthur park! Vaulted ceilings in family rooms as well as bedrooms certainly give it a spacious feeling. Like with most questions, it is a personal choice. I have clients that would prefer to see that space used for additional living space -- that's why we have choices!
Rg,
In the south, high ceilings with good HVAC installations are very desirable for the benefits they bring for cooling. And air conditioning is just as important here as heating.
We have 18 foot ceiling in our family room, and that lets the hot air rise to the top, where it is easily collected by the return air duct to be cooled.
And cold air falls to the bottom of the room.
Some buyers like it and some don't. The upside is that it gives the feeling of a much larger space. The down side is the heating and cooling value. If you install a ceiling fan, this can help tremendously, keeping it in the downward direction in the winter and turning it off in the summer-especially if you are running the air conditioning.

It also plays havoc with the roof and shingles if not properly vented. If you are considering buying a home with a vaulted ceiling, you may want to check with a certified home inspector to get a more detailed explanation.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com