Tashna Chin, Renter in Aurora, CO

Is this a phishing scam?

Asked by Tashna Chin, Aurora, CO Sun Sep 1, 2013

Thank you for the email.

My name is James L Howell, I own the wonderful 4br - Single-Family Home . And I also want you to know that it was due to my missionary work transfer that made me want to leave the house with an intention of giving it out for rent ( We decided against selling it ) . I am looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of my property. I am not particular about the money for the rent but want the property to be kept clean at all time as it is our hard-earned property. If you are honestly interested and will absolutely maintain my property,(treating it like it belongs to you) that will be great as i hope i can put my trust and confidence in you because i will come to check on my property yearly. I initially wanted to put the house for sale but had a second thought to rather put it up for rent, because as a matter of fact l will be coming back home in the next 4yrs,and would need a place to live in. you are welcome to the house at your conve

Answers

7
That would be my guess...the syntax is not correct
Tashna,

Don't fall for it. This is one of many rental scams being done on Trulia, Craigslist, and other sites around the Denver area right now. It is good to do your homework and due diligence on all such proposals.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
Yes, it's a scam.

Not a phishing scam; that's different. You responded to an ad on Craigslist (most likely).

But, 100% guaranteed, it's a scam. There is no James Howell and he does not own the property you were asking about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
ps if this is a listing on trulia, flag it ................and report it to them so they can remove it
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
YES it's a SCAM - pure and simple.........a scam!

Next step is they will ask you to wire money!

DON'T do it.

RUN in the opposite direction!

Those scammers often have that same kind of long, convoluted sob story.......funny how many of them are missionaries !

Make sure you verify you are working with an actual landlord - reach out to a local agent for verification.

Run away from this one!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Sounds odd to me. Some of the phrasing is off ("put the house for sale" and "giving it out for rent") Most often If someone is going to be out of the country they will list the house with a reputable leasing company who can handle things that come up.

Just be careful. Do not give anyone any money until you see the property and have a lease in hand. Be careful they do not want you to wire money and want money back, etc. Also, check for ownership of the house. You can do that by going to the county assessor's website.

Just be careful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
If it sounds too good to be true, It usually is....
Make sure you do all your homework before accepting something like this...
Sounds very fishy...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013