Home Buying in Grass Valley>Question Details

Backtonorcal, Home Buyer in Grass Valley, CA

Is this a Bad Time to Buy in Grass Valley? We are returning to the area after being gone a few years and I was thinking about buying outright.

Asked by Backtonorcal, Grass Valley, CA Wed Jun 30, 2010

Hi - I own a home in southern california, where I'm currently living and have been for the last three years looking after a sick family member. My wife and I are eager to get back to northern ca. and a more peaceful area to live. We are planning to settle in Grass Valley instead of Truckee where we spent 10 years before here. I'm thinking of buying a home outright. Is this a bad time to do this? I haven't followed very closely as to whats going on there in grass valley, I've assumed that it's everywhere lately! Please advise me on wether I should plan on holding off for a year or two. Or just holding off on buying and renting for a year? Thanks

Answers

9
I have been a resident of the Grass Valley/Nevada City area since 1977. I have two "native" grown children and two other transplants. Now I also have 4 grandchildren who are natives. I have been selling Nevada County real estate for the past 28 years and there are no "bad" areas of Nevada County contrary to the belief of one resident. 95936 is not even one of our zip codes. Right now is a good time to purchase because the interest rates are the lowest they have been in my lifetime and prices are affordable. If interest rates go up next year, the prices will have to continue to fall. I think we are near bottom because about 30% of our sales now are cash, usually investors or people like you who move from more affluent areas. Feel free to give me a call any time as I am always looking for new business...Joan Lehman, joan.lehman@century21.com, 530 277-2975.
One thing to be wary of in Nevada County and surrounding areas is the " Marijuana Belt" which is an area where the growers operate that is expanding, the San Juan Ridge area is a great example of an area taken over by outlaw growers and parolees, and it should be considered dangerous to live near it as the chances of a major crime happening is very high. This menace to neighborhoods is growing becuase of the high unemployment and the culture of drugs and drug production in rural areas and it should be priority number one to find out if the dangerous crop is being grown and sold near any rural property these days. There are also many marijuana growers looking for rentals to use for a growing operation which is another very dangerous development. Check the crime maps, ask neighbors, look for shady rentals, and ask the Sheriff's Dept. for information on where the growers are operating to help you find a safe area.
We moved from the stress of a large metropolitan area to our snowcapped view home in Nevada County 20 years ago. Unlike the tract homes you see elsewhere part of the charm here is that not only is every home different from each other but the land it sits on is different too. I encourage buyers to keep their eyes open. When you see the right one you'll know it--- that's when it's the right time to move. We moved 2 years sooner than we intended and never regretted it.

Start looking now so you'll know it when you see it. I can help.

Keep Smiling,
Diane
HI Backtonorcal,
The last couple of months I am seeing prices in the Grass Valley area drop to more match what has been happening in the Auburn area. There is still quite a bit of inventory in the area, but there are some great properties at great prices. If you have lived here before you know that many properties are unique and when you find the perfect one in terms of the home and land you should buy it. If you are going to stay long term and you find the right place you probably should consider buying it, your cash is probably not making much return right now, but only you can decide that. It may take you 2 years to find the right house anyway!
The price range you are in may have a lot to do with it, as the lower end will rise sooner than the top.

Teri Andrews-Murch
530-798-0215
Web Reference: http://www.liveincolfax.com
My sister-in-law lives in Arnold. That whole area is great, if you can handle the winters. My wife and I tipped over in a canoe on Lake Alpine in November. Can't explain that cold.

If you're able, do it. Even if you live to be a 100. Life is short. .... Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
Grass Valley is a great place to live. A great choice! I have lived many places and this is the best. Finally prices are reasonable again and interest rates are at historical lows. The interest rate sure can make a difference on monthy payment and simply can't last this low. Tons of homes to choose from and during summer, brand new listings are plentiful every day almost.
Have you spent time and how long in Grass Valley to check it out? There is a Holiday Inn Express next to my Network Real Estate office they have negotiated great rates on if you contact me before your next stay. It is walking distance to downtown Grass Valley for tons o' fun. And I can show you the wildly different areas that are all available nearby. Take your pick of the style of your Dream home area from ranches to nice older and newer subdivisions, lake homes, or log, or Victorian!
I can also help refer you to a good agent in SoCal if you would like.
Seller do like cash offers overall, so if there is a really nice place at a very low price, there will be multiple offers and cash offers tend to get picked first.
Hi, my name is Gary Tippner and I am a Short Sale and Foreclosure Certified Realtor.
My motto is "Live the Dream that is Nevada County!" Contact me anytime at callgarytoday @ gmail.com
The timing is perfect to buy, as interest rates are at their lowest and house prices are at the bottom also. We have the same problems as most places, short sales and bank forcloseures have dropped our market prices making buying the best time ever. You could never have picked a better time to make your move. I work the whole county and know it very well. I moved from So. Pasadena to Nevada City 24 years ago and would never move back again. This is home. Please send me your email address and what your wants and needs are, and I will find you the perfect (or near) home. I would love working with you.
Please e-mail me at BarbJohnson530@comcast.net
Barbara Johnson
530-205-6665
AS long as you feel your financial situation is secure, there has never been a better time to buy.
BUT, you should take your time in finding the right property. If you know the area well, then find a good Realtor to represent you, and begin searching while you are still in So Cal. Otherwise you may want to move to a rental for 6 months or so, to give yourself time to become familiar with the area and neighborhoods. If you are considering paying ALL cash, you also have a lot of leverage. Ask your agent to show you short sale and bank owned properties as with an all cash offer, you should be able to negotiate for the lowest price. Make sure you get a home inspection, and select an inspector yourself, making sure you choose one with certification.
Good morning. I would be happy to discuss the current market conditions in Nevada County and specifically Grass Valley. I have been in real estate for 27 years and own a family brokerage with my father. My contact is 530-913-7697 or email fivestarrealty06@yahoo.com. Looking forward to speaking with you. Thank you Beth