Tessa, Other/Just Looking in Parsippany, NJ

Is there really a difference between experienced sales reps and newer sales reps? I had someone tell me about their agent but

Asked by Tessa, Parsippany, NJ Tue Dec 14, 2010

she wasn't very experienced and didn't know answers to many of my questions. Any advice?

Mary Petti’s answer
It's the old question: "which comes first the chicken or the egg"..but with a RE twist....

How in the world does someone get the needed experience to become a terrific agent, not just a good one, if no one gives them a chance to get that experience. A new MD is called an "intern" for a reason. They are being trained (an internship) and guided by a seasoned MD to learn their craft. So why shouldn't a RE agent??

I still stand by my statement that just because they are new doesn't mean unable to do the job, even if it means relying on some consultation with their broker/ mentor/ partner agent.

There are PLENTY of really lousy agents with years of experience but who have lost their drive. A newer agent will have the drive. A newer agent will have the technology savviness you want. A new agent will have TIME for you. A new agent will ask for advise if they aren't sure of something. I know plenty of "seasoned agents" whose record is impressive on first glance, but most of the clients are not repeaters/ past client referrals etc., because they don't have what it takes to deserve the referrals. People gravitate to them because they are under the misconcenption that years of experience means "great service" and that ain't necessarily so.

I do agree, you should interview agents and be comfortable with them, you will probably be working with them for a while, However you should not judge them solely because they are new.
Hi Tessa:
Yes there really is a difference. Do your research, Ask friends, relatives and co-workers who they would suggest. Then interview them over the phone if you like. An experienced, knowledgable agent can guide you through a smooth transaction.Experience will make a difference in your real estate activities. don't sell yourself short! Find an experienced agent, let the new agents try out with someone else. Good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 14, 2010
Being a newer agent myself, its not about everything that you KNOW, its about how hard you will work to make any transaction go smoothly and having the resources to back yourself up (ie managing brokers, partnering agents, etc.) that count!!!!

I have found that newer agents can sometimes be more up-to-date on new contracts as well as new technology that can directly benefit a buyer or seller.

Definitely interview ANY agent that you are considering using.

I found that just because someone has been in the business for a while, does not mean that they know what they are doing, or are any good at working with PEOPLE.

Best of luck!!
There are pros and cons to using a new or more experienced agent, but it usually comes down to personality and the customer/client's needs as well. A new agent is fresh and eager to work his/her heart out to please the person he/she is working with, and will also have the latest training and knowledge to work with a seller or buyer. A good agent, new or experienced, will not always be able to answer every question but should be able to get the answer ASAP. No matter how long you are in the business, something new will pop up, no deal is ever the same. Every deal or closing teaches an agent something. So the best thing is to go with your gut, and ask the questions: do I trust this person, do I think he/she will look out for my interest, and last but not least, do I feel comfortable spending time with this person?
Sometimes, there's a big difference between the 2, and other times there's not. I've found that it really depends upon the person. Some newer sales reps are hungrier, and more open trying out different strategies, and some seasoned agents are far too jaded to stray away from what they know. Yet, some newer agents need more hand-holding than I'd prefer to invest into a particular deal, and some seasoned sales reps have exactly the kind of skills and experience that I need for certain deals.

I don't care how much experience/knowledge an agent has or doesn't have. As long as s/he is open, easy to get along with, flexible, and diligent, then I can work with him/her. If an agent doesn't know what I need for him/her to know, then I can help train him/her to do what I need for him/her to do. Yet, if s/he can take the ball and run with it, then I'll gladly give him/her the ball, and let him/her run with it.

Occasionally, I've gotten involved in some deals where neither I nor my agent had sufficient experience. So we learned what we needed to learn together. The point is I trust that an agent, with the previous 4 qualities I want, is sufficiently capable of getting the job done well. I don't care about top performer designations; some rookie agents will eventually become top performers over time.
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
The answer is that there are agents that are expericed that have been in the business 30 years and there are ones experienced that have been in the business 1 year. However, just because you have been in the business 30 does not make you better than someone that has been in the business less time.

It is all about knowledge, commuication, wisdom and drive to assist buyers and sellers to meet the goal. If a agent is missing these skills it will be difficult for them to perform.

Good Luck

Keith Manson
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Metro Milwaukee

3 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
I'll agree with everything everyone posted and add that what you really need are thorough answers. A newer agent may be more willing to get all the details and then report back to you, while some of these "veterans" may just proffer BS and not even look into the complexities of the issue you may have raised. So whether the agent is new or has 10+ years experience should not matter as much as whether or not you feel comfortable with that person. A year and a half ago i had zero experience but was honest in my dealings and always rushed back with an appropriate answer after discussing it with more experienced brokers and agents.

Its a little disconcerting when i speak with people that are getting terrible advice from "20 years in the business" agents. The most important qualities you should look for in selecting an agent are: honesty, trustworthiness (does that person have your best intersts at heart?), and competency (does this person appear to know what he or she is doing?).

Watch out for pushy agents (the ones that are trying to oversell a property that you aren't the least bit interested in). A good agent, whether he or she has a few months or over 30 years of experience, should be able to tell what your needs and preferences are within a few showings and step aside as you arrive at your own conclusions. He or she should answer all your questions in a timely manner and guide you through the purchasing process without stressing you out.

You should find someone who is down to earth and acts natural. Find someone that will work extra hard for you and is grateful that you chose him or her to represent you in a real estate transaction. Let your gut instincts guide you to the right agent.
Comparing RE agents to heart and brain surgeons is, with all due respect, just plain silly.

As a newer agent myself I would agree that RE school teaches very little and experience counts for a lot. In my case, my broker is truly one of the best in the business and I often tell people that they are getting 2 for the price of one: her experience and gentle guidance throughout the process and my time and enthusiasm.

As others have mentioned, there are some terrible agents who have been in the business for a long time and obviously there are some of us newer ones who have everything to prove and want to do just that. I believe as long as a new agent has the backing of an experienced mentor and/or broker and gets back to you on a timely basis regarding questions they don't know, you will do just fine.

That being said, interview extensively until you find someone you are comfortable with because odds are you will be working with this person for a while and they will be helping you in purchasing what is most likely the largest investment of your life.
The agent may not have all the answers but did they follow up and get you answers? " I don't know" is an acceptable answer and definitely preferable over someone that answers your questions outside of their expertise. The industry is moving fast with more regulations. Be wary of an agent that has all the answers.
Yes, of course there is a difference. There is no substitute for experience. Find an experienced agent; get a referral from a friend or family member that had a positive experience with the agent. I recommend one that is attentive (answers your phone call or calls you back, replies to your emails) and one that will help educate you through out the entire process.

Remember, knowledge is power.

Spirit Messingham
Tierra Antigua Realty
I find it interesting as we wiegh in on such an important question some stories we have had with other agents might embellish the understanding. I had a showing to book. When the agent left me a voice mail it is obviously a 1 person office with no time or regard for anyone. He calls and leaves me a voice mail. call me with your mls id I will reply with showing instructions.. No relationship and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. This is not the kind of agent I would want to represent me. Relationships are the most valuable commidity we have. Another agent gets a call with my offer and replies, sorry your offer will not work. When I ask why he says 'read between the lines". When I ask what he means he says I am wasting his time.
after which he hung up on me.did his actions best serve his client or himself?As I say there are many pretty faces out there. Pick one trustworthy with experience and skills. Check their value system and standards. Are they there for themselves or are they confident that how well the represent you will help them in the long run. Tha stories could go on and on.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, here is my perpsective as an out of area agent.
Experienced doesn't mean active. There are many agents been in the business 40 years, but do three deals a year, are not technology savy and quite frankly don't know the markets, tour broker opens network with agents and generally transact business. On the other hand, you have agents with 35 listings, three part time assistants and you get zero personal service. You end up working with a rooky who works for the big name active agent in your area. My suggestion is to go with an agent with 5-10 years experience, 3-10 listings and zero licensed assistants to get personal attention.

if you like my answer, please mark best answer, thanks!
You need to always ask questions and you need to find an agent that answers these question with reasonable knowledge! There are some very sharp new Agents out there, but most new agents should latch themselves to a more experienced agent. This is you home that you are selling or buying, so a great deal of money is involved! You want only the best when it comes to your financial well being! But that said, you must no there are some very bad older Real Estate Agents out there too! Some that have done very little to keep up with the times! So what are you looking for in an Agent.
1) Make sure they are up with the times
2) Ask them how many sales transactions have then been in.
3) Ask about the sales track of the Realty as well.
4) Ask newer Agents if they have a mentor to fall back on
5) Make sure that will list you on MLS
6) Ask them what their sales strategy is for your property
7) Interview more than one Agent and from mnore than one Realty
8) Ask for copies of past properties and how they were marketed
9) Don't pick an Agent on the first day you look for one
10) Observe how they dress and how they present themselves
11) Make sure they communicate well, as well as spelling
12) Make sure they are internet smart. most homes are found on the internet
13) Make sure that they do more than the average bear for you
14) See what coverage they have in case they may not be able to see the trasaction to close
15) Make sure they are easy to reach at all times
16) Make sure they contact you at least once or twice a week to keep you updated

Communication is important, keeping you up to date is very important, good marketing practice, and complete availability are most important if you wish to have a successful sale whether you are buyer or seller!
Yes! Plain and simple, experienced agents have just that, experience. However, not all experienced agents are equal. A good experienced agent will know how to get to best price and terms if you are a buyer or seller. They should have a negotiating strategy and know what's needed to get to the closing table. They should also know more about home construction and financing. When someone is buying a home in Northern Westchester or Putnam Counties, my primary markets, it helps to have some familiarity with wells, septics, certificates of occupancy and things along those lines. Not knowing could be very costly.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Web Reference: http://www.nyhomeseller.com
Working with a new agent can actually be a huge benefit. I agree with the other comments about newer agents having more time and passion for excellent customer service. In addition, they have up-to-date training in new real estate laws and practices. A new agent who's younger may also be more comfortable using technology than their older counterparts. Before choosing someone less experienced, ask if their firm has a training or mentoring program for new agents. These programs can provide an extra layer of support for new agents by partnering them with veteran agents who monitor their transactions. At the end of the day, the best relationships are based on mutual trust, respect and chemistry. You'll be spending quite a bit of time with whomever you choose to work with, so once you've done your homework, pick the person you feel most comfortable with. And remember, you can always change agents if it's not working out.
Hi Tessa,

There is a big difference between newer agents and agents that have been around a while. But, there are those new agents that have prior business experience and know how to do their due diligence and apply that experience to Real Estate sales.

But remember, this business has a LOT of returning to work people with absolutely no business experience, client experience and or any sales experience whatsoever.. Judging by your question, you seem to be able to read people.

Keep looking for the right Realtor hat can help you.. one that you feel comfortable that will be able to help you find your new home. There are many of us out there.. But, like any other business you have to weed through the good and the bad.

email or call to discuss if you choose!

Sory, I had to repost it becasue of my dopey typos! :)
I think it depends, Tessa, on which questions she couldn't answer. There are things you can look up, such as neighborhood stats, and things you can't, such as strategy and negotiation technique. There are also things an agent shouldn't have to look up!

Experience is important but so are natural ability, training, work ethic and motivation. A client is best served if the agent is expert in the area of interest to the client. So while Joe Agent may not be a short sale maven, or have 10 years in the business, if you're purchasing a condo that isn't a short sale and Joe specializes in condos in the area you're interested in, Joe's probably a good bet as long as he has good references, is a full time agent and you feel confident he knows his stuff.

Make sure your agent knows their product, locations you're interested in, is a skilled negotiator and can walk you through the process as a first-time home buyer, which I'm assuming you are? Things come up during even the most mundane real estate transactions that require knowledge about which options are available and the likely outcome of each. In order to achieve the best result for the client, an agent has to know how to take advantage of opportunities, when to press an advantage, and when to leave well enough alone.

Interview several agents before making a decision that can affect your bottom line. Just as you don't want to settle for any home, don't settle for any agent to represent your interests. Your're the client. Take your time, be confident in your decision and enjoy the process! Good luck : )
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
I get smarter each year. What I've learned is that you don't know what you don't know.

One time there was a contest in our real estate office, the agent who could answer the most question correctly on the list would win. We had 15 minutes to complete it. I went to the computer, found the answers and answered with 100% accuracy. The loosers said I cheated. My response, "A good agent doesn't necessarily know all the answers, they just need to know which ones they don't know and where to go to get the answer". I won.

The mistake some new agents make is they think they need to answer all their clients questions. There is no way any one person can know if all. If the agent has enough confidence to say I don't know, professionalism to say I'll find out who knows, and follow through, then they are ahead of the game. Most new agents are so afraid of making a mistake that they are double and triple checking themselves.

With that, there is something to be said about experience and gaining the knowledge to come to creative solutions when presented with a challenge.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
There are those with 30 years in the business, but they may have made the same mistake for 30 years. Having 30 x 1 year experience is not the same as 30 years experience. It's interesting how agents with 10+ experience seem to have a tendency to steer people away from those with less years in the business, apparently forgetting how they got started. I guess they all would not have hired themselves in their early years. While undoubtedly, your first few years in the business will have the steepest learning curve, no matter how many years we have been in the business, we always have to be on the lookout for what we don't know and not get too comfortable. I think the past 5 years in our business were in many ways very different than the 5 years preceding and if we did not learn and adapt to the changes and conducted business as usual, we would no longer be in business today. I remember when I negotiated my first short sale and the property was located in a market in which short sales were not yet as common as in other markets not many miles away and I had to deal with agents who undoubtedly had been in business for many years, but seemed to know absolutely nothing about how a short sale was different from a standard transaction. Frankly, the many past years of experience got in their way as they had not opened up to learning that things were different and they could not explain what to expect to their clients despite of the many years in the real estate business.
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in ,
Well yes there is a difference but then again...we were ALL new agents at one time, fresh out of RE school and anxious to work. This is not to be judgemental but I would not equate a new agent with an intern doing brain surgery.

No just passing the test does not an agent make. There are (learned) skills that are needed to be a good RE agent. BUT I know that many new agents nowadays have had other jobs, responsible, decision making jobs, before they went into real estate, so it's not like you would be dealing with people with no work/life experience, or ability to make decisions and problem solve (two good traits in an RE agent among others).

I think if the "new" agent is familiar with the area you are looking in (I.e.: lived there a length if time), had good training from their company AFTER RE school, has a good back up system (like a mentor at the office to guide them..problems arise in every transaction that are new no matter how long you have been in the business) and you trust them, there is no reason not to use them.

When I was a new agent, I always told the clients that if i didn't know the answer to something, I would go out of my way to find out the answer for them (not make one up on the fly). There is no way to know everything about everything anyway.

As long as someone has the determination and perserverence to follow up and work for you, I see no problem using a new agent.
Ok, here is # 169. I think we can all agree that there is a difference between all agents as we are all individuals. How do you define difference? For the purpose of this Tessa's post I would think the term "difference" means does it matter whether you go with an experienced agent or a newer agent. Next, what kind of experience counts? Is it only the experience an agent has in handling real estate transactions or other life and professional experience as well? When I became a real estate broker, I already had a total of some 20 years of legal experience under my belt and writing contracts came very natural. Some of my legal experience was gathered in my native country and I had some limited real estate experience there, too, but since real estate is handled very differently in Germany, I would not consider it relevant experience. However, many things I learned prior to getting that real estate broker's license helped me jumpstart my new career and get out the gate much quicker and with more confidence than what I would have had without that prior experience. When I think about it, the relevant lessons I learned and that still help me the most are those that I learned way back when I was a child and I was raised by two parents who instilled solid values and the importance of a good attitude and work ethics. I will be eternally grateful for having been given the opportunity to build this solid foundation for life as there is no license and no # of years in business that can make up for a bad attitude and poor work ethics.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in ,

Could you please re-submit this post in English, and without typing in all capitals. I literally cannot understand a word you are saying in this garbled post.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
Amazing! The one thing you may need more then anything else in a real estate transaction seems to have been ignored. The reason I bring this up is because so many of those who answered your question didn't bother to read the earlier posts. You need a broker who will pay attention to what you are saying to they can truly work towards YOUR desires. My tag line for years has been "The Broker Who Listens!" because I've heard it over and over again that a former agent didn't pay attention to the clients needs.

Yes, experience is important, but I don't always mean the amount of time an agent is in business. If an agent has been around for a while and is not in the top 20% of the salespeople in your area then they may not have much experience. The top 20% of agents sell 80% of homes sold. It means there are a lot of agents who don't sell much and as a result don't really have a lot of experience even though they may years in the business. Finding an active experienced agent will make a real estate transaction much easier. As far as a new agent with a mentor, that depends on the mentor. It also means that while an inexperienced agent is showing you an older home they may not spot the asbestos hanging in the basement or notice the buried oil tank in the front yard. This could add to a lot of wasted time or a real headache later. I think most of the time experience does make a difference.

Donald A. Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Prudential Douglas Elliman
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 26, 2011
As you can tell by all the answers, everyone has an opinion. I'm not going to tell you that you'd be foolish to work with a new agent, but I would do my research. I live my life through referrals on an everyday basis. Weather it be my dentist, vet, mechanic, tutor, business coach and so on. In all of these cases, I ask people I know who they would use, research the BBB and ask for referrals from past and current clients. A real estate transaction is one of the bigger events of your life money wise. Can you trust someone who can't answer your questions.....I can't.
On the other hand, we were all new agents at one time or another. Using a new agent can be very rewarding. Their enthusiasm is great; just make sure they have an experienced mentor to help the process along and watch out for your best interest.

P.S. There are some very uneducated agents with years of experience.....Ask for referrals!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 25, 2011
Hello Tessa. The answer is inherent to your question. The only differentiating factor between an experienced agent, and a newer agent is, in fact, experience. Now, of course there are additional factors, specific to the client and their needs that would make one sales agent a better candidate than another. For example, an agent who has been trained, has obtained related designations, and focuses specifically on representing new home builders would have an advantage over an agent who exclusively sales resale product. Additionally, an agent who is skilled at selling land, or multi-family units would be the most qualified to service a client seeking that particular kind of real estate. An agent that has experience representing investors, and knows what kind of product is most conducive to meeting investor's financial goals, (i.e. condition, location, age, price versus value spread, etc) is going to complete the job in the most efficient and effective manner, and would be able to pinpoint viable properties maximizing the client's time and resources. Or, an agent that specializes in a specific geographic location is a better candidate for a buyer or seller seeking agent representation in that particular area. I'm sure you understand the point that I am making. Back to the original point. Basically, the old adage applies here. "Experience is the best teacher." I have discovered after 15 years of servicing the community as a Real Estate Consultant, and facilitating multiple transactions that no two transactions are alike. There is no such reality as a "boiler plate" real estate transaction. The more experience your agent has had in trenches; at being a student of the real estate market and business, the better equipped he or she will be to represent you and protect your interest in the transaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 24, 2011
I am a new Realtor, having my first license held in New Jersey at Century 21 Abrams, Hutchinson & Associates for about 4 months now. Although my experience is limited, probably similar to your Realtor that you dealt with, I feel like getting my job done correctly depends on my support system at my office hub. Again, speaking with limited experience, my first visits with customers and clients come with many questions that challenge my training and problem solving skills. Even though some of these questions I had to answer with the standard "I will find that out for you," my collegues and mentors really help me get my clients the best possible answer.

What I have gotten out of my first months as a Realtor is that it is very important to use the resources available, whether a seasoned veteran or a new agent such as my self.

So in answering your question, I feel like experience might not be the most important aspect to look for in an Agent, but maybe their desire to get you what you want for the right terms and conditions. In watching other agents, both seasoned and beginners, I have noticed everyone asks questions no matter their experience in the industry. So choose someone you feel is working for your best interest and not just getting the transaction completed. Honesty and a hard working attitude is what I like to see in other agents, not just the amount of houses they have under their belt.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 23, 2011

You've received a number of great replies to your question. What I didn't see mentioned and I failed to mention in my earlier post is if you are asking about a buyer's agent or seller's agent. There are many good agents who have had most of their experience on one side of the transaction or other. Newer agents tend to have more experience with buyers then sellers. In a nutshell, most have said that you want an experienced agent, but not one with one foot in the grave. Many years of experience does not mean they are very active now. You want an active agent with one caveat. I've seen agents advertise that they are in the top 1% on their MLS and are great negotiators only to find out that they did 50 rentals and only one sale. That doesn't help you if you are buying or selling. Don't be afraid to ask agents questions. You might find that there are many who really aren't that good and don't want to respond to your questions. You can move on from them.

Marketing skills and pricing is much more important if you are a seller. This includes, but is not limited to a good web site that can be easily found on the web. Easily found being the key words. Check their listings for picture quality. Lack of photos or poor quality photos is a bad sign. Don't be too impressed by virtual tours. Many people find them a pain in the neck and would rather see high quality photos. An overall knowledge of construction and mortgage financing is helpful if you are a buyer. It is also VERY important that a buyer's agent have great negotiating skills and a plan to carry out your wishes to buy a house and do it at the best price and terms. No one negotiating strategy will work for all homes. How an offer is presented on a home that just hit the market at a great price is VERY different from presenting an offer on a home that's been on the market for a long time and is priced a bit high. There is a strategy to this that can make the difference in you getting the house or not and getting it at the right price and terms. You could interview an agent and ask specifically how they would handle each situation.

It was nice to see so many helpful answers to your question. I do disagree a bit about a new agent with a mentor. I've been with a couple of great companies in the past and didn't see the "great" mentoring. As someone who has been active and full time for close to 20 years I have yet to see it with any company. Not that I need a mentor at this point, but perhaps I'll see it with the company I'm joining tomorrow, Prudential Douglas Elliman.

Donald A. Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Off: 914-232-3700
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011
You said the key - ".... didn't know answers to many of my questions."

When I was a newbie agent... I made a point to flat out know more than anyone in my market place.. If I didn't know.. I was quick to say "I don't know, but I know someone who does... give me a minute and I'll get you the right answer."

You are dealing with your largest investment.. in most cases... So... you want to come up with some questions that will make you feel comfortable... and they are tough ones for agents:

1. Why should I use you instead of a different agent?
2. Do you have any references I can contact?
3. How many homes have you sold? How many of those did you represent the buyer?
4. Can you pull me a stat sheet on your past 12 months? I'd like to see your percentage of list price to contract price (to see how much off the price they were able to negotiate for the buyer) - This is not really a fair question because every home is different.. but it is good to gage the reaction to the question...
5. Do you own a home yourself, or are you renting? (Agents who don't own their own homes scare me.) Doesnt mean they are bad at what they do... but it seems odd to not own a product that you yourself sell....
6. How much do you know about mortgages? Are you able to guide me through that process and be my catch all? Will you be able to tell if I am not getting the best deal on a mortgage?
7. How many active clients do you have right now looking at homes? (If you are the only one... there is probably a reason for that!)

I know agents everywhere are hating me for this one... but the fact is... if an agent doesnt have pretty good answers to these questions... you may want to keep looking.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011

There is a huge difference,but if the new agent has a good mentor and can get you the answers that should work as well. Best
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011
There is a huge difference in the success of your transaction. Experienced agents may not have "seen it all", but they have encountered a lot of different situations. This can save you money as well as future problems. The more knowledge the agent has about the community and the real estate process, the happier you will be.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011
Dear Tessa,
I feel that you must decide upon the services that the agent is willing to render and if you feel confident in their abilities to deliver, then go with them regardless of how long they've been in the business. Most new agents are shadowed by senior agents or their managing broker and are just a capable as senior agents. They are all licensed agents. But, not all agents render the same quality of service, even senior so called experienced agents. It's up to you; but, don't disqualify a new agent just because he/she has only been in the business a short while. You may miss out on an "Awesome" agent and end up with a personally detached senior agent that's just looking to meet their sells goals regardless of your needs.
Take care, Tessa!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011
If you are looking for an agent to help sell your home, make sure they have their own web site, not just a page on a company web site. Your home will get lost on a company web site, but not on an agent site. Also make sure that their web site is easy to find. Do a google search and see if they pop up on the first page. If they don't, their site is worthless. Best site in the world is no good if nobody finds it.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 4, 2011
Great answer Lois,

I would add that being new to Real Estate Sales does not mean new to Real Estate. There is Real Estate investing experience and success, property management and renovations as well as construction management. Also, a savvy consumer who has purchased and sold homes in varied markets and market conditions has excellent insight into the process and can “walk in the client’s shoes”. Lastly, the process on purchasing a home is a project from initial research, home previews, making an offer and closing. Effective management skills are also essential to a smooth process!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 30, 2010
Hi Tessa!

Wisdom definately comes from experience and the fact that this person expressed concerns about a new agents inability to answer questions does prove that it can greatly effect an agency relationship. On a more positive note, this also shows that this person was keen enough to recognize this as a potential problem. I think it's both the clients responsibility to make sure they're honest with themselves about the service they deserve. Never stop asking pertinent questions because you feel the agent won't be able to answer them.

I have to agree that some agents often do well when they first enter the business due to previous sales, marketing or extensive consumer related training. I knew a few Realtors who became newly licensed with years of experience running their own successful businesses in other industries and because of this it helped them excel and incorporate unique benefits for their clients. Any new agent who adapts to challenges, continues to learn from their mistakes and tries to better their skill is a good agent. Ultimately, they will better service each one of their client as they grow.

Food for thought: Most new agents, the ones who are determined to establish a progressive career, will do everything it takes to deliver positive results. This means educating themselves to better provide answers to difficult questions. *They may even become more committed to you because they often times have fewer clients and the flexible hours to compensate your schedule. I've heard from clients who had previously worked with other seasoned professionals and they didn't feel like they were receiving 100% of the individual attention they required. At the end of the day, our business is about people and the relationships we create. My advice, don't let another persons experience detour you from working with an agent whom you can trust to guide you through one of the most important transactions of your life.

Best Wishes & Good Luck!

Katrina Roth, Realtor®
Keller Williams VIP Properties
25124 Springfield Court, Suite 100
Valencia, CA 91355
(661) 208-1855 Direct
(661) 291-1463 Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 29, 2010
Tessa- Ya ever hear the phrase..."there is more than one way to slice an onion." This is true in choosing your realtor. Whether a freshman or a seasoned pro, every realtor is cut from different cloth. So I agree with the wise words of Rachel, Catherine and John immediately bellow my response: New Agents can have a fire in their belly that may not be as strong with a seasoned pro. But the experienced agent may know better how to negotiate and navigate the challenges that do arise in the process to home ownership.
Picking a realtor comes down to one very important item..."do you trust this professional to protect your best interests in what may be the biggest investment of you life?" If you answer yes, than this professional will utilize their resources and experts for specialized concerns.
One good way to hunt out that Realtor who really serves is to go to open houses and treat it like you are interviewing them. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 29, 2010
Don't be too concerned about a newer agent, but rather what their previous experience was & how motivated they are. Some new agents become rookies of the year in their company & exceed many other experienced agents, not only in their office, but their entire region for production. That being said, more experienced agents can help you avoid problems & guide you thru a smooth transaction because of their experience, possibly saving you time & money. The bottom line is that you need to do some research and make sure that you are comfortable with the agent that you choose.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 29, 2010
Dear Tessa,
Don't discount the newer agents accross the board. They may have new and innovative ways to market your property. Some Realtors are stuck in 1980 methods to market homes. Some newer agents may be willing to do open houses every weekend or plaster the neighborhood with flyers or whatever the "next big thing" is. You need to interview several Realtors and decide which one you connect with. Who listens to you? What will they do to market your home? I would meet with at least four agents and see who stands out of the crowd. I wish you luck on selecting a Realtor and selling your home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 28, 2010
There is definitely a difference. The more experienced sales rep will be able to answer more questions as well as overcome more objections and obstacles than the less experienced agent. Don't base the experience on how many years the sales rep has been in business, but base it on their level of experience in handling the type of sales transaction in question.
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 28, 2010

If that is the case and you did not feel that you received the answers you were expecting then look for a agent that works for and with buyers exclusively. This is the way to know you have your own agent, now this does not mean this agent has all the answers to all questions this is where experience comes in. This being said most professional Buyers Brokers have years of experience look for these letters after their name>>>ABR,CBR,CRB,GRI,CRS, these letters say that this agent has extended their knowledge and has years of experience these take years to get and they cannot be bought.

The best agents also have a great support staff which is available for their clients to use such as Attorney's, CPA, Title Company, Home Inspector, and Banker/Broker just to name a few and these should be the best of the best for the experience buyers broker.
I say these things because I am and Experienced Exlcusive Buyers Broker who does have the credentials and the years of experience along with a quality support systems to protect my clients. The one thing to remember is answers may not be what you want to hear all of the time but a professional in any field does not tell you what you want to hear they tell you what you need to know. To find a buyers broker in North Jersey just go to the link below look for and exclusive buyers broker they do not list homes and they will work even on for sale by owners and other options

Hope this is your final answers that delivers what you want

Happy Home Hunting

Tim Robbins, Sr.
Exclusive Buyers Broker
Better Homes Realty

Serving All of Atlantic and Cape May County's in New Jersey
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 27, 2010
Hi Tessa. Some very solid answers below and yes Trust is everything. I will say that experience for me, is the trump card here. There are many aspects to a sale of real property and I'm sure you want someone who has experience.

Experience in the real estate world has many aspects to it as well. Knowledge, passion, diligence, friendly manner are all aspects of experience and that is just the start.

Obviously, every new agent starts somewhere. They do have a support system in their office and even if they don't know an answer to a specific question, they can get the proper response. I can't imagine what queswtions you had that stumped your agent and since there are websites like this one, you most likely can get answers here.

Don't expect any agent/broker to answer legal questions or questions about your mortgage. Take those to the proper professional. After all the stories I hear about the educated consumer, what don't you know?

Bottom line, you can always go elsewhere, unless this inexperienced agent has a listing you want to purchase. If that is the case, perhaps some of your questions go against her fiduciary responsibility to her client. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
The key in any transaction is trust! If you trust the person you choose you will have a far better transaction than if you select an agent that has been in the business for 100 years and is not someone you connect well with. That said, in a real estate transaction there are many key factors to why you hire the person in the first place. The knowledge of the agent you select is important because you will be relying on their past experiences and overall knowledge to guide you in your real estate transaction. You need to not only feel comfortable enough to communicate with the agent that you choose. You must also feel comfortable with their ability of the agent you choose. Try meeting with them for a showing or two. Treat your first contact with the person you are considering to be your agent as an informal interview. At the showing allow them to have an opportunity to show you their knowledge and expertise. You should feel comfortable to try them out and then make your decision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
Experienced or Not it all comes down to who you trust and feel comfortable with Not every agent is going to have all the answers I know of a lot of brokers who have multiple decades being licensed that have no clue they just fake it and make money because they have agents and people with knowledge around them including but not limited Attorney..

The best advice is listen to your friend who had a great experience meet with the agent and see if you click it does not matter if you do not feel comfortable or have trust. Not to mention make sure the agent is working only for you. This is the most important issue you can back the agent up with a good Real Estate Attorney.

Happy New Year
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
When I look back to what I knew then and what I know now, I can honestly say: a world of difference

But years of experience doesn't mean the one with the most number of years is better than a newer agent. One should factor how the agent adds to his knowledge base by completing more certifications, attending seminars, employing technology, delving into different kinds of listings and sales (for example, to this day, some agents may still shy away from short sales --- but if they don't do it, how will they know how?)

However, it also depends on the type of questions you asked --- agents are limited to answer questions within their scope of expertise.

First, we're not prophets, and we can't answer questions about where market prices/values are headed. We can only speculate like you can. Second, we can't and shouldn't answer questions that are in the purview of a lawyer, tax accountant, etc. In such a situation, the best thing we can do is to refer you to those professionals. In other situations, give the agent an opportunity to do some research -- not knowing doesn't mean he is not resourceful enough to get you your answers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
Well put Dp2. Like with most everything, a great attitude and willingness to be part of the solution makes a huge difference. Many real estate agents bring valuable non-real estate related experience to the table that should not be discounted. Merry Christmas (just setting up my new ipod touch and am already addicted).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in ,

I couldn't have stated it better.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
Dear Tessa,

You have many conflicting opinions here. So I guess you will have to sift through them to make your choice. I just want to add that I have worked with some "so-called experienced agents" who have dropped the ball and caused many problems. Experience is not always the key.

When I was in my first year of real estate, I did my first short sale. I worked with the buyer's agent and together we got it done. She was from another company, but we worked together and she helped educate me on the process and that was worth more than five years of classroom education. We closed the deal in 5 weeks from offer to closing.

So you see, it is not always about the experience. If the agent is a good one, they will do whatever it takes to make sure that your interests are represented to the fullest and put your needs above all else.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
Real Estate is a constant state of change and learning. Unfortunately the best teacher is experience. The difference being how to speak the language (not english). Its funny but people can seem real nice and fine. Get into a deal with them and then you understand if they know what they are talking about. Its one thing to not know an answer to a question its another to be in general stumped. I cant repeat enough experience is key to an agent, how else can they help and protect you?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 23, 2010
How to find the right real estate agent when buying a home
When you want to begin looking for a home, you will need to find a Realtor. First you should ask friends, relatives, or co-workers for a recommendation. Have them describe their experience with the agent and ask why they are recommending that person. You want to choose someone that you feel comfortable in working with.

It is not as important to find a Realtor who has sold the most homes, has the most experience or works for the largest and most well-known company as it is to find someone that is professional. You want an agent that will listen to you, uses ethical conduct, and knows the market.

You can also attend open houses and meet real estate agents. See how they interact with you and answer your questions. Pay attention to how they show the home. Take notes and collect business cards. Then you can compare the agents you saw.

Look at web sites of Realtors or real estate agents. Read any testimonials they have. Call them up and ask questions about their experience and how they work with buyers. Get a feel for them and what they can do for you.

You also want an agent that will work within your schedule. Most of the time it needs to be someone who works as an agent full-time. They are available days, nights, and weekends. Not all agents work the same way. Find one that you are comfortable with. Trust your instincts.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 22, 2010
Well said Timothy, you have to start somewhere. To add to my previous answer, I believe it does not matter if you been in for a year or 10 years. New agents only know the market we are in, some agents who been in the business for years my not understand this current market, they say REAL ESTATE is all about mindset, so if an EXPERIENCE agent was doing well a few years ago and now is barley doing business and is suffering from this market, what makes you think they are going to push hard to make sure there clients are getting everything they need.

Please dont take this as me knocking everyone who have been in the business for years. I have learned al ot and respect all of you, but new agents can and will close deals all day long if they have DRIVE, MINDSET, AND SUPPORT IS THERE.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 22, 2010
When you ask what is the difference between an experienced sales rep & a newer one the big question is what does "experience" mean? Some agents who have been in the business for years fail to keep up with trends. Some only go through the minimal continuing education requirements and don't improve upon their skills by taking addition training or earning designations/certifications so they can serve their clients more effectively. An agent might be newer in the business, willing to admit they don't have all the answers, but ready to research and get you the RIGHT answer. This would be better than an agent giving an off-the-cuff answer just to sound like they are in the know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 22, 2010
1 2 3 4