Lindsey, Home Buyer in Ohio

Is there concern if the seller taking so long to respond to our repair request.?

Asked by Lindsey, Ohio Wed Feb 6, 2008

Everything was going so smoothly. The offer the countered from ours was great (low). They excepted covering closing costs, they have taken excellent care in updating fixing this house for selling but now it has been a week and they have not responded to our request for them to simply reline the chimney because the inspector recommended it. From what Ive gathered the sellers are out of town, and they inherited this house there for are making a good profit Another issue has come up about a repair they did share with us and have contracted to have fixed (but it cannot be done till march). The appraiser is being anal about it and says they cannot give offical appraisal till it is complete or moneys are put in escrow. Now I have to ask the seller to do this and they havent even responded to my chimney repair request. We were suppost to close end of this month and it will SUCK if we have to close in March. WHy would a seller be so slow?

Christina Cavins’ answer
In Ohio sellers have 10 days to respond to a post inspection agreement, so if it has only been a week then I'd try to be patient - I know it's difficult! I'm sure you're sitting on pins and needles! I hope a Realtor, not just an agent, is helping through this process. If you have anymore questions, then I'd be happy to answer them!

Web Reference: http://www.teamedwards.info
There are many reasons this could happen. I typically work with Sellers, some of them are very busy and I cannot get them for days, sometimes several days, on the phone. So I wouldn't be too alarmed just yet. I would also ask, did the request have a response deadline? I always put those in as that will inspire the agent to get it done on time, whatever that time is. If there is no response time, that could be part of the reason the response hasn't been immediate.
But typically as was stated, the money for the repair can be put into escrow and the lender and underwriter will be satisfied. I hope you close on time!

Brendan Murphy
Broker, CRS, GRI, ePro
Raving Real Estate
Laramie, Wyoming
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2008
Consult a Realtor and Attorney