Home Buying in Berkeley>Question Details

twofamilies, Home Buyer in Berkeley, CA

Is there any way to search for homes with in-laws?

Asked by twofamilies, Berkeley, CA Wed May 15, 2013

We're a multi-generational family looking for a home with some separation if possible. A duplex would be fine as my parents wouldn't live here most of the year for a while we could rent it out possibly, but ideally a 3 bd in law, but it seems very random how to find this feature. We'd also love a detached studio, but that's also not something easily documented - or is it?

Help the community by answering this question:


2 Fams,

Work with an agent...then you wont have to do the searching yourself.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 26, 2013
Hi there, there is always the option of Duplex or 2 units on the same lot, there are many SFR for sale with 2 or more units,,give me a call to discuss your options at 714-743-9444,, thank you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 16, 2013
Hi there,, there is always a 2 unit homes on the same lot , so basicly you,l be buying a land with 2 homes,one to live in and one to rent or INLAWS,, give me a call at 714-743-9444 to discuss your options, thank you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 16, 2013
You are correct in that there is no one way that an in law will get described in a listing. You are best off finding an agent you like who regularly works the area in which you want to purchase. It doesn't cost you anything. There are profiles of agents on this Site, zillow, yelp etc.
Best wishes,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Most residential neighborhoods – Berkeley included – won’t allow additional units in areas zoned for single family homes. Where they DO exist, they are frequently illegal. In reality, you are looking for a duplex, which is very easy for a Realtor to do by searching the MLS for duplexes. It took me less than 30 seconds to discover that there are currently 9 duplexes on the market in Berkeley.

If you want a detached studio in Berkeley, more likely than not it’s going to be a converted garage. Again, your Realtor can search for you by searching the MLS for key words like “studio, unit, in-law, law, mother, converted, legal” and so on. A quick search revealed 5 properties that responded to these key words. One of them stated, “2/1 unit attached to the house, permits unknown.” That’s usually code for “illegal.”
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Hi, there are ways for agents to search for finished basements with separate rooms and baths etc. Contact a local agent and they will explain how they can do it. What you are looking for is an added bonus to a home so many agents will put this in the marketing or agent only remarks.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Hire a real estate agent. The agent will help you find the perfect home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer