Jen Thompson, Home Buyer in 06382

Is there any repair situation where we have recourse after closing on a house? Finding faulty structure and huge well problem in our first month.

Asked by Jen Thompson, 06382 Sun May 5, 2013

30 year old master bedroom addition was permitted but no CO until we made it condition of sale. Town issued CO to seller based on inspection report from electrician and plumber, but no open walls or structural inspection. During cosmetic renovations realizing there are some potential structural issues (wrong size floor joists, studs not properly secured). Also, home inspector noted inadequate water pressure in report but emphasized verbally to us that it's most likely a minor calibration issue with pressure tank and worst case the pressure tank needs to be replaced (couple hundred bucks and not worth negotiating). Now we are finding that we have to replace a valve within the well because the pump keeps losing pressure and constantly cycles on, which gave us a big fat electric bill just in a 12-day billing cycle. First quote to fix well problem was $5,000! Afraid to tear down sheet rock in master BR but so many signs have popped up pointing to faulty structure that we'll have to soon.

Answers

3
Greg Hanner’s answer
First, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Jen. It sounds like you did your due diligence when you purchased by seeking the assistance of a home inspector and who ever caught the fact that there was no CO on the addition was doing a good job.

I agree that it sounds like the foot valve needs to be replaced. The quote of $5,000 sounds outrageous. I've had very good luck with Dalmik Well Drilling (they service Eastern CT) and if you call them at (800) 922-6220 (Linda or Mike) you can confirm if the original quote was reasonable or not.

Home maintenance items are recurring and something that needs to be expected. I regularly post about homeowner maintenance on my blog ( http://www.gardenrealty.com/MyBlog ) and there's some good info there for you. Unfortunately, most older homes don't have warranties like new homes, so the cost for repairs will likely be yours.

I hope this info helps and best of luck since home ownership should provide you with a more positive experience and pride in ownership.

Greg Hanner, Broker, REALTOR, e-PRO
http://www.GardenRealty.com
Sounds like the "foot valve" in the well is going bad, or you have a pressure thank that has no air bladder. In either case the cost should be lots less than $5000 to replace the whole well pump. Who did you call, Bob Villa?

30 year old house with improperly secured studs? I am sorry but it sounds like it made it 30 years.
There are somethings that are just beyond the reach of Inspections and Disclosures:
If you bought a house that is 30+ years old, you bought some troubles too.
Floor joists are not normal items for a DISCLOSURE; unless you knew that they had "first hand" knowledge of them.
It sounds like you and your Inspector did the best you could.
At this point, it would seem that you have limited choices.