Home Buying in Racine>Question Details

Jjohnson, Other/Just Looking in Waukesha, WI

Is there any place (perhaps a website) where I can find statistics on realtors? I am looking to buy a house in a few months and am not sure how I

Asked by Jjohnson, Waukesha, WI Wed Apr 21, 2010

should pick a realtor. I have asked people I know, but no one really knows anyone. I've gone to a few open houses and met a few that seem knowlegeable and nice, but I am wondering if there is any better way to help pick the right realtor. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Answers

7
Do NOT use find a pro. It is completely bogus. When you search fro best match the results come up first for those who pay trulia $79 a month to be here.
http://www.trulia.com/blog/dan_chase/2010/03/do_not_use_or_t…

I am sorry to say that. I am even sorrier to see Emily recommend it.

You could look at find a pro best answers and most helpful answers. Best answers are given by the person who asks a question. Most helpful answers may or may not be a real sign of quality. It could be someone just agrees with what was said. The real best way to find someone from here is to read the Q&A section and find someone who answers questions well and often.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
For recent experieance spend some time finding a good realtor, don't just use one that is available. Check them out completely!! Spend time talking to them and letting them know your expectations are. Ask them what theirs are and how the communicate with you. The market is full of short sales and foreclosures so ask them about their experieance with those - it will be a huge plus in the future. Ask how they will alert you to new homes that fit your criteria - email or so on. I suggest using an agent that is in the office full time. One that does not have another "regular" job. We have had this issue and the agent was not as flexible as we needed them, for showing us home or even finding us homes.We now are not very confident in the agents ability and we found all the homes we looked at and put offers in on our own. So spend some time looking and talking and ask pointed questions, this person will be the one the keeps you going and giving you the warm fuzzies during this process. They can either make the journey less stressful or more stressful!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
I'm not aware of an actual website that has stats on Realtors. I would suggest you find an area you want to live and visit a few open houses. Have a basic list of questions to get a feel for their experience and area they focus on.
Once you make a short list of Realtors you would consider have a sit down interview with them. Pick one of them to show you a few homes and see how you feel about working with them, if everything is comfortable I would say move forward with them. Get someone that feels honest and straight forward and shows the willingess to give you the personal attention you need. Email them to schedule an interview and see how long it takes to get back to you. I would say if you email them in the morning on a week day they should get back to you the same day, hopefully within a few hours. Ask them to explain buyer agency with you, ask what it will cost you to have them represent you and what your options are if you no longer want to work with them.

I say if you take these steps you will find some you are comfortable with and happy to have as your agent. I'm sure you could also walk into a local brokers office and ask to speak with an agent, I guess I just figure meeting them at an open house gives you a feel of how they are out in the field.

Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
Jjohnson,
I am not sure what statistics will show you.
You need to interview agents. Interview them until you KNOW you have found the right one. Be picky, take your time and don't settle or get pushed into anything.
For the largest purchase of your life (at least for most people), it pays to be picky. The difference between a great agent and a mediocre (or worse) agent is like night and day.
Remember the agent works for you so you have to think of it like they are interviewing for a job, which is in fact what they are doing.
Agents should not only be knowledgeable but they should be willing to answer any and all questions you have thoroughly and patiently. If they don't know the answer, they should say "I don't know, but I will get back to you ASAP" and then do it. They should be flexible (within reason) about working around YOUR schedule.
They should listen to what you say and stick with it. If they don't (say on price) they should explain why. All phone calls and inquiries should be returned on a timely basis.
They should be willing to take you through and explain the process thoroughly from beginning to end.
You need to be able to trust your agent completely and know, without doubt that they are advocating for you.
I hope I helped at least a little.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
Dear Jjohnson,

The May issue of Milwaukee Magazine has a great expose' on the top 7% of realtors in the Milwaukee Metro area. It also lists their names and contact information. These are chosen through a long an arduous process and the criteria in choosing them is quite strict.

They must be nominated and the selection process is based on nine criteria:

1. Customer service
2. Communication
3. Finding the right home
4. Integrity
5. Negotiation
6. Marketing the home
7. Closing preparation
8. Overall satisfaction

In addition to the clients, they also interviewed title companies, mortgage companies etc. who worked directly with these agents.

The top 7% of the FIVE STAR AGENTS were picked out of more than 8,000 agents.

You might want to start there.

Linda
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
On find a pro http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/-all?sort_order=best_… I come up on page 1 of best answers. Page 1 of most helpful answers (thumbs up) page 1 for most activity, page 2 for vip, and page 379 of best match.
http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/-all---p_379?sort_ord…

I am not a realtor. I do not care what page I come up on for bringing in clients. I just show this so you can see how best match is not showing anything consistent with what a person has done here for giving helpful replies or blogs.

You should be able to see that find a pro is broken. Take a look at the blog in my previous reply to see why.
Hi Jjonhson,

Trulia Voices is actually a great place to search for an agent or broker to work with. You can use our Find a Pro directory to locate professionals in your area of interest and then check out the profiles of those brokers or agents who interest you. Though we don't provide stats on broker/agent sales at this time, most of the professionals in our community add that information to their profiles, along with testimonials and their past experience. From each profile you can also check out that member's Q&A and Blog participation on our site to help you get a feel for that member's personality and expertise.

I hope this information helps you. Please be sure to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator