Home Buying in Hillsboro>Question Details

Paul Sarani, Home Buyer in Hillsboro, OR

Is there any legal issues with condos in arbor rose? Is the builder being sued? Do banks give out loans? Thank you.

Asked by Paul Sarani, Hillsboro, OR Sat May 12, 2012

Answers

5
Hi Paul. Michael is correct. I found out that the negotiations for Arbor Roses just fell apart and they are back at step one again. Cash only for the foreseeable future in that neighborhood.
Hi Paul,

The HOA was supposed to have a mediation settlement in May, and if they can't reach a settlement there is a trial scheduled for June or July. In the meantime you can't get financing for Arbor Roses, until this gets resolved. Arbor Station just recently went through the same thing, and each home owner had to pay a $4,400 special assessment.
Paul, I meant to include these two websites for you. After Mother's Day is over, I'll see what else I can find out for you.

http://www.arborroseshoa.org/lawsuit/lawsuit_info_letter.pdf

http://www.arborroseshoa.org/documents/bldg_envelope_asmt_su…
Hi. Contacting Arbor is a good idea. Yes, the HOA filed a lawsuit a year and an half ago. I am contacting people I know in the neighborhood (former clients) to hear their side of the update, which I will pass on to you. In general, many builders got sued in the early to mid 2000's for shoddy workmanship. Some builders went bankrupt and quit, some went bankrupt and survived and others paid up and continued on, like Arbor. There were other Arbor neighborhoods that were hit hard by all this. In Arbors defense, I'd like to say that one of my pickest buyers currently sat down with me and a rep from Arbor and they told us of all the changes they have made to be sure it won't happen again. I know a lot about building a home and I was satisfied that they learned and fixed the problems that caused all the chaos (I'm referring to the new building they are doing).

You are wise to ask about all this because I have seen people get caught in these lawsuits and end up paying $0 up to $33,000 per household!! Ouch. Doing your homework ahead is critical, not only of the builder but also of how the HOA handles these types of things.

It is difficult to get loans when active suits are pending though depending on the buyers financial situation, there may be one who would give the loan. A lot of it depends where the suit is the the process. It is imperative that the buyer know the worst case scenario and be OK with it before they proceed.

Feel free to call/email and pick my brain about this. Most of the situations have already been fixed but there are a few lingering ones in Hillsboro.

~Nancy Crutchfield
Principal Broker at Summa Downtown Hillsboro
503-332-8939
You will want to get in touch with Brad Hosmar (503-726-7040) from Arbor Custom Homes regarding this. If you are looking for a new home in Hillsboro, you may want to check out Arbor Pass.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
As an owner of an Arbor Home the solution is simple: Don't buy an Arbor Home. mIt was the worst financial decision of my life. My HOA had to sue Arbor for construction defects which has gone on for years. The value has never gone back up from the price I paid in 2007 in part dur to the litigation and also to Arbor overbuilding in that area. The ultimate settlement did not cover the cost of repairs and every homeowner has to pay thousands of dollars to cover the difference. Also, Arbor salespeople lied about the amount of parking during condtruction to get people to buy the homes.
Flag Wed Nov 4, 2015