Lionboy17, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is there any agent or broker willing to give advice/help to a new home buyer?

Asked by Lionboy17, San Diego, CA Wed Apr 3, 2013

First time buyer, dont know what to expect and dont know anything about buying houses yet.

Answers

35
Stephen Webber’s answer
I have three suggestions; Gather information, Gather information and Gather More Information. Because the next step is to choose your lender and loan officer. A critical choice. Many of the loan officers and lenders do not have experience with the loans and assistance available for first time home buyers so will suggest a loan they have available. And many people are emailing me explaining they are having difficulty finding a lender that understands the MCC Tax Credit for first time home buyers. The MCC is the best tax credit in recent history and will save many thousands of dollars. It must be filled before you close on your loan. Read article #9 about the MCC at Your-Road-Home.com. Also the article, Consultation Interviewing Loan Officers will serve you well. Yu will also find links to the agency for your state that offers assistance and grants for first time home buyers. Trulia is also a very good source of information and after you have gathered up information you will find loan officers and real estate agents from your area offering their services on Trulia. Its best to work with a lender in your area.
Best of Luck, Stephen
Web Reference: http://Your-Road-Home.com
BUYING A HOME (The process start with the Banker not the Realtor)

Start the process right 1st by talking to a Licensed Mortgage Professional to determine who much home you can afford and whether you are credit wordy and is there an ability to repay the loan.

The Mortgage Professional will give you a conditional approval letter to take to the realtor.

Once the realtor has found your home you should get it inspected to determine if it’s structurally safe (have the realtor recommend one locally) and be sure to ask your realtor to negotiate a home warranty paid by the seller.

Now is the time to determine and negotiate you rate and terms with the Loan Officer who is responsible to order an appraisal that you will be responsible to pay for prior to the arrival of the appraiser.

You’re Mortgage Professional / Loan Officer will be responsible to guide you the rest of the process and should not take more than 30 days.

Wherever you're located in this nation, you can trust you're working with a reputable mortgage banker - not a fly-by-night operation. Here's why.

Bank of England is partners with every major investor on Wall Street; allowing us to provide the best rates and terms on all mortgages.

We are approved by the Better Business Bureau and Bank of England /ENG Lending is the only mortgage bank among its competitors that is owned by a FDIC insured bank and did not need government bailout to remain solvent.

Bank of England loan officers don't simply facilitate the loan process; they act as "financial advisors," helping clients assess their finances on a larger scale. Whether you're self-employed and need a low-doc mortgage loan, or you're searching for the best rates on a jumbo home loan, your loan officer is here to find your perfect solution.

Get the facts about home mortgages from the experts at ENG Lending. Learn about different types of home mortgage loans and what to expect during the mortgage application process. Plus, find information about the current mortgage market and which mortgage myths you should never believe.
Let ENG's experienced Mortgage Bankers help you find a solution for your financial needs. Call or Email me to get a FREE copy of the top 25 question you must asked your loan officer before you do business with them. Benefit from my 21 years of experience answering the most common mortgage questions.

Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@englending.com
16800 N. Dallas Pkwy, Suite 290 | Dallas, TX 75248
Office: 972-646-2411 | Cell: 214-418-7022 | Fax: 214-614-4637
Bank of England /dba ENG Lending: NMLS# 418481
All of us want to give advice/help to a new home buyer!

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealestateVeterans.com
(619) 929-0105
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 24, 2013
You are about to start a fun and exciting journey. There are many things to consider but first and foremost is the importance of building a team of professionals that you trust. This team should include a Realtor and a Mortgage Broker to start....then you will need home inspectors, escrow and title companies and some others but your Realtor and Mortgage broker should be able to help you with these other team members.

To make sure you a choosing the right agent to work with, look for these things:
1) EXPERIENCE...make sure your agent sells more than a few homes per year (you wouldn't hire a mechanic that has only worked on one or two cars). This is VERY important.
2) CHECK THEIR REFERENCES....most Realtors should be able to give you a list of names of people they have helped and that were happy (look for an agent that has been recommended on Trulia - like me :))
3) COMFORT....how comfortable do you feel with your agent? Do you feel that they really hear what you need and are intuitive enough to ask you the questions that you don't know need to be asked. Your agent should be able to give you all the information you need to make a decision without you feeling like they are pushing you in any way at any time. You should really feel like your Realtor CARES about you and what you need and want.
4) MONEY....don't let your agent charge you more than they should. Some agents charge YOU an additional fee for getting THEIR paperwork done. Make sure you ask upfront if they plan on charging you ANYTHING...they are paid by the seller of the home you purchase so anything more comes from YOU.
5) PROTECTION....your agent is there to PROTECT you! In the negotiation, from recognizing poor construction in a home when you are out looking, explaining disclosures and contracts and what they mean to you...and tons of other "little" things that could turn out to be not so little :)

The agent you choose will set the tone of your transaction so be careful to choose someone who you feel meets the criteria above while at the same time making the process fun and easy for you to understand.

First time home buyers have a million questions and sometimes feel uncomfortable asking them or don't know what they should be asking...I have worked with many, many first time home buyers. I would love to apply for the job of helping you find your first home!!

Jessica Hart
Solutions Real Estate
858-232-1002
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
There are plenty of steps ahead, but it can be a really empowering experience if you align yourself with the right people. I'd be happy to walk you through it all. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like:

Maureen Martin
Maureen@MyLifeLender.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
I'd be more than happy to help.

Daniel Di Matteo
619-512-0006
Daniel@DiMatteoGroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
Good afternooon,

First steps:

Meet in person with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for. Your Mortgage Banker will discuss the various loan programs, closing costs, and most important of all, monthly payment.

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Sarah Davis helped my husband and I. We were clueless as well and newbies. I absolutely loved how she was calm, not overbearing and explained everything to us. For a first time homebuyer I highly recommend going to Sarah. She held our hand through the whole process and had no problems answering any of our questions.

Sarah Davis, BROKER/ REALTOR, DRE # 01863820 Partners Realty of CA
(619) 254-5699
Sarah@RealtorSD.com http://www.RealtorSD.com
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area.

I'm an EBA and I wrote a book called "Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You". It will be the best $6 you've ever spent.

Best of luck!
Ready to buy your first home? Congratulations! You’re about to start on a one-of-a-kind journey, but whatever you do, don’t make these 5 mistakes

http://www.realtypin.com/news/story/1164-mistakes-you-can-ma…

You can go to http://www.realtypin.com/news/ and read a whole lot of information that can better prepare you for the home buying process and even get to know how to find the best Realtor.

All the best
Web Reference: http://www.realtypin.com
You should find a good agent first. There are many agents out there that can help. Some will even give you a portion of there commission back.
Lion....

These are services that all agents provide for their customers. We realize that most people only purchase a couple of homes during their lives, thus the vast majority of buyers require the same level of support as you.

You are on a recognized real estate website, in a program that offers agent searches. I might be a good idea to begin your search right here by targeting agents specializing in your target location(s). Prior to contacting someone, you have the luxury of being able to review real estate answers they have posted on trulia and get a feel for their level of experience and knowledge.

I think you should Google your local real estate agent as they will give more insight of area around you. you can also look for refferals through friends and families as they have better experince.
Although I'm in a different County, I can guarantee that you will have to talk to a lender first, unless you have lots of cash. Get your finances in order and then you can start to make offers. Go to open houses in your target neighborhoods so that you know what is on the market and how much homes are selling for. Make a list of "must have's". Don't give up. The right property is out there for you. Good luck on your search! Contact me if you have further questions.
Lionboy,
When I read your question I took it to mean that you are buying a "new home" and you were looking for an agent to give you some advice about buying a home from a new home builder...not a resale home. Many buyers don't know that most new home builders cooperate with the Realtor community. I feel it is very important to be represented by a Realtor when selecting a new home and dealing with the builder. Most new home builders require that you have your Realtor with you when you visit the new home project on your first visit. So, have your Realtor take you on a tour of the new home sites and sign in with them. Your Realtor can help you negotiate incentives and upgrades that the new home builder might not automatically give you. Call an experienced real estate broker today and begin looking at those new home sites!
Steven Campbell
Real Living Lifestyles
steven@sellsandiegohomes.com
http://www.sellsandiegohomes.com
Hello Lionboy17, I am here for you and have agents to assist you in your home purchase. You will first need to be pre-approved to be able to meet with an agent and look at and submit offers on homes of your choice. You may qualify with a minimum 580 fico score and as low as half percent down payment programs. You can buy with minimum out of pocket expenses. Here is a needs list to gather for processing a loan approval, DU Approval or pre-approval letter to get out shopping.

I specialize in Under 640 Fico Score Loans and offer credit repair at no cost to raise fico scores to qualify. I can raise fico scores within 3-4 days in most cases. It is going to depend on what your fico scores are, debt to income ratios and how much you want to invest into the down payment and closing costs? How much do you have to work with?

if you have a minimum 700 fico score, you may qualify for 3% down conventional, a minimum 620 fico score may qualify for 5% down conventional with NO Mortgage insurance (Lender paid MI). If you have a minimum 580 fico score you may qualify for FHA 3.5% down or as low as half percent down payment program.

It only takes a few dozen questions to qualify you in minutes for the loan program to fit your needs the best financially. There is an example of different loan programs, down payments and payments in the conventional link below. Here are some links to study and consider that I offer.

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/Conventional.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/FHA.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/JumboLoan.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/CHDAPLoans.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/HalfPercentDown.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/ContactSheryl.aspx
Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
DRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
9am till 9pm 7 days
http://youtu.be/MrygA2_8fAY
Lowell is spot on. As a RE pro from Texas he has nothing to gain or lose by telling you like it is. He's given you some pretty sound advice. We know a few good lenders in the area that we'd love to introduce you to.
Looks like you've got a plate full of advice and experience. We'd also be very happy to help you through the buying process. Please feel free to call anytime. 760 815-6977. Or email me at onthelevel@cox.net.
Try to work on your credit score to get it as high as possible, try to find an honest, hard working Realtor in your area. Start looking at homes in different neighborhoods so you can get an idea of how much it will cost to move into certain areas.

You will also need a lender for the loan. I work with a great broker. Let me know if you would like his information.

As Cory stated, you will get MANY replies. We have worked with over 70 first time buyers. Please feel free to call us with any questions, no obligation and we are glad to help.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
858-761-5233
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
Hello, I do cover the area of Paradise Hills. I would be happy to help answer any of your questions and help you get into your first home. Call me or just send me an e-mail.

Bly's Realty Group

Richard Bly:
Broker - Officer / CA. Notary Public
Tel: 619-402-8682
Fax: 619-312-4588
E-Mail: richard@blysrealtygroup.com
My Website: http://www.blysrealtygroup.com

CA. Dept. of Real Estate Lic. #01765273
As you can see, lots of agents are!

The most important thing when selecting an agent is to select one that will be up front with you. It's easy to say, "I can get you into your dream home," but no one can know that without knowing more about your financial situation.

Be sure your agent is available when you need him/her. many agents quit working at 5:00, sometimes because they work from their broker's office, and sometimes because they only work business hours. If you have a question in the evening, you really should be able to get an answer, or at least give the information needed to get an answer.

Use an agent whose lenders are not affiliated with the broker. There's often an incentive to use those lenders, but you'll need a lender who can close loans, including FHA and VA in under 30 days. Lenders whose underwriters are outsourced take longer and you can't contact them. There is way too much competition right now; you'll need to compete with other offers.

Use an agent that will be honest with you and have your back financially. Anyone can get into escrow, but a good agent will insist on a full loan pre-approval before writing offers. It'll cost you $450 for an appraisal, and up to $450 usually for an inspection depending on the size of the home. If you can't close escrow because of something that could have been avoided up front, you don't get that money back.

Use an agent who'll take the time to explain things to you, and not patronize you. Buying a home is a process, and the more you understand and know up front, the less scary it becomes.

Great question!

Warm Regards,
Cory
Hi Lionboy,

The most important step is the preapproval. I can give you 3 great recommendations. The other important benefit I can provide is access to a list of homes that aren't yet listed in the MLS which may save you some of the first time homebuyer frustrations with a fast paced sellers market like we're currently experiencing. Give me a call at 760-618-1490 to get started this week. Thanks.

Chris Whittaker
CEO, Real Estate Insight
Solutions Real Estate
Chris@NCSanDiego.com
http://www.reiteam.net/search/
CA DRE# 01895376
Looks like you have several great options. I would love to help you find a new home and walk you through the entire home buying process. If your interested we can meet and talk about your options! Feel free to email or call directly.

Alessandra Seader
Real Living Napolitano
Sandra.seader@gmail.com
619-567-8962
Let's get a burger and a beer and talk Real Estate!

Royce Kemp
858-480-5570
royce@roycekemp.com

There are many great Realtor s that specialize in assisting First time home buyers. I would be pleased to introduce you to several. You should interview each for a good fit. Even though you are new at this you must remember that you are in the drivers seat. Surround your self with a good solid team. That leads me to the most important aspect of my message. GET PRE APPROVED FOR THE LOAN FIRST!

This will give you the basis of what you can afford to borrow and what your monthly payment will be. I am happy to assist you in regards to the financing and also possible Grants offered by the San Diego Housing Commission.

Best wishes,

John H. Georges
Business Development Manager
OCMBancorp, Inc, San Diego, Ca.
NMLS # 237023
Fax- 909-494-4209

http://www.e-approval.com
Hi Lionboy,
I am an experienced agent with first time home buyers. Love to interduce you with one of the best direct Leander who can start the process of getting you pre approved. I will answer all your questions first and then start the process of showing you homes. You do need to be aware of all your options before you step to the market. I am very patioent and willing to listen to you and answer all your questions.

I am a full service Realtor with Coldwell Banker here in Mission Valley. I will be happy to assist you with any and all services you need to purchase your new home.

I am a certified short sale and foreclosure specialist which will help you in those types of properties.

Please reach me at 619-990-0302
Hi Lionboy,
I am a broker and a Realtor and willing and able to help you buy your first home! Call me, text me, email me with what questions you have and we can get your started on the path to home ownership!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®

McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
brokermcallister@gmail.com EMAIL
Lionboy17

I am certain that within a few minutes you will have had several responses to your questions.

Initially, you should contact a Lender who can help determine what price range that you should be seeking based upon your qualifications. That is a " Key " first step.

Try to locate a Lender who will answer all of your questions, and do all of the above. Talk to 2 or 3, and go with whom you feel the most comfortable. Besides myself, I am sure there are many fine Lenders on here who would be willing to assist you.

You can reach me through my profile here on Trulia.

Once you have your pre-qualifications out of the way, you can then begin your search for a Realtor who serves the area that you wish to purchase in. Again, I am certain that you will also get many responses here from Realtors offering to assist you. Again, talk to 2 or 3, and make your determination accordingly depending on your comfort level with them.

Best of Luck.

Wayne L. Brown
Mortgage Banker
Security National Mortgage Company
NMLS # 343946
Company NMLS 3116
Hey Lionboy
Your first step is to gather all the information so you can interview a loan officer and determine if the person is ethical, experienced and works all of the loan types and assistance for first time home buyers. There is a web site packed full of useful information for first time home buyers. Your-Road-Home.com. Read the articles in the numbered order and you will soon be a savvy home buyer. Be sure to read, Consultation Interviewing Loan Officers and also be sure to read about the MCC tax credit. Best tax credit ever. There is also an article that includes a link to your States agency that offers grants and assistance for first time home buyers.
After you gather up enough information to feel confident interviewing loan officers and real estate agents you will find them on Trulia from your area offering their services. Good Source.
Best of Luck, Stephen
thanks for the advice.
Flag Wed Apr 3, 2013
Hi Lionboy,

I'd be happy to meet with you at your convenience to discuss the ins and outs of buying your first home. The good news is you don't need to know ANYTHING about buying a home. That's why you work with a REALTOR how does have all the necessary skills and information to assist you in your purchase. I'd be happy to discuss what the first steps are in buying a home and what to expect along the process.

Please feel free to give me a call or send me an email anytime to discuss!

Theresa Mack
Coldwell Banker
(858) 230-4850
theresakmack@gmail.com
http://www.mackrealestate.com
The best idea then would be to interview a few agents. Take note of the vibes you get from them, if they listen to what you want, if they sound like they can meet your expectations, see how knowledgeable they are about loans, see if they have a good rep in the business, check their website, do they have time to work with you?

Being a first time buyer is something every good agent should have experience with. WE, as Realtors, know what to expect from a buyer, but can they live up to what you want out of a Realtor?

What are some of your questions? If I can't help you, I can refer you to an agent who can.

Valli Lopez
CA DRE 01810641
619.916.9595
Valli@thebrikhogroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.ValliLopez.com
Hi there,

I specialize in working with First Time Home Buyers, so I would be happy to forward you some information and answer any questions you might have.

In addition, you might like to set up a free account on my website to start receiving daily updates as new listings hit the market. Just go to http://www.GreaterGoodRealty.com and click on the bright orange bar below the photos.

By the way, I am the co-founder of Greater Good Realty. In addition to providing valuable information about the San Diego real estate market, my company donates 10% of our commissions to local charities and non-profit organizations throughout San Diego.

We hope to make a difference for those in our neighborhoods!

Thanks again and feel free to give me a call or email.

Warm Regards,

David Stone
Greater Good Realty
619-206-1551
David@GreaterGoodRealty.com

CA DRE#01888818
Hi Lionboy,

You are about to get bombarded with answers!!!! I have helped several first time home buyers and have their testimonials that I'd be happy to share with you, along with their contact information.

Feel free to call me and I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com