Home Buying in 94022>Question Details

P, Home Buyer in 94022

Is there an inexpensive way to get someone to sketch our your existing floor plan? I thought I remember seeing a poplar service in bay area?

Asked by P, 94022 Tue Aug 28, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Juliana Lee’s answer
Plans by John, suggested by Bryan, has been recommended by several agents in my office. You might also consider some of the online services which convert sketches into nicely drawn plans, for example: http://www.floorplanet.com. If you own a tract house don't forget to either search online ("eichler floor plans") or post a message to your neighborhood association.

Be sure to check the dimensions for tract house plans. They aren't always identical.

Best wishes,
Juliana Lee
Web Reference: http://www.julianalee.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
If you have an iphone or an ipad go download this app called MagicPlan. It's free and you can use it to create your own blueprint of your house. This is the least expensive way that I know how.

If you have any other questions or are interested in the Santa Clara County real estate market check out my blog at http://BayAreaConnect.com
Web Reference: http://BayAreaConnect.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Anyone should be able to do this themselves with even a grammer school education and a tape measure from Home Depot.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
There is one minor problem when going to a city or county building department for a copy of the plans for your home as suggested by Grace - the plans are copyrighted and belong to the architect or designer who drew them – you cannot get a copy without their written authorization. The city has to send a letter to the architect/designer in question and wait for a response. If it’s an old house, chances are the city will no longer be able to contact them. After a wait of 30-60 days, if there is no response, the city will release the plans so you can make copies. If it’s a newer home, chances are the answer might be no.

There is nothing to stop you from hiring a draftsman/contractor/architect/designer to visit your home, measure it and then produce a set of plans. They can be very basic or could be a complete set of “Existing Structure” drawings – it’s up to you. Prices vary tremendously. Contact the local technical schools to see if there is a hungry drafting student that may do this for food …

There are also a few apps out there for iPad and iPhone – MagicPlan seems to be the best.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
I was going to suggest the Majic Plan as Thomas stated. I personally had problems getting it to work properly. It may have been operator malfunction.

If you ever had an appraisal done on your home you will have a rough drawing already. Also, great suggestions here by Juliana, Brian, and Grace as well.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2012
Hi P, and thanks for your post.

Go to the City Planning Department and ask to see a copy of the plans for your home. You should be able to make a photocopy of the basic floor plan for your house. If need something more elaborate, however, you will need to work with either a software program to sketch this out for yourself or to contact an architect to help you. But, by far, the Planning Department in your city is the fastest, easiest and most accurate way to get a copy of the house plans.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Yes, contact John Liggett at plansbyjohn@gmail.com and for a few hundred dollars he'll create a complete set of drawings for your home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer