Home Buying in Columbia>Question Details

BrianRF, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Is there an area between D.C. and Baltimore that has good schools and has more new construction/contemporary homes?

Asked by BrianRF, Chicago, IL Fri Sep 13, 2013

Answers

11
Howard County! Clarksville, Laurel, Columbia, Ellicott City.

Great Location with good schools, please contact with we for any questions.

Vitaly Petrov
Maryland Realtor®
Keller Williams Realty Centre
6230 Old Dobbin Lane, Suite 150
Columbia, MD 21045
Cell : 443-449-9883
eFax: 443-408-5655
Office: 410-312-0000
http://www.MarylandPropertyOnline.com
Thank you! Are these places also LGBT-friendly? Would our kids feel comfortable going to school with two dads or two moms?
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
Hi BrianRF,

There are lot of areas. Columbia, MD is right in the middle of the two metro areas giving you quick access to both while offering new construction homes with contemporary models.

good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
Hi Brian,

I agree that the Howard County areas of Columbia, Ellicott City and Clarksville would be a great location between both DC and Baltimore. We just moved our First National Bank office out to this area and it has been an easy commute from Baltimore with I-95.

It has great shopping, restaurants and beautiful homes all around. My cousins live in the area as well and the are very happy with the schools for their kids.

Good luck and if you are interested in getting pre-approved for financing, please give me a call!

Ami

Ami S. Desai
First National Bank
Producing Manager
NMLS# 245984
Office: 410-581-3206 X101
Try Howard County. It is one of the most affluent counties in the nation. Their schools are always ranked in the top nationwide. It is an equal distance from both Baltimore and Washington DC.
Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. It seems Columbia might be worth checking out. And we're not looking yet- just gathering some information. Thanks everyone.
Brian,

What price range are searching in?

Greg Myers
Re/MAX Realty Group
Hello Brian!

What area in Chicagoland are you moving from? I lived there for about 7 years while in the Navy. I would welcome the opportunity to work with you find the right home for your family in the Columbia area. There are a number of communities to choose from in Columbia. It's always been a very family friendly community. Feel free to contact me.

301.974.7110 | mobile
http://www.BridgetteChase.com
Hi Brian,

I think you will find that Columbia is LBGT friendly. It is a fairly liberal community when it comes to social issues. It is the 1st planned city and was developed with input from several groups including social workers. It's a great place to live and an easy commute to Baltimore and DC. The Howard County schools are some of the finest in the nation as far as scores and college bond. You will need to check out which part of Columbia has the better schools. For example Centenial HS is outstanding and rates extremely high. I lived in Columbia for 20+ years raising 4 kids. I hated to move but alas retirement calls ;-)
One more thing - there's been quite a bit of new construction in a lot of areas recently so I'm sure we could find something no matter where you're looking. As for the contemporary part of it - define what you mean by contemporary. To some people it means updated interior with nice cabinets, granite counters and stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, nice hardwoods throughout the house, and a fresh "new house smell". Or are you talking about the actual style of the house being contemporary?
Hello Brian!

There are some great schools in Severna Park in Anne Arundel County in addition to the aforementioned Howard and Montgomery County areas. And Anne Arundel County property taxes tend to be lower. A lot of people also like Anne Arundel County as it is close to the water and right in between Baltimore and Annapolis; very accessible. Also depends on what kind of price range you're looking in. A good resource to check out information about schools is http://www.greatschools.org. As for whether the schools are LGBT-friendly, I am not sure. My suggestion would be to call a few and ask to see if they've had any issues. It's probably difficult to avoid intolerance all together, especially because kids can be mean, however I can't see the professionals at the schools discriminating. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss more. What's bringing you to MD from the windy city? I'm here to help so don't hesitate to contact me any time. :)

Marika Clark, Realtor
Keller Williams Select Realtors
696 Ritchie Highway, Suite 100, Severna Park, MD 21146
c. (443) 572-9169 | o. (443) 261-1100 | e. marika.clark@kw.com

"Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort." - Theodore Roosevelt
Brian,

You likely won't find new "contemporary" homes as new construction in the Maryland area. Contemporary homes comprise less than 3% of total homes built, your home searches have likely shown this. Your search for a contemporary homes will be in the re-sale market as most are custom built.

Howard County has excellent schools as does Montgomery County depending on your chosen area.
Your county choice should be made based on from where you are commuting to work and how you are commuting...ie by car, train, subway etc.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
gregorymyers@mris.com