Home Buying in Golden>Question Details

Dawn, Other/Just Looking in Boulder, CO

Is there a way to find out who a builder or designer was for a home that is not for sale? Public records, etc?

Asked by Dawn, Boulder, CO Sun May 19, 2013

There is a home in which we love the design, not the spot it is located and it is not for sale. We'd like to build the same or very similar home on a lot (which we have not purchased yet) but don't know how to begin to find out who built it without driving up and knocking on the door which would be intrusive. The owner may not even know. I am not sure how old the home is, although I believe it was built within the past 5 years. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Any real estate expert who have experience with buyers of land who want to hire a builder for a home of their own choosing would be much appreciated as well. (As opposed to buying a lot where specific styles of homes are offered for that particular subdivision).

Answers

5
If it is in Golden go to the planning dept and they will have the permits - if it is in Jeffco go to planning dept at the courthouse and they will have the permits - that will list all the info you need!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 19, 2013
You may have already gotten the answer you were looking for, but if not, the builder of a home is typically shown on the plat which is recorded at the County or City and there shouldn't be a charge to just view a plat.

Best wishes!
Hi Dawn,

I hope you got my answer earlier on your other question. If you will send me the address of the home, I may know or will be able to find out for you the builder is. There are 5 or 6 custom builders that I am familiar with in the West and Northwest areas. I also know of custom builders who can design a home the way you would want it or very close to a home you have seen and also maximize the mountain views. One of the best designers in the area is Carl Whitten of the Whitten Design Group that we have worked with to draw up plans for a custom home build. The answers below are also good resources to get an answer. Contact me. We are here to assist you with all of your Denver area real estate needs.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
robertmcguire33@gmail.com
The answers you've gotten so far are excellent--check who got the permits on the property.

Another way to consider is to do a search on properties in the same neighborhood that have been for sale. There may be information on those listings indicating who the builder was. (Very likely there will be.)

One other thing you might do is copy the listing photo of the front of the house. (Either right-click and then "Save As" or shift-print screen, then copy to Paint and save.) Then go to TinEye http://(www.tineye.com) and have it search on your image to see if it brings up anything similar. If it doesn't, this might work: Plug in the address of the property into Google. Do a search. Then, after it's searched and found some results, click "Images" on the top bar. That'll produce images that are related to the property. If you find one of the front of the house, hover your pointer over that image. At the bottom of the image, you'll have a choice of "Find Similar" and "Other Sizes." Click "Find Similar." That may produce other images that are very similar--perhaps the same design...with a different address, or on the builder or architect's website. You may be able to track your information down that way.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You didn't give the address, so I don't know if it's in the city of Golden or just has a Golden address. If the former, call the City of Golden's building permits department (303-384-8000) and ask them who was issued the building permit. If it's not in the city (and Golden can tell you, if you're not sure), then call the Planning and Zoning Department at Jefferson County (303-271-8700) and ask them the same question. I specialize in Golden, so if I can be of service, call me at 303-525-1851.