Brenna, Home Buyer in Illinois

Is there a way to find out what the average utility bills have been for a house one is considering buying?

Asked by Brenna, Illinois Mon Jan 26, 2009

In particular, I would like to be able to find out what the electricity and gas bills have been like for previous residents.

Answers

10
There are several ways, but let me tell you what the easiest is:

If and when I am the listing agent for the seller, I usually ask them to give me their electric and gas bill
expenses - which most of them willingly do, if not on day one, they will provide the information at one point or as soon as an interested buyer asks the question...

If you are the buyer and I were your buyers agent, i.e. working on your behalf as the buyer, I would ask the
Listing agent to get that information from the sellers as soon as possible so that my buyers can have an app. idea.

Now having all that said, there is a huge difference in how people live and use their home and consequently how they heat and cool their homes. Some use a really good thermostat and keep the house in the winter at a relatively cool temp for the night and others do not, so whatever that particular home owner pays is just an app. guideline to you.

Once you move in, you possibly can make changes, you can put in better insulation in the attic, or may be consider new windows etc. and that way improve your monthly utility costs...

But what the current owners paid as an average throughout a year is a good indication what it will cost you.

And then remember there are some basics that make one house more or less expensive to heat or cool
one floor with finished basement, 2 or 3 or 4 story homes, split levels etc.

I hope I helped a little with my input, work with a buyers agent who works on your behalf and he/she will help you get the questions you have answered.....
Take care and good luck
Edith
edithsellshomes@gmail.com
Brenna,
Ask your buyers agent to contact the sellers agent as they may already have this information.

All the best.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 1, 2013
deeeeez nuuuuuuuuuuuuts
Flag Sat May 2, 2015
I figured that was the only way to do it, but I thought I'd check anyway. It would be nice if you could see the average utility rates for an entire area. I guess I'll just have to check every house individually. http://www.maketheswitchusa.com
Flag Tue Apr 14, 2015
Just call the utility company, give them the address and they will give you the information. Usually it's that simple.

Coni Otto
Web Reference: http://www.coniotto.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 26, 2009
How do you find out what the utility company is when you are from another state?
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
Brenna - If you'd like I'd be happy to find the information for you. Where are you looking?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 26, 2009
Hello, can you help me checking the electricity and water average for the following appartments:

812 W Nevada St, Urbana IL 61801
203 S 3rd St, Champaign, IL 61820
102 S Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61801

Thank you very much.
Flag Sat Mar 26, 2016
I am looking at 17 furlane dr San Jose IL
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013
would you mind helping me? Im moving into 4750 Galleon crossing Decatur Ga 30035
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
What is the average gas and electric for 7640
Greycliff Drive, Lincoln NE
Whats gas bill and electricity bill at629 5 th ave new brighton pa15066
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 26, 2013
Checking see how much gas bill at 629 5thave new brighton pa15066
We just asked the seller for the past years bills.
If you con act the utility companies with the property address they can tell you the monthly and average costs. In addition to gas and electric you may want to include : Water, Sewer, Internet, Dish ,phone, and Community association fees (if applicable).
Absolutely. Do not ask the Seller. You or your Buyer's agent can call the Gas 7 Electric company with the address of the property and they'll tell you the average bill over the last 12 months. The Seller can get a printout going back even further. Of course this won't help if the house has been vacant.
Actually I work for a utility company and I know we deal with that question a lot and we are only allowed to give that info to the property owner or real estate agent handling the property. Due issues of the bills being too high causing the potential buyer to lose interest in the location due to the utility price
Flag Sun Mar 13, 2016