Kristin Coll…, Home Buyer in Cedar Park, TX

Is there a way to find out how many homes are for rent in my neighbor hood? We are buying a house and want to know how many in the area are for rent.

Asked by Kristin Collins, Cedar Park, TX Mon Jul 11, 2011

Answers

9
Annette Lawrence 727.420.4041’s answer
Kristin,
That is a great question and one that most certainly should be asked.
There are many ways to do this. The easiest would be to consult your real estate professional. They have access to a number of databases that reveal occupancy, license and permit status.

A second would be to count how many homes have cars parked in the grass or lining the street, and/or poor curb appeal. Remember, no one washes a rental car. This of course is not a scientific approach, but does reveal what you are really trying to determine.

Finally, if you have access to the county tax database, you can determine the number of home that are NOT owner occupied. These non owner occupied or non-resident homes can be holiday or vacation homes (happens a lot in Florida) and not necessarily rentals. Again, not perfect, but a revealing number all the same.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence
Broker/associate
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727. 420. 4041
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
There is a tedious and free way to figure this out yourself for free. Go to the Travis or Williams county deed and appraisal websites and search each house address in that subdivsion. If the owner's name Address does not match the homes Address then the home is a Rental. By doing this long and tedious process, you would be surprised to see how many Texas homes are owned by California and other out of state home owners. I know this works because the home I bought two years ago was a rental by a California home owner, who said that they never visited my house.
I can help you with that kind of information.
If you want to send me the name of the subdivision, I'll be glad to let you know how many homes are listed for lease in the MLS for your desired subdivision.

Guy E. Gimenez ABR, CRS, GRI
Broker / Owner / Investor
The PowerHouse Group
512-731-5613
guy@phgbrokers.com
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com
Your realtor should be able to run this for you.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
If You're buying why are you worried about Renal Units in the area. Well never mind the reason, just ask you Realtor to tell you what that number is!
Hello Kristin,

You can have your Realtor check the MLS to see what is currently active and what has recently rented over the past year to get an idea. Many people use services like Craigslist for rentals so it would not pick up all of them but at least it would give you an idea. If you need any assistance please let me know.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
Which neighborhood? I would be able to be specific with updated information if you can tell the neighborhood or the subdivision where you are buying a property.
Is a realtor representing you?
Yes, I can get you a pretty close number. It would be all those that are currently listed for rent, right?

If you are wanting to know how many homes in your area have people renting them. This is a little different.

Chris Rodriguez, e-PRO®, TRLP
REALTOR® - #0563503 - Licensed to Practice Real Estate in the Great State of Texas
Austin REAL Pros, REALTORS® - Downtown and Central

2011 Treasurer, Women's Council of REALTORS® Austin Chapter
2011 WCR 1st Quarter, REALTOR® of the Quarter
2011 Austin Board of REALTORS®, Realty Round Up Chair
2010 WCR Treasurer, Rookie of the Year

Who is representing you? Please click here for Information About Brokerage Services.

CONFIDENTIALITY
This email message and any attachments is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copies of this e-mail and any prints thereof.