Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

stevsand2000, Home Buyer in Buckeye, AZ

Is there a way to find an agent that actually works to find a house? I said I did not want HOA, what do I get? HOA listings.

Asked by stevsand2000, Buckeye, AZ Tue May 7, 2013

Answers

19
When I came to phx about a hundred years ago, I had not realized that two bodies of real estate
have HOAs, though run totally different--condos/townhouses and batches of normal, every day
houses. This second type of HOA is not a HOA like that of a complex of townhouses or
condos that are run by an active, voted in assn with dues, etc. A condo assn creates rules
that are supposed to protect the owners and collect enough to pay for all grounds maintenance
and the pool.

A housing HOA has no dues and does not conduct maintenance checks or anything else--it
does have rare parties, allows for street blockages for specific events, etc.

THEREFORE, when your agent shows you a house, and if it "accidentally" has an HOA
"attached some legal way"--it is not an HOA like that of a condo and it is not onerous
or disruptive.

It is possible that all separate, detached houses near a state's capital, have HOAs that actually
should be called something else.

Thus, if the HOA has no dues or special rules, ignore its existence.

Happy house hunting.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
I work full time, and I have built my business on referrals because I listen. Call me if you are in need of a great Realtor.
AJ Stewart
Steve, are the listings coming from the MLS portal that your agent set up for you, or from a search from a separate website? The only way that I know to ensure that my clients do not receive HOA listings is to mark the 'No' box under HOA when I set up their personal portals. Most other sites will send you listings automatically, on behalf of the agent, and the agent won't even know those listings are being sent to you. If you don't have a portal set up for you (or set up properly), I am happy to help!

It is definitely more 'work' to find the right home without an HOA, as inventory is scarce as it is. There are some HOA's, however, that may allow you to have horses, RV's or toys, or additions, etc....so it is possible that you may not want to filter out ALL HOA's....unless you are simply anti HOA ;-)

There are lots of agents out there who don't really know how to search the MLS effectively and/or set up portals effectively. One wrong click and it can ruin the search. There are also many who only work as an agent Part Time, and then there are those who are simply LAZY and don't LISTEN to their client's needs.

Hopefully you have worked this out with him/her....if not, text/call/email me and I will take care of you!

Jessica Sulliman
602-677-7977
azshortsalediva@gmail.com
The reason I enjoy representing clients in their buying process is because I like to listen.
HOA's are a real world item these days. But if you are truly seeking a non HOA community then I would be only seeking a non HOA cimmunity.

I would be honored to sit and discuss your questions with you.

Doug Fry, Realtor® "Call Me, Let's Talk Real Estate"
602.549.7994 DougFry@douglasfry.net http://www.DougFry.com

Russ Lyon Sotheby's International Realty
17207 N Perimeter Drive Suite 120
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Your agent can specify no HOA in their search parameters for you. It will not filter out the occassional property that was entered with incorrect HOA information. Also, please note that the City of Phoenix has been requiring an HOA for many years now on developments that have more than about 5 lots, so if you are wanting a relatively new home, there are not that many that are not in an HOA. Also, depending on what price range you are looking in, there are often multiple offers within days (sometimes within hours) when a new listing comes on the market or when a price reduction has been made, especially in the under $200,000 price range. You and your Realtor should have a detailed conversation about what you are qualified for, what exactly you are looking for, and what the inventory and current market are like in the specific neighborhoods you like for the types of home you want. The inventory is extremely tight right now and it just may be that what you are seeking is in very limited supply. You and your agent must address the challenges and make a plan for how you may best approach your home search so you improve your chances of finding what you want. Good luck on your home search!
Depending on the rest of your criteria, such as it being a newer home, most may be in a HOA community. This is why I feel it is so important to have a sit down meeting with a potential home buyer to go over their particular wants and needs.
Are you searching for a home to buy or rent? What are the other criteria that you have for your home? I am a very experienced agent with extensive recommendations from my clients that you can see on my Trulia.com profile. How can I help you?
Hey Steve!
If you would like my help in finding what YOU WANT, I am here to help!
I work for YOU, and that means I find what YOU are looking for.

Feel free to check out my website, and you can search homes that you would be interested in!
http://www.rebeccasellsaz.com

OR, if you would like to send me an e-mail with your information, and I can take on the job of looking for a home that meets your criteria in the MLS.
rebeecakallhoff@gmail.com

If you have any questions or concerns, PLEASE feel free to give me a call!
480-275-9566

PS. I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with your Realtor. When you work with me we become a team in the home buying process where you also have access to the Arizona MLS and I also send you properties that match your specific search criteria. If you are interested in working with me, then please go to our web site at: http://www.PositionRealty.com to gain access to the REAL Arizona MLS.

Also, please give me a call to discuss the specific property are you looking for so that I can best serve your needs. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sean Heideman, Broker
Position Realty
Office: 480-213-5251
Fax: 866-232-2256
Web: http://www.PositionRealty.com
Hi, Steve,

It is a tough market to find great homes for clients now. We can create a search a search for a home with out hoa.

Sometimes it is hard to filter the auto searches for a client. In some areas it can be hard to find a home with out HOA. With out knowing your criteria for a home I could not know that with out having a discussion with you..

It is a tough market and difficult to find a home for many buyers.

Feel free to contact me if you need any guidance.

Lucinda Tkach
602-799-6846
I'm sorry you're not satisfied with your current agent. I don't work in your area, but I can refer you to some good agents that do. Any Realtor can search for homes on the MLS that doesn't include an HOA. Are you in a current, contractual relationship with your Realtor? Have you pointed out the oversight and given them an opportunity to correct it? They may have just accidentally hit the wrong button.

I'd write a letter to your state representatives asking that the license requirements for obtaining a residential real estate license be increased. There is no requirement a real estate agent have a high school diploma or GED. Is that ridiculous or what? There is no requirement for mentorship. The class work is a mere 90 or so hours and doe not teach the actual tools of the trade such as how to search for homes on the ARMLS system.

BTW... a massage therapist has to take about 8 times the hours of course work a real estate agent does. A licensed pool service person has to have 1 year of mentorship.

Problems like you are experiencing are all too common. Better educated and trained agents may reduce the frustration people experience. The only way this will happen is when the public raises their voice to their state representatives and say "enough is enough".
Steve,
I would encourage you to first talk to your agent and emphasize what you are looking for - it's very easy to check "NO HOA" on the searches.
It may even be worth discussing what is it in HOA neighborhoods that you dislike - some HOA are actually very helpful for the residents.
You are welcome to call me or email if you feel you need recommendations for how to structure your search.
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
It is possible the agent just made an error in marking your search criteria. Let your agent know that you would like it corrected. He/she should be more than happy to fix it, if not then find a different agent. There are a lot of good ones out there!
I've heard this is a common problem, and I've also see the attention to detail (or rather lack of) some agents pay to the details on posts here on Trulia.

It is easy to exclude homes that have an HOA in the MLS. I'm not sure what area of town you are looking for, but if you provide that I'm sure I can get you in touch with an agent with an ear and a brain.

Here is a link to single family homes in the Greater Phoenix area in the range of $70-$220k with no HOA:

http://www.flexmls.com/link.html?zp0xwuo74ab,12,1
A lot of agents will throw anything and everything at you. If you want an agent that will fine tune your search contact me. Best wishes
Steve, As a mortgage banker, I can tell you there are many MANY different ways for a realtor to find a property. Right now, due to the demand for property, it is a seller's market. In other words, the sellers generally have the upper hand. I would ask the realtor to refine his search criteria. If he or she cannot find you the property you are looking for, I would gladly recommend some knowledgeable and professional relators to you. What areas are you looking to purchase property in?

I am a Mortgage Banker in metro Phoenix, AZ. I lend in both Arizona and California where I will be pleased to help you. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, please feel free to contact me or pass along my information. 623-340-0934 Korene Clopine-Seaman NMLS # 218520 KLCSLoanTeam.com We are Direct Lenders, WE CLOSE LOANS!
Absolutely, for a seasoned professional with an eye for details & head for numbers, contact Loren Hoboy at (623) 297-3537.

Ros

Roswell Moore, CMPS
Certified Mortgage Planner
480-422-5095 direct

Sun West Mortgage USA, Inc. (FN)
NMLS Company ID: 3277 / Branch ID: 359295
8950 East Raintree Drive, Suite 200, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
http://www.ezAZloan.com
NMLS ID 263779

We are a Direct Lender, Mortgage Bank where we originate, process, underwrite, fund, AND SERVICE our loans, in-house, with FHA (starting at a 580 score AND still only 3.5% down), FHA Streamline refinance loans (NO minimum credit score, NO appraisal required), HARP 2.0 - No Appraisal Required to Refinance Underwater Homes, HomePath, Investor Friendly (10 financed properties), VA, VA Refinance loans (NO appraisal required on IRRRL loans), USDA loans, Jumbo loans, Conventional loans, plus, we allow Escrow Hold-Backs!
Hello:

I am not an agent, but I know a few good ones around the Valley after 14 years in the residential lending side of the business. Which area(s) are you interested in, as you want to be sure to hire an agent who is familiar with the area or you will get the results you mention.