Question Details

S, Home Buyer in Bay Area, CA

Is there a standard home Inspection agreement used in California (Dublin)?

Asked by S, Bay Area, CA Fri Oct 10, 2008

Is there a standard home inspection agreement used in California? The home inspector I am considering for my purchase has sent me an agreement that appears somewhat restrictive that he wants me to sign prior to the inspection. Please advise. For example the agreement says :
1) "THE WRITTEN REPORT IS THE PROPERTY OF THE INSPECTOR AND THE CLIENT AND SHALL NOT BE USED BY OR TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR COMPANY WITHOUT BOTH THE INSPECTOR'S AND CLIENT'S WRITTEN CONSENT"
=====>How am I then supposed to share / communicate with the buyer to negotiate repairs???

2) This inspection is not intended to be technically exhaustive nor is it considered to be a GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE CONDITIONS OF THE PROPERTY, ITEMS AND SYSTEMS INSPECT
====> This seems to wash the inspectors hands of any responsibility

Answers

2
I've been a home inspector for over 20 years. You have valid questions and I will try to answer them for you.
In your first question, what the contract means is that you can not sell or hand your report over to another party outside of the transaction you are involved in.
Your second question is a standard statement that most or all inspectors have in their contracts. It is there to help the client understand that a home inspection is limited in nature and not an exhaustive inspection of each and every aspect of the home, nor is it a home guarantee or warranty.
If the inspector misses something that falls under the Standards of Practice of the American Association of Home Inspectors, then he or she is responsible for that error. You should familiarize yourself with these standards prior to having the inspection so you will know what is expected of the inspector.
It is important to have an inspector that is a experienced, members of the California Real Estate Inspection Association, has insurance for errors and ommissions and you should have a copy of the insurance policy.
It helps if the inspector is a contractor, and you should be able to recieve a written report plus 2 copies at the completion of inspection. The inspection should be a thorough examination of all readily visible and accessible building components.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 11, 2008