Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

Francis.dolan, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

Is there a regulator controlling realtors and agents in US (specifically Detroit)?

Asked by Francis.dolan, Detroit, MI Mon Oct 21, 2013

I have been the victim of two separate instances of what might constitute fraud but is certainly misrepresentation, negligence or bad practice. I want to complain about the agents involved but don't know how or to whom I should go.

Answers

8
If the act is fraud, you will want to contact the real estate commission. If it is misrepresentation, bad practice or negligence, AND they agent is a member of the National Assoc. of Realtors, they would be the ones to complain to. Sometimes the issue may just be a miscommunication or lack of professionalism. Make sure you use a Realtor and if you are buying, use an Accredited Buyers Rep (ABR). Ask plenty of questions and look for recommendations from past clients. Good luck and hope you get your real estate problems solved quickly.
You can go to http://www.michigan.gov/bcs, from there you can find out to make your complain.
You can file a complaint to Michigan Real Estate Licensing Department. The person must be a licensed real estate Broker or Salesperson. MI.GOV
Hello Francis,

As the other agents have stated, there are are offices to complain too. I deal with many investors all around the world and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't receive 1 - 3 emails asking me for help because of issues similar to yours.

All Realtors that participate on these real estate sites can most likely tell you stories that would make your head spin. Some of the stories that I hear from investors really make me scratch my head and wonder how people fall into their hands, I can't believe some of the things that I hear.

You will have to file a complaint and eventually a hearing will be called at which you may have to participate. A client of mine and myself just participated in one against a broker, which was done via a conference call. If you are serious you will have to follow through and have as much information as possible; emails, documents, phone conversations, who you spoke with, etc.

You can't just throw accusations out without proof, so be prepared.

The "bad" agents give all of the good agents a bad name, but that is how it is in many businesses, unfortunately.

Good Luck and I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.

HAIG
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
Thanks for your reply and I'm sure there are many good agents out there but like everywhere there are undesirables who seem to gravitate towards the property sector. I have loads of correspondence and other evidence which I could produce so I will pursue your suggested path. thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. I do appreciate it.
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Francis,

I'm sorry for your bad experience with the agents that you have worked with. As in all business, there are some great agents, some really bad agents and the most are mediocre. There are several ways that you can complain, the first is to go to the broker (owner) of the agency where these agents worked and complain. The second as Karen pointed out is to the board that the agents are registered and the third is to go directly to the top and contact Lara in Lansing. All agents have to follow all the rules and regulations of LARA or avoid losing their license. Hope this helps. A bad experience such as what you have had gives the rest of us a bad name. Good luck.

Kathy Persha, Associate Broker
GRI, SFR
Keller WIlliams Realty
thanks - that is helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. The fact that you and others did trouble to help proves there are good people out there. Many thanks.
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Francis,

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with an agent. It makes it difficult for us agents that do our business ethically. You'll need to know which Board the agents belonged to. You can file a complaint with them. If you need assistance in finding out this information send me an email and we can discuss this.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Thank you very much. It is kind of you to take the time to help. I bought two properties in Detroit and, to be honest, my experience has been horrendous and i'm at my wits end. One of the properties has already reverted to the county as far as I know for unpaid taxes. The two agents involved are called PropertyOne Management and Premier One Management. I would greatly appreciate an info you can provide.

Many thanks.

Francis Dolan
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
You'll want to go to our Board or Realtors and/or the State of Michigan licensing agency.
I am sorry you had a poor experience -- but if you seek to report these instances, please make sure you have proper documentation of instances are may be willing to pursue legal action to prevent future negligence.

I am not sure which area you're referring to in which the instances occurred, but you can start with some links here:

http://www.realcomp.com/
http://detroitassociationofrealtors.com/
http://www.michigan.gov/lara

If you're ready to start working with an agent who does things ethically and on the up and up, or if you want more information on where to go, please feel free to look me up.

Thanks and good luck!
The best thing you can do is hire a good agent, one who is working on your behalf not all agents are not. Many times buyers buy from the Seller's agent never know the difference. Most of the one stop investors co may not be in the best interest for the investor as many of the contractors involved are in house so you may not be getting the best deal or the best service. You agent should have informed you that the taxes were nearing default when you purchased the property/ The best surprises is no surprise. I would welcome the opportunity of assisting you in matters of real estate.
Respectfully,
Thea Baker
248-990-4745
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
There is a Department of State and local Realtor Board. Do a Google search for them and you'll get the numbers you need.

Chris
LARA -- Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Phone: (517) 241-9288
Licensing Division Email: bcslic@michigan.gov
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
A Board of Realtors have no power over Broker and Salespersons they can only enforce their code of ethics for membership and licensees can practice without belonging to any Board all agents are not REALTORS . Licensees governed ONLY by The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Anyone in the business of real estate, agents and especially investors should have The Michigan Real Estate Law RED BOOK download@ MI.GOV.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
Agents Please Download of Michigan Real Estate law Red Book. The board of Realtors have no power over Broker and Salespersons. They are governed ONLY by The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Which is the only you can file a complaint other than police if a crime has been committed. Article 25 of Public Act 299 of 1980, as amended was created, to license and regulate the practice of real estate brokers and salespersons in Michigan. Article 25 defines a real estate broker as an individual or an entity, who with intent to collect or receive a fee, compensation, or valuable consideration, sells or offers for sale, buys or offers to buy, provides or offers to provide market analyses, lists or offers or attempts to list, or negotiates the purchase or sale or exchange or mortgage of real estate, or negotiates for the construction of a building on real estate; who leases or offers or rents or offers for rent real estate or the improvements on the real estate for others, as a whole or partial vocation; who engages in property management as a whole or partial vocation; who sells or offers for sale, buys or offers to buy, leases or offers to lease, or negotiates the purchase or sale or exchange of a business, business opportunity, or the goodwill of an existing business for others; or who, as owner or otherwise, engages in the sale of real estate as a principal vocation.
A real estate salesperson is defined as an individual who for compensation or valuable consideration is employed either directly or indirectly by a licensed real estate broker to sell or offer to sell, to buy or offer to buy, to provide or offer to provide market analyses, to list or offer or attempt to list, or to negotiate the purchase or sale or exchange or mortgage of real estate, or to negotiate for the construction of a building on real estate, or to lease or offer to lease, rent or offer for rent real estate, who is employed by a real estate broker to engage in property management, or who sells or offers for sale, buys or offers to buy, leases or offers to lease, or negotiates the purchase or sale or exchange of a business, business opportunity, or the goodwill of an existing business for others, as a whole or partial vocation.

Property management is defined as the leasing or renting, or the offering to lease or rent, of real property of others for a fee, commission, compensation, or other valuable consideration pursuant to a property management employment contract.

The department currently oversees the practice of approximately 42,419 real estate salespersons, 9,942 associate real estate brokers, 11,348 real estate brokers, and 716 branch offices.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
These are some of the more popular boards
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
You'll want to contact their board.
Detroit association of Realtors
Greater metropolitan association of realtors
North Oakland county board of realtors
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013