Sam, Home Buyer in Morrisville, NC

Is there a chance of building houses on cemetery. How to know if a cemetery exists there before.?

Asked by Sam, Morrisville, NC Wed Nov 10, 2010

I am planning to buy a house. And now I am in the stage to pick a lot. But how to I know if a cemetery exists there before. I want to make sure this before signing the contract.
Can come one help me to clarify – Is there a chance of building houses on cemetery

Answers

6
Sam,

Definitely not a question I have heard before, I like that. As far as your questions goes, there is always a chance. In most cases information regarding the property can be found on wake.gov website. If you need further help, contact a qualified RE Agent who can assist with that. However, be prepared that even with assistance, you might not find the answer to your question.
That is such an unusual question, what would make you think there was a cemetery in the area?
Hi Sam, looks like you are about to 'pick a lot' in an established neighborhood/subdivision. There are disclosures that the builder should give you BEFORE you sign the contract. Some builders discuss what is in the disclosure document in advance, but some wait until you are 90% done with the contract. As a potential buyer, you can surely ask the builder to give you a copy of the disclosures in advance. The builder should also have a site map showing exactly where an old cemetery (private/family) might have existed. Normally it will be cordoned off and undisturbed and left as a wooded, uncleared or fenced area. Of course, an experienced buyer agent who has worked with buyers in all the neighborhoods can easily tell you which neighborhood has an old cemetery and which does not.
Web Reference: http://www.RealTriangle.com
Many of your Counties and municipalities have a historic group that researches the history of a tract of land to determine if there were / are any burial sites on the property or items or historical value. This is becoming more common, and is a part of the approval process now for lots in any development, at least in North Carolina.

If you are purchasing raw land or a lot by itself, not part of a development, then I would definitely hire an agent to act as your buyer's agent and have them do the research. Any agent involved in land should know where to go and how to find out whether or not there is / was a cemetery on the property.
Hi Sam,

This is an interesting question that I have never had asked by a buyer. There are laws that govern cemeteries, (http://cemeterycensus.com/nc/wake/index.htm) in N. Carolina and typically older cemeteries that are primarily used by a family will be protected by the deed and will not be moved. You can go through the register of deeds website and look at the plats for the land which I have seen reference cemeteries, (http://web.co.wake.nc.us/rdeeds/). You could also discuss this with the builder and/or developer of the subdivision to see if they can give you more insight into the history of the land. That said, there is always a chance that an undocumented grave site could be present any you were to purchase land and you can only be as thorough as human records allow.

Kelly Smith
Sam, there's certainly a chance of building houses on a cemetery, but you can go down to the country courthouse or a large local library and look up the history of the property for yourself.