Home Buying in Tuscaloosa>Question Details

Lela, Home Owner in Alabama

Is there a certain time frame that I have to stay with a certain realtor if I am not happy with the realtor? I have made a couple counter offers

Asked by Lela, Alabama Thu Oct 13, 2011

using the realtor but if I don't agree with the offer and don't buy the house, do I still have to use the same realtor for the next house?

Answers

9
Hi Lela,

First, if you don't agree with the offer, don't sign it! Your Realtor works for you, you don't work for them.

You might want to discuss this 'issue' with your Realtor and if you don't seem to get anywhere with them, then talk to their Broker. If that doesn't seem to make a difference, tell them (Realtor/Broker) to prepare a cancellation of agency (assuming you have signed a contract for them to be your Realtor). Once the cancellation of agency is signed by ALL parties, you can hire a new Realtor. If by some chance you don't have a signed contract for your current Realtor to be your Realtor, you can hire a new one without a cancellation. However, if you have submitted offers with your current Realtor and end up purchasing one of the homes your current Realtor has shown you, you may have to pay them commission if they are the procuring cause for your purchase.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
Are you working with the listing agent on this deal or do you have your own representation thru a buyers agent? Please feel free to call me so I can better understand your situation & give you advice concerning the matter. This will not COST you anything. I've noticed you have had numerous questions & I would be happy to point you in the right direction, Are you are in the Tuscaloosa Market or somewhere else in Alabama?

Heather Speed, REALTOR/Broker/Owner

205-792-0485
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
If you don't like your agent, find another one and let him or her try to come after you--you probably have "cause" for gettting out of any contract you signed. And if you didn't sign a contract then you have every right to move on. I would first call the broker in charge of the office and state that you are terminating the relationship due to the problems you had. I bet you will never hear from that agent again.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
Lela,

Unless you authorized the agent to share your intentions prior to presenting an offer, your private conversations should not have been shared with the seller or their agent.

Additionally, the only thing that "really" counts is what is written and agreet to with signatures in the contract. So, if you haven't signed anything, you can still make things right with your agent by changing the numbers to agree with your thoughts.

God luck,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
If she told the sellers one price and you talked about a different price, then it's her fault!

You did the right thing, not signing the papers that were not YOUR TERMS. It's your offer, the agent is assisting you in completing it.

Honestly, if an agent says one thing and does another, that's cause to find another agent.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
I agree with my colleagues, the realtor works for you. Did you sign a Exclusive Buyers Agent Agreement? This is the agreement that says that you will be exclusive to that Realtor for a specified time frame. If you did not sign that document, you are free to move on to another Realtor.

Even if you decide to use another Realtor, I would suggest that you do talk to the Broker, because this is not the way one conducts business.

As for him making an offer without your written consent, you are not bound by that at all. It is not an offer without your written consent.
Web Reference: http://www.rgarzahomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
If you didn't agree with the terms of the offer, then why did you let your agent submit that offer? Meet with your agent to discuss this, or if you don't think you'd get anywhere with that discussion, then meet with his/her broker.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
Hi Lela, I agree with Heather, Shanna, and Dp2. If you have not been "educated on home buying" so to speak, then you need to get with your Realtor or a Realtor who works for you and not the other way around. In my personal opinion you never make any form of agreement verbally get it in writing it's your word against theirs but if it's in writing or some form of proof of agreement. It will make the one with the right stuff, look real good in the end. Most Real Estate Professionals put it in WRITING, talk with you in the begining about the process of buying a home, all your options, and how the deal may turn out profit or not. Most Realtors work very hard to help their clients and if you don't have representation and they do.....well.......Get with a Realtor who can explain the different roles we can hold in this business, ask questions.........and get answers! Buying a home is a very big and exciting new responsibility get help. Good luck!
I wanted to clear up something...I didn't agree to anything yet. I was verbally told one thing and when I showed up, the price on the paper was different. I haven't signed anything because I don't agree. But if she has told the sellers this price, its no way that I can go back down to what I actually agreed to or is it?