Nasif, Home Buyer in Tacoma, WA

Is the zip code 98409 in Tacoma WA is a relatively safe neighborhood to live and raise a family?

Asked by Nasif, Tacoma, WA Tue Apr 9, 2013

i am considering buying a home in the 98409 neighborhood but before i buy i want to get some opinion
thank you.

Barbara Alfond’s answer
Hi Nasif, I have family members that have lived in the 98409 zip code for well over 40 years now. No one in my family has ever been a victim of crime there. My grandmother raised her youngest two sons there after my grandfather passed away. She lived there until here recently when she moved to assisted living at age 91. Her neighborhood had and has a strong sense of community and she was close with all of her neighbors.

What you should look at within any zipcode is the individual neighborhood you are moving to. Look for a neighborhood where people keep their homes and yards in good condition and have friendly neighbors who look after one another. Also, look at more than the numbers and reports on the schools your children would be attending as they can be deceiving. I suggest you visit the school and meet with an administrator. Also, if you see any parents ask them about the school.

I hope this helps.

Barbara Alfond
Hey there,

I have been living in the 98409 area code for 2.5 years now and have only had a package "stolen"off of my porch as a crime. I suspect the mail man had more to do with it than local hooligans but that was a couple years ago and nothing since.

Since this is an old thread, did you move to this zip code and if so how has your experience been?
I just moved here(April 2013) from the east coast and find Tacoma pretty safe. Everything's relative depending on where you are coming from. More a suburb like not a hustle city like nightlife. There are barely people walking around after dark 5pm November winter. I am near Center and Tyler Streets 98409. Halloween temperature was about 50-60 degrees but there was barely anyone out. It rained all that day and most people in Tacoma go where there going and get inside before dark. Not much by way of evening noise. But there are special moments full moons and such. But that's everywhere, lol. For the most part, people here are nice. Daily I see people walking there dogs, jogging and walking rarely i see too much of a commotion besides occasional traffic back up and construction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
There are a good deal of very good properties for sale in Tacoma right now. Do the research and choose your areas wisely. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to ask. Best of luck. Soon to be a home buyer again.
Flag Sun Nov 24, 2013
Another resource for checking a neighborhood's safety is the Pierce County Sheriff's website. You can view the Crime Statistics around an address or zero in on a map of a neighborhood. But, remember to check the statistics for your current neighborhood so you'll have a basis for comparison.