Karen, Home Buyer in Union City, NJ

Is the vicinity of 212 Christian St a nice/safe area? Are there many young professionals and/or family-oriented? How is it as an investment area?

Asked by Karen, Union City, NJ Fri Mar 19, 2010

Answers

5
Anna M Brocco’s answer
Do some of your own homework first--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging, chat with neighbors/locals if the opportunity arises. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached. Keep in mind that opinions are often suggestive and what's good for one may not necessarily be the case for another.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 20, 2010
Hi Karen! In my opinion, I think the vicinity of 2nd and Christian is a great place to live. In fact, I have a few clients who live around there and absolutely love it. I would like to give you the same advice that I give all my clients. Take some time to drive or walk around the neighborhood and if you get the opportunity, talk to some neighbors. Most people will get a sense if a neighborhood is right for them. Researching online is helpful as well--check out the Philly Blogs that are written by the residents themselves. Good luck!
Queens Village is a nice/safe area. It is both young professionals and family-oriented. It is a popular area with a real sense of community. There are some historic houses mixed in with the brand new and conversions of large indusrial buildings. It is a pleasant area with lots of neighborhood involvement in issues specific to the neighborhood. I lived there over 10 years ago and found it to be convenient. I could walk most places.
As a resident, I think this is a great area to live. There are both young professionals and families in this area. It is convenient to Center City, South Street and the big box shops on Delaware Avenue. The address you listed is right near a community garden, coffee shop, deli, dry cleaners and a salon, and that is just on that intersection.
Karen,

May I suggest you google the subdivision names and see what pops up.

Type in the phrase:
1) "What's up with Queen Village",
2) "What's up with Pennsport"

Also so check out the Queen Village Neighborhood Association and the Pennsport Civic Association website:
1) http://www.qvna.org/
2) http://www.pennsportcivic.org/

A neighborhood is only as good as it's neighbors. There are a lot of great neighborhoods in Philadelphia!

blog.TheSomersTeam.com also has the inside scoop on other neighborhoods.