Kurt, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Is the master bedroom down the preferred layout in Dallas on a 2 story home?

Asked by Kurt, Chicago, IL Tue Jun 2, 2009

I was told that is the preferred layout in homes in the metroplex area? I was also told that if I bought one that wasn't it could effect the resale value down the road?

Answers

10
The master up is not the ideal but in an area such as "great schools" the impact is less. You should be able to negotiate a less per square foot price than a master down home. Have your agent pull both master up and down in the subdivision to compare the value and days to sell. Call with questions :))

Kind Regards,

Charles Nuber
Mobile 214-284-7136

Check out my website - free searches with MLS tools - no obligation!
Kurt, this is an agent bias based on years and years of buyers advising us that they don't want master upstairs. Perception became reality. Overwhelmingly, when I list a home with master up, no matter how lovely, spacious, laid out, or the amenities inside and out, it gets bashed for master up.

There are buyers who prefer master up. But, you'll wade through a lot of buyers who don't trying to find the ones who do value it.

Ronda Allen, Realtor
C.P.M., SFR, TAHS
CEO of comingsoonhomes.com since 2005
RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs
There are benefits to both an upstairs Master and a downstairs one. It could be argued that because of our weather a Master downstairs will naturally be cooler than one that is up. I do however have a lot of friends with small children that like being on the same level as their children.
When a buyer starts looking for a property to purchase they start with a logical list of things they want in a home. This list could be 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3 car garage, Master down, no pool. While they start out with a logical list of wants when they see a home they "fall in love with" they buy with emotion. Many times one or two of the "must haves" is missing when they purchase but they have made an emotional connection to the house they end up buying that is more important than their "list". Buyers begin their search based on logic but buy based on emotion.
I have a home with a master bedroom that is upstairs. It has a separate staircase from the children's to some degree. I did not start out wanting my Master up. I fell in love though with the floorplan, the fireplace, the sunroom, the huge yard, the architecture, the big front porch....
I tell you this to tell you that buying a home is not simply a logical decision....if the emotional draw of the house is right the Master bedroom might be anywhere and the house would sell. Staging a house properly helps develop this emotional connection.
Hey Kurt, my name is Curt also, I was following up with you to see if you've made your move or not. Also to answer your question regarding Master BR down. My strong recommendation is Yes, keep the master bedroom down on the 1st floor. You will definitely attract more potential buyers. The stats show that similar sized homes in the same neighborhoods, the 1st floor Master are selling faster and for more. I ran a test on the local MLS(ntreis) and confirmed it. It's mainly due to the aging population not wanting to make the trip upstairs, as well as here in Texas, it gets kinda hot and upstairs are usually the hottest rooms in the Summer time and takes more to cool them. Other factors are that some owners with teenagers want to be a different floor, however younger families are sometimes the complete opposite. It really should come down to what do you want. Let me know if I can help you. I am also a relocation specialist with Century 21 Judge Fite.
Web Reference: http://www.casac21.com
Yes most of my clients prefer the master down in Texas. I worked for a very large home builder in Texas for 10 years and I built a master up once, even thought we had the plans available.
I had a community where a home that was built for a client with a master up didn't close, it took us an additional 10 months to sell it after reducing the home several times, the client that bought this home was from out of state where they were use to masters up. I do feel that they take a little longer to sell, and may have a little of a price difference.
I think that you are right in your questioning of the master bedroom down vs upstairs. Most buyers in Texas do prefer the master bedroom down and I have not seen any stats on the value of a home with the master bedroom up that is identical to another home that has the master bedroom downstairs but we agents here in my RE/MAX DFW Associates office have talked about it from time to time and feel that there is a slight price difference between upstairs and downstairs.
With that being said, just be sure to buy correctly and then you can sell correctly too, when the time comes to sell your home.
Absolutely - YES. As we age we don't like stairs.
Kurt,

I used to sell new homes for a builder. We had 17 floor plans and 2 of them had masters up. The majority of TEXANS want their master down, but Northerners and Midwestern folks like it on the 2nd floor. They are used to that because heat rises and it's a good way to keep warm in the winter months for less cost. Most builders here build for the Texas climate. It's what people are used to here. Also as the population starts to get older, it's more convenient and easier on the knees and such to have the master down.

However, I would not advise a client not to get their preference simply for resale value (unless you were talking about 3 bedrooms and 1 bath or something that's going to cause you to realize depreciation). You are going to live in the home and every home has it's buyer. We have far greater in migration in the D/FW area than we have out migration. If you find a 2 story you love with the master up, someone else is going to love it just like you.

In the first community I sold in, our model was a 2 story with master up. The majority of the 2 stories I sold in that subdivision were that floor plan. I closed that community out and moved down the road appx. 1 mile. In that community, the model was a 2 story with the master down. The majority of 2 stories sold were that plan and all kinds of people saying that they couldn't imagine someone buying a 2 story with master up in that area. ;)

Hope that helps,
Terri Hayley
The Hayley Group, Keller Williams
Top 5% of Realtors
GREAT QUESTION;

75% of my buyers prefer master down, due to number of reasons, 10% don't care, 15% prefer upstairs.

There are great builders here in Dallas who have completed survey's prior to construction use their expert experience go with the norm, if were more of demand master 2nd level where majority of bedrooms would be located.

Direct link searching for homes:
http://sites.google.com/site/dallasbankforeclosureslistings

CONTACT OUR OFFICE TODAY
972-699-9111
Lynn A. Crosby ~ National Featured Realtor
"...Specializing in Residential, Commercial Properties and Loans..."
Dallas Realtor, and Credit Repair Consultant -
The Michael Group - "Dallas Business Journal 07’ & 08' list top realtors"
Dallas Loan Officer -
Dallas Real Estate Office: (972) 699-9111
Dallas Real Estate Website: http://www.lynn911.com 60,000 listings Dallas homes for sale
Hello Kurt,

The first level master bedroom is common construction in the DFW area. There are plenty with other arrangements. Personally I prefer all bedrooms on the second floor. But then that is my Yankee upbringing (Chuckle). I'm not a RE Agent but I would not consider it a resale problem not to have the master bed on the first floor. The DFW area is a wide mix of people from around the country who have seen a different variety of floor plans.

It would definitely be interesting to hear what the local RE Agents say.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
http://www.psinspection.com
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Infrared Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
Web Reference: http://www.psinspection.com