Home Buying in James Island>Question Details

Romeoatbay, Home Buyer in Stroudsburg, PA

Is the foundation of this house above flood elevation?

Asked by Romeoatbay, Stroudsburg, PA Thu Sep 26, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Are you trying to determine if your house is in a flood hazard area?

The map associated with your property may be found using the Map Search feature. Note that when viewing the flood map containing your property, the location of your address will not be pinpointed on the flood map. If you require assistance with this tool, please contact the MSC Customer Service Department at (877) 336-2627.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
I am the property owner of this house. We did major renovation after buying it and raised the interior floor level, thus decreasing the cost of the flood insurance. We also raised the level of the backyard by adding dirt. We have the flood elevation certificate and are in an AE flood zone. Any mortgage will require flood insurance on any property in a flood zone. If there is not a mortgage, than flood insurance is an option. However, it is a wise decision when living in the Low Country and near water.

In 13 years of ownership, there has not been any flooding in our yard or near this home and we are on a tidal creek with 6 ft. at high tide..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
If you are working with a realtor, they should be able to find this out for you. You could also speak to an insurance agent. A survey could also tell you this but you wouldn't want to get a survey done unless you are under contract.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
An insurance agent should be able to tell you more about whether there’s an available flood elevation certificate and also give you estimates for yearly costs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 26, 2013
Hello....not sure I know what house you are referring to as I don't see an address, but you are smart to ask about flood elevations as all the rules are changing as we speak. Oct 1 st brings many flood insurance changes/increases to our area and an elevation certificate is mandatory. If the home you are looking at was built prior to 1975 chances are one does not exist and will have to be done. If you need flood zone info, check out my blog for that topic at http://www.HavensCharlestonRealEstate.com

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 26, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer