Home Buying in Norwalk>Question Details

ezrideolg, Home Buyer in Norwalk, CT

Is the area near FLAX HILL PARK in South Norwalk safe?

Asked by ezrideolg, Norwalk, CT Sun Feb 17, 2013

Looking at Hillside Pl, Taylor Avenue, Couch Street

Answers

7
Joe Balestriere’s answer
Good evening ezrideolg,

Mark hit that one on the head.

Another reason why asking a Realtor about their opinion on neighborhoods, is that that is a subjective criteria when searching. My perception of the schools and area is relative to my background and experiences. If I grew up in an area with an extreme crime rate, I might think any area is 'safe'. Doing your due diligence here will save you a headache later.

-Joe Balestriere
William Raveis Norwalk
203-216-0679
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
No. I would not consider this area safe... as most of Norwalk has had a rise in unsolved crimes over the past few years. Save yourself time and look to Fairfield. Home prices are comparable and you will find better deals. The community of Fairfield is much nicer than Norwalk. Norwalk has become over run with low lifes that the police cannot seem to control.
I am a life long Norwalker so I giving you first hand knowledge.
If I wasn't locked into a mortgage and declining home values I would run as fast as I could somewhere else.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Thank you Mr. Local for the honest opinion. I wanted to hear from someone like you, a local resident. Real estate agents are not allowed to give me their opinion. Thanks a lot.
Flag Mon Feb 18, 2013
Hi Ezrideolg,
Mark couldn't have said it any better. By law, we should not "steer" our clients to or away from any neighborhood. With all the information that is accessable throught the internet, you will be able to get a good idea of the areas that have higher crime rates than others. The Norwalk Police Dept. would prove to very valuable information tool. You just need to spend a little time researching. Although some areas are better than others, no areas are exempt from crime.

I can also tell you that I currently have a land listing on that street and have met quite a few of the neighbors, some of which have been living there for many years. Each time I've been over there, either showing the lot or meeting with a modular company to discuss plans, neighbors have been around and more than friendly. I'm sure they would be willing to talk to you as well.

Good luck with your search and no matter where you are considering, do your homework!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Hi Ezrideolg,
The first thing you should know is that by law real estate agents are not allowed to discuss what areas are "safe" and what areas may not be considered "safe." This is to prevent discrimination. The best thing to do is check out City of Norwalk Police Dept. records for crime in each neighborhood. You can also spend some time in any neighborhood and speak with homeowners. Real esate agents are your resource to assist in seeing all homes on the market, determining which homes are priced correctly or overpriced and assisting in securing top home inspectors, attorneys, mortgage brokers and other professionals to help with your purchase. Any real estate agent that offers opinions about which neighborhoods are "safe" is violating the Fair Housing Act. Best, Mark
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
I have lived on Flax Hill for 9 years and never had an incident or felt unsafe. I wouldn't leave my door unlocked or walk around by myself at night but that's just common sense.
Fair Housing Act, Fair Shmousing Act. The Government is going to tell us what we can and can't discuss now? And since when does crime in an area have *anything* to do with discrimination???
Of course this guy can go down and request police statistics or pore over crime logs but who wants to do that? He wanted to save the time and headache and wanted a simple answer in laymen's terms and Mr. Local, below, gave him just that.
Of course, with this kind of question, if you have to ask, the answer is no.
I would check with the local police station to give you crime statistics in the area.