anti_suttee, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Is termite inspection necessary?

Asked by anti_suttee, Austin, TX Sat Apr 27, 2013

We found a cute home, about 10 years old, in 78748 area.

When we made a tour to the property, we couldn't make out any termite damage, being generally enamored with its great layout and well-maintained look.

General home inspection scheduled in the upcoming week. Haven't scheduled for termite one yet.

I would like to get advice from experts in real estate business with regard to termite inspection. Is it necessary to order termite inspection?

Answers

15
You should definitely have a termite inspection performed on any re-sale home you are purchasing in Texas. They are usually less than $100 and can be performed in conjunction with the general home inspection. If your home inspector is not a licensed termite inspector he can probably schedule one to come at the same time. If termites or conducive conditions are found or if termite damage is found then your agent should negotiate on your behalf for treatment or remedying the conducive conditions or having the damage repaired or monetary compensation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
I think it wouldn't hurt to have it done. You would rather be safe than sorry and find you have a termite problem later. If I were you, I would really consider having one done before you move into the area. It couldn't hurt! http://www.thepestguys.com.au/termites-perth.aspx
Flag Tue Sep 16, 2014
Yes, it is. For 2 reasons:

1. You want to protect your investment. We can look at a home "skin deep" but the termite inspector is specialized in this field and may discover more than what you can tolerate in a home in terms of termite

2. Lender requirement

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
It is not necessary by lending standards, it always a judgment call on whether you want it done or not. Better safe than sorry if you are worried it could be an issue.

For mortgage help, call (855) 893-1177 or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states and you can apply online at http://www.myccmortgagebn.com. We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 893-1177.

Brad Neumann
Branch Manager
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Phone: (855) 893-1177
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
If the realtors don't put the termite report requirement in the contract then the lender will not ask for a termite report. I do recommend you get the termite inspection though.

If there is termite damage to be repaired then reduce the sales price by the damage amount or increase the seller credit.
It's surprisingly not required by conventional lenders anymore. Money well spent though! I would at the very least make sure you leave enough time in your option period to still have a termite inspector come out if the general inspection turns up any areas of concern.
Depends on your loan. If you are going conventional it's not required. I have my inspector look and see if sees bugs and if so I have him go ahead and do the termite to enhance our negotiation position. As others have said the inspection is cheap.

Congratulations on finding a home. 10 years old I suspect your inspection will reveal settlement cracking (normal) and mechanicals that will need replacement in the next 5-10 years. (AC, hot water heater and so on)
It is not necessary but some banks do require that you have one completed. This is for your protection and if termites are found it is not uncommon for the seller to treat the problem if you ask. Spending $75 to save $700 makes more sense for you and your family.
Many times whoever does your home inspection will notice termite damage and recommend that it be investigated further. Also, many home inspectors also do home inspection, so that is something you may ask. Also, many lenders require a termite inspection.

Bottom line, the cost of a termite inspection is minimal, the cost of purchasing a home with termites because you didn't do your due diligence can be catastrophic. Better to just cover yourself.

Josh Daniels, Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/REO
RUSSELL CAIN REAL ESTATE
2025 N HWY 35
PORT LAVACA, TX 77979
361-920-0295
JOSH@RUSSELLCAIN.COM
I always recommend doing a thorough inspection on the home. In most cases the lender will require a termite inspection, so if you are financing the home check with your lender.

Also, if there IS termite damage, this is a cost you would want your Realtor to negotiate that the seller repairs before you move forward with the purchase.

How is your home search coming along? I can be reached at 512-828-9867 or stuart@beyondrealtytx.com
Failure to do a termite inspection could be costly down the road if you miss an infestation. Unless you are paying cash this is something a lender will request.
Whenever anyone makes such a large investment, you should do your research.... Its a very cheap insurance policy to have this done.... My advice is to have one.... These critters can do so much damage and you would never know it
Before I was a Realtor I completely undervalued the importance of home inspectors, much less termite inspections. One simple way to think about it is that inspections are a super low price to pay for peace of mind. I am considering getting my personal home inspected, not because I am about to sell, but because I have lived here 7 years and want to make sure I don't have damage going on, of which I am not even aware.

By the way, if I were a home inspector I would advertise a rate for this type of inspection because it could fill in on any non-busy days (as if Austin inspectors have non-busy days!) because there wouldn't be an option period with which you have to contend. Yes, I know that wasn't the question but I so enjoy thinking of ideas for people to grow their businesses! I am a natural problem solver which is a useful aptitude in Real Estate! :)
I would recommend it. In our area we have several pest control companies that will do a wood destroying organism inspection for free. Check with your Realtor to see if they can recommend someone. Most lenders will require it if you are obtaining a loan.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Tim is correct on all points plus you will need to check in with your lender to see if they will require a termite inspection as a condition of the loan -- many do. Good luck!
Unless you are a trained termite inspector average Joe Blow will not be able to see the tubes signaling termite intrusion. Once you see the damage the termites have been there a LONG LONG time and you could have stopped them years earlier. Yes, a termite inspection is CRITICAL and Texas makes it even more critical.