Question Details

Nicole, Both Buyer and Seller in Illinois

Is 1450 square feet a nice size home? Can I offer less to a new developer?

Asked by Nicole, Illinois Wed Mar 4, 2009

The homes have yet to be built. I now live in a 1900 sq. ft. home and I can't picture 1400. They have affordable houses for $235,000 but 1400 sq. ft. The regular homes are starting at 289,000 but they have 1800 sq. ft. or more. Once they are ready I will go and see but is that a comfortable size? I don't know if it is worth stretching to get the 1800 sq. ft. in this market. Also, can I offer them less or do I have to stick with their asking price?

Answers

2
It's harder to get them to come down on price if the home is being built for you. If the builder already has inventory, then it's easier to negotiate. I live in a 1040 SF condo, 2 bed 2 bath... but i'm single and just have a dog. So depending on what your living arrangments are, 1400 can be small or it can be just right. But downsizing is always a hard thing to do in my opinion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 4, 2009
I agree with Plano that it's easier to negotiate once the homes are built and the builder wants them to go. As far as which square footage would be right. I've lived in a 1,350 sq ft, a 3,000 sq ft, and now a 1,900 sq ft house. Each of them can be comfortable, though I'd say 1,900 is the most comfortable to me. It depends on what you can qualify for in a mortgage, of course. If there are deals to be made, I'd go with the bigger of the two. If there comes a time when you would like to sell your home, the larger home will be more attractive to buyers, and not considered one of the "affordable" models in the development. Also, builders tend to put some nice little touches in the bigger homes.