Barbara Sand…, Home Seller in 18324

Is purchasing a home near the tall electric towers a definitie no no and how does it affect resale value?

Asked by Barbara Sandberg, 18324 Mon Nov 23, 2009

Answers

8
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
Barbara............you should be able to buy a home located near high tension wires for less than a similar home several blocks away......you need to remember that when you go to sell, as you will be selling it for less then, too. But, all things are relative. You certainly will be able to buy more home for the money. The choice is up to you.

Please don't be frightened away by 1 person's opinion or heresay. You can do your own due dilligence on the internet.Call the local electric company.

My town has a number of neighborhoods (and even an elementary school )located near the wires. When the concerns first came to light over 15+ years ago, the town called in a lot of experts, and there were a lot of open town meetings and discussions........all the information was made available in the library. The elementary school, which had been temporarily closed pending the scientists' evaluations, was reopened. It is thought by many that there is no more exposure to harmful "rays" from these wires than from the microwave in your home or the electrical appliances we use on a daily basis. The general concensus was that there was no danger.

. Of course, these type of issues are affected by perception, too.........I have had clients say they don't fear the wires as far as health is concerned, but they do worry about resale, and the fact that the wires are just unsightly..

It's up to you..............these homes do sell (at least in my area they do, as they are quite common), but they do sell for a lot less. There are buyers who won't even look at a home near the wires, so you need to be aware of that.

By the way, here an owner can call in the power company, and they will do readings to show what the power levels are in thw home coming from the wires. Often, the readings are rather low.

So, my response is....it's not a definite no-no.....it's a decision you can make once you do a little studying and due dilligence.

Best wishes
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
I wouldn't say it's a definite "no, no", but I feel it is personal preference. If you are concerned about high tension wires, I would do some research. If it's a home that you really love and can afford, that's something to take into consideration, too. No one knows what the market values will be years from now. For example, if you are selling a home near high tension wires and the home is one of VERY FEW for sale in the area, that is going to affect the price of your home. (Supply & Demand) There are many factors that going into a home's value.
Hi Barbara I live in the 11778 zip code, I have to say most of the property located on the East side of town near the towers has factors that play into resale value more than the high tension lines themselves. 1 is the busy road 2nd being smaller lot sizes 3rd smaller homes. These homes sell for slightly under their neighbors on the cross roads due to these factors. The homes on the west side of town by the high tension wires have larger more private lots and bigger homes on them thus they sell slightly higher than surrounding homes. I would not say that the wires directly affect the sales price of the home, they may limit buyers "those who are paranoid away" at the same time the lack of a neighbor behind your home will attract those seeking privacy. It is a unique balance. I have my personal opinions but I'll keep them to myself. If you need help buying or selling in that area I would be more than happy to assist you in anyway I can. Feel free to contact me anytime simply by clicking by my name/face where it say contact, look forward to hearing from you soon :)
it might be hard to get financing, I just tried to buy a house in the "fall zone" of a water tower, and no lenders wanted to touch it.
There have been stories of people getting cancer from those thar poles. Some say they can feel the electricity coming from them. You have risk of fire, you have what many would call ugly scenery. You have people scared of the poles. Some people go to look at a house. See it next to electric lines, railroad, cell phone tower, or the town dump and just walk away. Some people see the problem and just turn around in the driveway never exiting the car.

Is it a no-no. WELL, it depends. If you do not care and want to leave that house only for your own funeral service I guess it is fine. If you ever want to sell it it is a serious problem. You will also possibly find that your electrical appliances have shorter lives. Others have made that claim. One person said that they had seen sparks come off cell-phone towers onto their pickup truck. High power electricity is not the best neighbor you could ask for.
They should be significantly cheaper than houses with no tall electric towers nearby. Cheaper to buy, and they will sell for less at resale.
I would not say it is a "no no". A buyer may find other aspects of a property are more appealing to them and are therefore willing to accept such area features. Much the same as close proximity to, or adjacent to, other forms of external obsolescence such as railroads, freeways, flight paths, major busy surface streets, dairy farms, shopping centers, landfills, etc..

The market dictates what affect such market area features have on the resale value of real estate. Analysis of market trends and the principle of externalities (which states that influences outside a property may have a positive or negative effect on the value) generally indicate such externalities, or external obsolescences (defined as: a feature made undesirable because of conditions outside the property which the owner of the property has no control over), are less desirable and therefore properties closer in proximity generally will command a lower selling price then similar properties farther away.

Electric towers have an area around them called the "fall zone". Which is the distance in which the power lines and/or tower will land in the event of a fall or collapse. Being within the "fall zone" and/or close to the "fall zone" is a major factor for a lesser appraised value. It may also result in higher insurance premiums and/or higher interest rates or lower loan amounts from a lender.
When a tower or the lines hit a house the power company picks up the tab. I have seen this first hand when several towers fell because of a tornado. One tower landed on a house and the arms penetrated the roof. The roof was covered in wire. The tower was a 345 kv tower that had a structural defect. The Claims Department took care of the damage. I was a structural engineer at the power company at the time. The big problem is not the house it is surviving and not being killed by the high voltage. Luckily the line tripped out before the wires contacted the house and there was no fire and all were safe.
Flag Mon May 12, 2014
There was a house in our area - great location - a classic colonial - several acres of preservation land backing up onto the back yard - but right near the power lines. It took well over a year to sell - and ended up being sold vacant - and at a severe discount price.

Here's a quote from an article about this:

"You may not care about the resale value of your home because you plan to live there forever, but be aware of the potential financial risk you are taking. If you ever find yourself in a position where you have to sell your home quickly, it may be harder to sell if it's located next to high-voltage power lines, which means you will probably have to price it low and possibly take a loss on the sale.

If possible, you should avoid putting yourself in that position. But if the only home you can afford is located next to power lines, and it meets all of your other home buying criteria, go ahead and buy it with the knowledge that you will also have to make it affordable when you sell it."

There's not proof about any danger of being in proximity of power lines - but there is a PERCEIVED health hazard that's enough to greatly reduce the value of the property and the length of time on market.