Home Buying in Cleveland>Question Details

Salahglobal%…, Home Buyer in 44140

Is our realtor doing his job?

Asked by Salahglobal%40hotmail.com, 44140 Sun Sep 2, 2012

We are first time home buyers, so we do not have much experience in home buying but from reading and asking others. We retained a buyer only realtor to help us with our new house purchase. I was sold on the fact we should have a buyer only realtor from the media and literature. I am finding that we are doing all the work with terrible results for the last 5 weeks:
1) The realtor relies on his electronic client MLS listing for us to approach him with a house that we want to see and most of the houses we saw we got from other WebPages like Trulia and Realtor.com not from his listing. To this date he has NEVER approached us with a house that we should visit!!
2) By the time we see the house that we really want and many times before we even see it the house is pending sale!! We only end up looking at third rated houses!!
3) The only time we were able to make an offer on a house we ended up with having to raise our offer so much that it did not make sense

Answers

8
Seriously, Robert?
Nothing like spam.........and rude spam to boot!
If you're a Realtor, there's something called the Code of Ethics that prohibits us from denigrating other Realtors.........you might want to reread it.

To the poster - As a first time buyer, I can understand your frustration with what has occurred.
So.........from what I have read, I do think it's time to move on and interview new agents.
It seems like you have given this agent every opportunity to step up to the plate....and it's just not working out.

Do you know anyone who bought a home recently and was happy with the agent they used?
Personal referrals are always a good place to start.

In lieu of that...why not stop by a larger local RE office, and ask to speak with the Broker/manager. Explain what has happened to you, and ask the Manager if they can introduce you to someone in their office they think will be a good fit, and who won't let you down when it comes to keeping you informed and up to date on the market.
Ask to interview several agents if you want.

You seem like motivated buyers...and as "first timers", you do need someone to guide you through the process from start to finish..and you're certainly entitled to that.

Good luck, and I hope the next one is the charm!!

All the best!
I would like to thank all of you who took the time to answer my question. A week ago we lost a great house because our realtor did not take our "make an offer" explicit request seriously as the house has been on the market for two months, he waited three days until some one else put in their offer. We had a heart to heart conversation that we expect him to act promptly and told us that he understands and that he will act accordingly. Yesterday, another great house went pending in three days, we requested to see the house a couple of days ago, but the realtor is on vacation and responded to my request that he will have the time to show us the house in a couple of days! Too Late!! Our choice is now reduced to second tear houses.

Your feedback confirms that my realtor is taking a backseat approach to our house search and most probably has bigger fish to fry in his portfolio. I will take your advice to wait until after Labor Day to get better inventory and to have final conversation with the realtor or the next step is to find another person who will be more proactive.

Buy the way, this is a small office with one broker (the one I am dealing with) and an assistant.
First I don1t think it matters what type of agent you use, any agent you pick works for you. They should want to know your wants and needs and what you are willing to compromise with. I personally ask at each home I show what you like and dislike. Your Realtor should be presenting you with homes, and setting up showing asap for you to see them. If you are not satisfied you do have the choice to find a Realtor that will do their job. I can refer an agent in your area if you wish. Good luck. My number is 330-612-2493 if you want a referral.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
First of all, I agree with your decision to go with a buyer's agent.

However . . .

In general, in a buying situation, the Realtor should be proactive. And, specifically to address the issue you raised in #1, he should be presenting you with homes you might want to visit.

Because there's a lag time between a home being listed on the MLS and the time it takes to appear on other websites (and even more time if you're the one searching for them), it's unfortunate or understandable that those houses are already under contract by the time you get to them. Whether you continue with your current Realtor or decide to search for a new one, here's a tip: Your Realtor can set up an automated search on the MLS. He plugs in whatever items are important to you (location, price, number of bedrooms or baths, age of property, lot size, whether it has a basement, etc.) and then you're automatically notified via e-mail the instant a house matching those criteria appears on the MLS. You don't have to search, and neither does he.

Now, really, he should be searching beyond those parameters. And there's nothing wrong with you doing the same. But, at a bare minimum, you can have a search set up to immediately let you know of any homes meeting your criteria.

So: What do you do now? As a Realtor, the Code of Ethics doesn't permit me to criticize other Realtors. And, honestly, your agent probably has a different perspective on the issue. Still, you should have a heart-to-heart talk with the agent. Explain your concerns. Explain what you want. See what his response is. If it's not what you want, then you might decide to look for someone who can better meet those needs.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
As a realtor representing both sellers and buyers I consistently search the MLS, attend broker's opens, visit open houses, even preview homes so I can alert my buyers to a particular home that may be of genuine interest to them and help keep my sellers well informed of their competition. In this market being able to act quickly is critical
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Your Real Estate Agent works for you. So if he is not doing the job that you expect him to do, I would have a conversation about your expectations and concerns. You can also try and speak to your agents Broker or office manager if that does not brng the results that you’d like to see. If unhappy with his results I would interview 2-3 agents and make clear your expectations and concerns and I believe you should find them very willing and able to help you.
Best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
If you have expressed these concerns with your agent and he or she has not changed or assisted you then....uou need to get another agent...I am sorry on behalf of all Realtors or Licensed Real Estate Agents.

A purchase of a home is one of the greatest single investments you will ever make in your life and you must have a compassionate Realtor that treats you like you are his/her only client.

You should be represented by a buyers agent for your protection who is an expert in the business with a proven sales history and client testimonials. Your buyers agent should be informing you of the days on the market, should have a good idea of what you are looking for and should not be taking you to homes that are already under contract.

If you have signed a buyer agency representation form/contract you need to call his/her Broker in Charge and report this Agent. Also, if you have the choice, you might want to consider choosing a Realtor rather then a Licensed Sales Agent....depending on your scenario.

Truia is a good resource. Also the National Association of Realtors should be a good resource for you to start your new Realtor search.

Hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
#2 and #3 are timing issues and perhaps the fact you are making offers too low and hoping to steal something in a warm or hot market. Those might not be the Realtors fault. In 5 weeks the Realtor has not brought up one home to show you, that sounds weird. As I show homes I get to know what someone is looking for, but some people are all harder to read than others. I had one couple that just liked everything and anything was ok with them so if I brought up 100 homes they wanted to see them all. That can get overwhelming. You guys might be too much the opposite, I am not sure.

You can always have a heart to heart or ask for another agent in the office to work with you. How experienced is your agent? Experience is the #1 in my book and without it you have a learning in progress agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012