Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Ashley, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Is my sister responsible for paying mortgage due on July 1 if she just moved out?

Asked by Ashley, Orlando, FL Fri Jun 28, 2013

My sister and I bought a house together in 2009. She has decided to move out and rent another house. Does she still owe me for the mortgage payment due on July 1, or is mortgage billed in advance? Not sure how to word it. Is the mortgage payment due on July 1 for July or June? I know with rent, you generally have to pay first and last up front so therefore you have no final rent payment. Thanks!

Answers

7
The July 1st payment is for June. As to whether or not she owes you, that's between the two of you.
Depends on the terms. If she was a signatory on the mortgage note/loan then both of you are jointly responsible for its repayment and she is still indebted to the bank whether she stays or goes.
If she is not on the note then the rental agreement is between both of you and whether she owes for July or not depends on what was agreed. Hopefully you can resolve this before it leads to conflict..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 29, 2013
Only taxes are paid in arrears.
Hi Ashley,

I hope her moving out doesn’t cause you a hardship. If you’re considering selling, please feel free to contact me directly carlrealtycenter@aol.com or by phone 407-832-4650.

I’ll be glad to help you.

Carl Head
Realty Center-Orlando
If your sister is on the note (loan) then both of you are responsible. The mortgage payment are paid after the fact. The payment that is due on the first is for the use of the money during the past month. Rent is paid in advance.

VP
That is incorrent with the rent payment I always collect first and security deposit --- NEVER to be used as last months rent because I need money to cover the cost of damage. I would be happy to re-rent the property and manage it for you. JulieRents@aol.com
Is your sister on the mortgage?
Yes. She has not been removed from the title or anything, just moved out.
Flag Fri Jun 28, 2013