Home Buying in Poughkeepsie>Question Details

metsgirl3, Home Buyer in Lawrenceville, GA

Is living in upstate NY even possible for me?

Asked by metsgirl3, Lawrenceville, GA Mon Dec 30, 2013

I am a bord & raised Queens native that moved to Atlanta 9 years ago. I'm looking to come back closer to home this summer but I know the city is out of my price range. How can I tell how much house I can afford in upstate NY or if its even a option for me. are there any areas with lower property tax that I should consider?

Answers

6
My family and I have lived in upstate NY for over 45 + years we recently sold our 1800 sq ft 4br 11/2 b2 car garage cetral new every thing for 84k the home we purchased was 105k still in area we put another 50k in home as we found out things afterwards. the school taxes out this was range from 900-1900 per years town and county were 1600 and the village tax was 900+ this does not inc side walk maintence or other things.i wish the very best If looking for realator we used Peter Denney reality USA of Chittnango NY we will have this home on market soon and our other is on the market in beach area
Many of the present residents of Dutchess County came from NYC, so I think you could certainly make Upstate NY home. You need to figure out your needs. Will you be commuting to the city? this will help you decide on location. Are you going to work from home and would like wide open space?
You mentioned taxes what do you consider low taxes?

A consultation with a Real Estate agents could be a valuable step.
Web Reference: http://www.jfivehomes.com
I'm a Software Engineer that commutes to the city every day from Poughkeepsie. There are many people who do it every single day. I'm sure getting sick of it though. The shortest trip duration is 90 minutes, but there are, more often than not, delays. Realistically you're going to average about 105 - 120 minutes.

Also, people often forget to include the cost of the train from Poughkeepsie. A monthly ticket costs approximately 480 dollars, but if you add in your metro card fees for the subway add in another 100 dollars. Let's round up to an approximate cost of $600/month. That's a lot.

Other metro north lines such as harlem and new haven lines are actually far cheaper. The reason for this is that the hudson line is still running diesel whereas the other two mentioned are running electric trains. It's a huge difference in cost. Comparing Poughkeepsie to a town I'm looking at (South Norwalk, CT) is only $330/month + $100/month =~ $450/month. Still a lot but a 25% savings for about the same distance. Also, CT provides superior discounts if you have recurring payments.

I'm no expert on housing, etc. but I am a commuter and I know the toll the train takes on you. Just something to keep in mind.
Dutchess County affords an enjoyable lifestyle in a beautiful area, with lower taxes than most other areas in proximity to the city. We are still just over an hour away from Manhattan. If you would like to find out how much house you can afford, the first step is to get pre-qualified by a bank for your mortgage. Then it will be much easier to know exactly in what price range you should be looking. I would be happy to recommend 3-5 names to you, if you would like to start the process. Check out my website at http://www.lisajeanneret.com.
looking to move from madison county and oneida county ny to georgia due to taxes being so high Right now buyers market but after looking at expenses no longer can afford it and we own 2 homes best of luck
Retired nurse
Hi Metsgirl3,
I was born and raised in Brooklyn and am now living in Dutchess County. It is considerably less expensive here than back in the city. However, there is easy access to the city (and CitiField) via the Metro North commuter train. The best bet is to first contact a mortgage professional to see how much you can borrow for a mortgage. Once you know that, I could let you know how realistic it would be for you to live here. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thanks and good luck!
Gregory D. Schreiber
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Schreiber Realty Group, LLC
320 Hudson Avenue
Beacon, NY 12508
845-440-6255
greg@gregschreiber.com