Nmdoc, Home Owner in Colorado Springs, CO

Is it worth applying for a variance for a bedroom window well on a basement refinish to get from a 4 bdrm to 5 bdrm? Is that a higher market?

Asked by Nmdoc, Colorado Springs, CO Fri Jul 12, 2013

I am currently refinishing the basement and will add 2 bedrooms. One bedroom already has an egress - the other bdrm only has a 30" depth window well so I am planning on applying for a variance to get this considered a legal bdrm. Is the market different between 4 and 5 bedroom houses?

Answers

5
As a real estate professional I do not think it will add or detract value if your home can be marketed as a 4 or 5 bedroom home.
My expertise is in marketing homes. Some buyers will value 5 bedrooms more than 4 bedrooms and some buyers would rather have 4 bedrooms and an office.
What is a legal bedroom? Who enforces and watches for "legal bedrooms"?
If you were marketing a home that had 5 really small bedrooms will that be worth more than 4 larger rooms? The answer is it depends on the buyer.
If your home had less than three bedrooms it would have a smaller marketing audience.
If your goal is to have the greatest marketing appeal then the answer is, "It depends on the buyer."
I would not jump through a bunch of extra hoops.
Alan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 12, 2013
If it were me, I would create the egress if it is 10x10 or bigger, or just call it an office if it's smaller.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 12, 2013
I would take a look at the for sale comps in your area. It totally depends on the neighborhood. In some cases a 5th bedroom would be "too much house"and it would not pay for the investment. Look at it like you would a remodel for any other room in the house. You don't want to over do it. Square footage in the basement is sometimes counted at a different cost per sq. ft. in value as well and are you going to flip this house or live in it?
The fifth bedroom probably will not add that much added value. I do not think that Regoinal will give you a variance for that. I am sure they will require you to put in an egress window well.
It is better to have a 5 bedroom

crbirger@comcast.net