Home Buying in Towson>Question Details

Sharod, Home Buyer in Lutherville-Timonium,

Is it wise to purchase a home near Towson Town Center (Fairmount Ave and Dulaney Valley Rd Corridor)?

Asked by Sharod, Lutherville-Timonium, MD Mon May 6, 2013

We are looking at a townhouse in a gated condo community near Towson Town Center. Adjacent to the community is The Quarters, which we recently learned is now an Apartment community and NOT a condo community as initially advertised. We also learned that they are planning to raze the Dulaney Valley Apts and build more condos (The Quarters Part II?). Is it wise to invest in property near this kind of action? What are the risks? I like the feel of the neighborhood, but I don't want to put my money into a house that is doomed to lose its value. I'm also concerned b/c The Quarters is getting a bad rap from its tenants and I am not sure what type of residents the Quarters will attract in the coming years. They are already appear to be suffering from low occupancy.

Answers

7
Do not do it. There are too many options out there.
I actually own a townhome in the Dulaney Towers community and I can't say enough good things about it. It is like a little oasis in the middle of Towson... the condo board takes impeccable care of the grounds and the pool, rec area, playground are wonderful. Great neighbors, tight knit community, SAFE and walking distance to everything. We have 24 hour security! I couldn't recommend it more. Good luck!
Hi Sharrod,

Value tends to vary. Do you see yourself living there for several years until you are ready to purchase a bigger home as a your family grows?

I would recommend you doing some research to see the city plans for amenities for the area and check the area out yourself. I have seen a few negative reviews but people tend to be more motivated to write about a bad experience compared to good one.

Hi Sharod!

The Dulaney Towers community has been popular for many years in part because of the many amenities you get from living there. There is a pool, tennis courts, playground, and currently the monthly fees include these items.

It is a gated community, with guards at the entrance.

You never know what is going to happen to value in any given area. It isn't yet clear if the new proposed construction may be more expensive than the homes currently constructed, which could, in turn, possibly raise values.

There is no knowing who the occupants of a particular rental community will be, or how much turnover there may be.

There are other townhouse communities in Towson, but don't have the gated entrance or the amenities like the pool. It depends what your goal is, and what you really want in the long run.

If you are working with a real estate agent, talk to him/her. You'll need to figure out what is most important to you, to help you decide if this is the right location for you.

If you are not working with an agent, I'd love to talk with you more about your options, and find out what the best place may be for your needs.

Marney Kirk

Keller Williams Excellence Realty
I am actually interested in a towhouse in Dulaney Towers Condominiums.

I visited ApartmentRatings.com and saw SEVERAL negative reviews of The Quarters. Mostly complaints about the apartments not meeting Luxury standards and the fact the the management company has changed hands several times in a short period.

Again, I am just wondering what the buzz is out there?vis it risky to buy in that area considering the upcoming projects?
Checking on Yelp there is one review of the Quarters and it is not a good one but it is from 2011. I may be wrong, but I remember that they started out as 55 and older but did not sell so went the rental route.Towson real estate has always held its value, but I would begin with who is the builder of the townhomes are and what are they offering you for your money, ( upgrades, closing costs, etc) I grew up in Towson, and I also service that area. If you are not working with an agent, and you always should even with a new build, please give me a call and I will be happy to assist you.
Hi Sharod,

It is an area close to shopping and commuting. There are also some townhomes available for sale in the area. Have you considered them?

Karen B
Keller Williams