Kelly S., Other/Just Looking in Naples, FL

Is it wise to buy eastern exposure single family home (with pool) in southwest Florida? Will we miss out on beautiful sunsets?

Asked by Kelly S., Naples, FL Sat Jan 28, 2012

Water view

Buyers assume a wide variety of sun exposure when it comes to purchasing a home. Many part time buyers will want to maximize on the winter sun's exposure and thus will desire homes with southern exposure. Some will want the home positioned to take advantage of the prevailing winds, while others have not concern at all.

I like you thoughts...eastern exposure, with the back of the home facing west and catching those fantastic sunsets along with the hopes of having some pool southern exposure may be the perfect scenario.

Hope this is helpful.

I've had first-hand total opposite experience than that over the past two decades of selling real estate down here Jim... that's all I can tell you...
I've never had clients buy or not buy because of the exposure . . . . . .
If you select southern exposure, it will serve you best at resale time, if indeed you ever found yourself ever HAVING to, or CHOOSING to sell you property. It is by far the most often requested. Most Canadians (who are doing the majority of purchases in Paseo, where I live) won't even consider a property that doesn't have south/southwest exposure.
Really it depends on the individual. I have a lot of people that hate western exposure also....the sun beats into their living room in the evening.
Kelly, although those beautiful sunsets are marvelous, there is a cost that is often not taken into consideration.
Those western exposures will be exposed to direct sun throughout the afternoon. This expose, creates incredible heat and will render that part of the home unusable during the summer afternoons. When visiting those home with the 'sunset' potential, look for thermal windows and doors, expansive roof cover to create shade, and the absence of utilites in the view.

For many, the approach of sunset triggers the great lawn chair migration where neighbors will gather at the best location and celebrate the sunset as a community. Crystal Beach, Ozona and Dunedin Fl are all west cost communities that have such community binds. For more about these areas check out the community web site:

For home for sale, where you can select the orientation of the home as recorded in the area MLS visit:

Best of success in finding your new home.

As long as you are close to a western sunset view there, is no issue. Check these listings out.. To view the real estate information sent by Bob Dratler, please click the following link.
(If the above link does not work, please copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser.)
Southern exposure is seen by many as the best. Sun all day and it keeps the pool warm!